"Indie" / 7 ages of rock

tom pr

2) Laughing stocks though they may sometimes be, Britpop's female contingent - Bis, Echobelly, Sleeper, Dweeb, theaudience, Angelica, Helen Love, Dubstar, I could go on.. - produced a fairly sizable collection of good songs between them c. 1994-7
Sleeper's The It Girl is full of them, and is one of about three albums associated with Britpop that I still actually like...

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah I remember dubstar being pretty good as well. And Kenicke.

There was quite a lot of it wasn't there? An interesting trajectory from Riot Grrrl maybe?

swears

preppy-kei
One thing about britpop was that it took a lot of "alternative" or "underground" strands of guitar music into the mainstream, (even though they were reactionary and bland in a lot of cases) Could this be a possible future for electronic/dance scenes? A way of actually having some decent, innovative British pop again? I mean the idea of an indie band playing Knebworth would have seemed ridiculous in 1992...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
1) Elastica's music is better than Wire's music, however explicitly the former ripped off the latter
Possibly. I don't think they ever did anything quite as good as Map Reference, but at their best, before the smack set in, they were ace. Car Song is just amazing. BTW my somewhat distant claim to fame is that Justine jacked in architecture and took up music seriously after taking advice from my wife.

We saw them do Car Song on some BBC4 programme on Saturday night - Elastica totally rocked. Not as much as RadioHead, who were just incandescent, but really, really good.

2) Laughing stocks though they may sometimes be, Britpop's female contingent - Bis, Echobelly, Sleeper, Dweeb, theaudience, Angelica, Helen Love, Dubstar, I could go on.. - produced a fairly sizable collection of good songs between them c. 1994-7
Certainly there was more female representation in brit pop than in grime. Isn't the woman from Sleeper now a successful novelist?

john eden

male pale and stale
you are just annoyed cos fields of the nephilim and bahaus didn't get a mention!

(mr edens previous goth affiliations is dissensus worst kept secret!)

I should perhaps clarify that I have never owned a record by the Fields of the Nephillim.

I also recently sold all my Sisters of Mercy records, after spending an evening skipping through them and finding them very funny indeed.

bassnation

the abyss
I should perhaps clarify that I have never owned a record by the Fields of the Nephillim.

I also recently sold all my Sisters of Mercy records, after spending an evening skipping through them and finding them very funny indeed.

floodland is a good album, i don't care what anyone says. the eponymous track (floodland parts 1 & 2) is particularly great - still listen to them now. also worth checking is lambchops odd country & western cover version of this corrosion.

bet you haven't sold those jet black winkle pickers yet!

john eden

male pale and stale
floodland is a good album, i don't care what anyone says. the eponymous track (floodland parts 1 & 2) is particularly great - still listen to them now. also worth checking is lambchops odd country & western cover version of this corrosion.

This Corrosion is bonkers. I got caught by my other half listening to the 9 minute version, pissing myself laughing.

bet you haven't sold those jet black winkle pickers yet!

I resent that comment! I have NEVER... [looks down at feet]

Oh. :eek:

I like the man's voice in Sisters Of Mercy. There should be more singing like that.

I remember Oasis coming out and feeling really betrayed when friends who I had been to raves with etc. would play me Oasis, thinking, how can they like this when we all went crazy dancing to energy flash and agreed that didgeridoo was the mentalest thing ever?
etc.
I will never understand the appeal of what has come to be known as "indie".

I liked new order and stuff like that but that doesn't count any more, does it?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
indie is the music you like when you're 16
it doesn't matter which indie band is around then since they're all the same
they've been the same for 25 years

gumdrops

why modern indie is rubbish - guardian on the modern face of indie

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2121219,00.html
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/07/we_won_the_indie_wars_but_at_w.html

i find these interesting but am a bit tired of these articles now. great, people recognise indie has become mainstream corporate pop. well done. and yet thats all that seems to be covered in the main by the music media. whats the point? (and yes i know even that point has been discussed to the death)

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
I think it's also interesting to look at it from the "indie distribution" angle - the space opened up by idealists like Rough Trade and John Peel and legions of little lables and fanzines etc became a doorway for corporate rock and indeed gave "Indie" its name.

definitely...i'm sure many people are familiar with simon reynolds' 'rip it up and start again'...this had an excellent chapter on rough trade and the indie labels of the late 70's/ early 80's, these were the true originators of independent music- factory, postcard etc

i guess now it's more a generic term but as people have been saying it's definition has been shifting ever since it turned up in print. i hate it when you refer to indie music andt he casual music listener immediately berates you for the sins of snow patrol, coldplay, oasis etc. these guys have nothing on the Swell Maps...they produced, printed and made the sleeves for their records before carting them off to be distributed among the co-operative network of independent record shops. plus their music was experimental DIY brilliance.
it's a shame that idealism you see in the likes of Tony Wilson disappears once major label support becomes necessary for bands that get a break and want decent worldwide distribution...
grime's got it down - keep it English!
i won't even start on the Fall lest i don't stop:eek: