Grime as therapy

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
arguably the most emotive grime track ever? i'm sure there are other contenders but it's definitely up there. i remember watching the end of some jet li film on bbc1 at like 2am a few years ago, and the credits rolled.. and the theme music was the source of the sample in 'this ain't a game' - that really made me happy at the time.

Discarda's version of Ruff Sqwad's "Havana' - "it's alright dad, I'll carry on being your son/ but what you did / to me and mum / was bang out of order", heartbreaking.

Noah Baby Food

That's interesting - I had presumed the riff was made by Jammer from a sound he'd come up with. Let me know if you can remember the name of the film in question...

I SWEAR this music is from a dream sequence in The Big Lebowski. Trying to find out what it's called..

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Just like to say I totally agree, and as someone who makes and listens to music I can totally relate. This is the highest goal of any music, to make people happy and help them understand and survive their lives.

As someone who's also been subject to intense moodswings and external ups and downs in my life I've always felt the stiff, un-self-pitying, aggressive survivalist, self-motivating, self-asserting aspects of hiphop, reggae and grime to be some of my best medicine.

If I am down I absolutely cannot listen to some mopey self pitying shit. This may offend, but I really think all the people making and listening to all that mopey emo music are only able to do that and go around acting depressed because their lives are fundamentally not that bad. When confronted with true threats to survival, sanity, happiness, moping, for me, is just absolutely not an option.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This may offend, but I really think all the people making and listening to all that mopey emo music are only able to do that and go around acting depressed because their lives are fundamentally not that bad. When confronted with true threats to survival, sanity, happiness, moping, for me, is just absolutely not an option.

You mean you don't even listen to sweet soul music? No Luther, no Alexander O'Neal, no Anita Baker?

mos dan

fact music
Discarda's version of Ruff Sqwad's "Havana' - "it's alright dad, I'll carry on being your son/ but what you did / to me and mum / was bang out of order", heartbreaking.

where can i find this?

re: the riff in 'this ain't a game' - i really don't think it was in big lebowski, i've seen that film so many times i'm sure i would've spotted it. just wish i knew which jet li film it was i was watching that time...

mos dan

fact music
where can i find this?

re: the riff in 'this ain't a game' - i really don't think it was in big lebowski, i've seen that film so many times i'm sure i would've spotted it. just wish i knew which jet li film it was i was watching that time...

god i wish i was able to spend my time constructively...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0108281/

(check 4 minutes in - the tune played over the film's credits if i recall)

*feels overwhelming sense of satisfaction at half an hour well spent* :rolleyes:

Noah Baby Food

It's DEFINITELY used in a dream sequence in some film or other...I may be wrong with The Big Lebowski....arrrrrgh this is frustrating me! I remember being impressed when I saw it, as I too never knew it was a sample. Dammit, I will find out!

gumdrops

common's the people is just a diff feeling to grime cos its got soulful properties. grime is essentially soulless and lacking in any sort of content. which is what i like about it in a way. but too much of it and you kinda want something a bit extra. something with some depth. god that sounds boring i know but its true.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
common's the people is just a diff feeling to grime cos its got soulful properties. grime is essentially soulless and lacking in any sort of content. which is what i like about it in a way. but too much of it and you kinda want something a bit extra. something with some depth. god that sounds boring i know but its true.

Is this really true tho? As numerous people have said during the course of this thread, there ARE extremely emotive songs dotted throughout grime. Added to which, there's hardly a surfeit of hip-hop with content and soul (which, as for you, is not at all to say that I don't like a lot of it) - Common is a rare exception, perhaps. Grime perhaps 'suffers' in this regard because it hasn't spread as far as hip-hop (to be really obvious), and because (perhaps, again) the suffocating masculinity that smothers openly emotive content is stronger in London's grime community than elsewhere?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Sorry gumdrops, you're just wrong there.

Look at Wiley's tune to his mum on tunnel vision 6, Dizzee's first album, Durrty Goodz tune with NY on his new EP, Ears' Happy Days, Skepta Sweet Mother, Jammer's Ghost Town, Chronik's 'Domestic Violence', Ruff Squad's 'Died In Your Arms', the aforementioned Sharky Major tune. There's loads and loads of em. I don't know what your ideas of 'content' or 'soul' are but... Just no, you are wrong.

I used to love Common but he became a preachy, bougie, boring motherfucker and I hate him for it. Resurrection is one of the best hiphop albums ever, which makes basically everything he's done since then all the more unforgivable. If your idea of 'soul' is that type of fort greene self congratulatory neo-soul head-wrappery, I don't know what to say. Haven't heard the tune in question tho, a time for googling.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
youtube is not working at my job properly, but by the first ten seconds I am not impressed. Common should stick to acting and promoting his old records.

This is why:

gumdrops

sizzle, totally agree with your assessment of common but as far as those tracks you mentioned from wiley, dizzee, ruff sqwad etc etc, i just find many of those incredibly cheesy and corny, kind of like the grime equivalents of that TI song with jamie foxxx or less offensive on the banality scale but kinda in the same ballpark as something like puff daddys ill be missing or the lox' well always love you big poppa. a bit cheesy.