joe.dfx

who knows...
anyone else feeling the new(ish) Night Slugs release by Girl Unit - "IRL"?

some seriously next level stuff here imo

(and dont tell me to ask the funky thread cuz im not about to get slated by that crew =P)

Benny Bunter

anyone else feeling the new(ish) Night Slugs release by Girl Unit - "IRL"?

some seriously next level stuff here imo

(and dont tell me to ask the funky thread cuz im not about to get slated by that crew =P)

I like it, equal parts Juke, Funky and Dubstep. I'm usually a bit cynical about this sort of hybrid stuff but I can't help liking a lot of the new Night Slugs records. The DVA mix is cool.

This is also very good, a swedish producer I think: http://boomkat.com/vinyl/306074-mar...mat-bira-kvinnor-weed-bok-bok-girl-unit-mixes

joe.dfx

who knows...
yeah i like that one too...been feeling alot of stuff on that tip lately...the mid 130s seem to be pushing producers in some pretty cool directions (the freedom from being labeled "dubstep" helps id imagine)

sorry for the spamage, but I'm selling some dubstep ATM if anyone is interested:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=stout
http://www.dubstepforum.com/dubstep-records-for-sale-dmz-deep-medi-hyperdub-more-t143818.html

like stated elsewhere anything reasonable wont be refused :)

pm me here if anyone's interested.

*end spam*

dave

the day today tonight
If "hip-hop stuff" includes Chali 2na (ex-Jurassic Park, maybe one of the most annoying MCs ever, imo) over a Rusko beat, then... I think it's not very good.

Rapping in time to LFOs (wobble) = worst idea ever

Free download / stream on rcrdlbl.com if you want to hear it... it is at least funny, but not intentionally.
That tune is abysmal.

dave

the day today tonight
When he played in NZ in October he played some werid stuff, ~155BPM (at a guess) .

*snip*

There was about 20mins of it if I recall correctly.
Hey Dr Awesome,
Loefah was the best eh, he played a bunch of militant stuff at that gig too, it sounded like rampaging drums of death to me. That was the first set in a long time when I didn't know what the hell was being played and totally loved it. More!!! Stoked to hear Ramadanman's "Work Them" is coming on Swamp 81 too, check a clip here.

*edit* just read this and totally agree, that sounds like another way of describing what he was playing:
i think its less juke, tho there may be some, more that the direction swamp wanna nail is 'dark 808 drum machine shit'.

mms

sometimes
Hey Dr Awesome,
Loefah was the best eh, he played a bunch of militant stuff at that gig too, it sounded like rampaging drums of death to me. That was the first set in a long time when I didn't know what the hell was being played and totally loved it. More!!! Stoked to hear Ramadanman's "Work Them" is coming on Swamp 81 too, check a clip here.

*edit* just read this and totally agree, that sounds like another way of describing what he was playing:
cool work them is his best track by a distance/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Work them is tough

Swamp81 has been a very good label so far, even though I'm not into the kryptic minds stuff that much. The artwork is always snazz.

Is any of this new stuff loe's playing by him?

mms

sometimes
Work them is tough

Swamp81 has been a very good label so far, even though I'm not into the kryptic minds stuff that much. The artwork is always snazz.

Is any of this new stuff loe's playing by him?

that footcrab is pretty much trax artwork innit

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That reference was completely lost on me as I don't know what Trax records look like lol

Quite like this one for the skream tune

tumblr_kzbkjsgDpT1qzcx40o1_500.jpg

benw

anyone got the 30th april fwd vs rinse oneman and sbtrkt sets? they were sent out in an email by fwd but the download links are dead.

hopper

that clip of oneman playing work them at dmz sounds so so good. Been finding recently that often recordings of a dance tune being played on a system kinda makes you 'get' a tune sometimes - as you understand the physicality of the all the parts quite a bit more. One of my mates who's not so into dance music was saying that about sonar recordings of skream's set from a few years back - weird how it changes things.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
that clip of oneman playing work them at dmz sounds so so good. Been finding recently that often recordings of a dance tune being played on a system kinda makes you 'get' a tune sometimes - as you understand the physicality of the all the parts quite a bit more. One of my mates who's not so into dance music was saying that about sonar recordings of skream's set from a few years back - weird how it changes things.

You can hear the distortion/vibration of the bass on live recordings, the same thing happens with some recordings of pirate radio. That bootleg of the Kode 9 set recently was pretty bad quality in a way but I liked it cos you could hear all the bass vibrations, makes tunes sound completely different. Reminds me of going to PPeople and hearing tunes in a compeltely different way.

Dusty

Tone deaf
What happened to DMZ digital downloads? I bought DMZ001 - 008 ages ago on Bleep. Just been back to see if more recent releases were up and theres now nothing at all. They pulled them because of a dislike of the digital format?

Probably means the new Mala album will be vinyl-only as well then. Bugger.