Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Nice suggestions coming through folks, we should put out a Best Of Wobble retrospective comp and make our millions! ;)

Would have to admit that I'm sort of one of the doubters when it comes to Coki. A few things, like Spongebob and Burning, are great, but when it comes to things like Tortured and Shattered, I dunno.... whilst I admire the inovation and sonic distinctiveness of them, as listening experiences I do find them a wee bit dull (Shattered being the better of the two though). But still, there are much worse things out there.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
but when it comes to things like Tortured and Shattered, I dunno.... whilst I admire the inovation and sonic distinctiveness of them, as listening experiences I do find them a wee bit dull (Shattered being the better of the two though). But still, there are much worse things out there.

nah, anthems... don't blame them for what came after. They were BIG tunes in the post 'ice-cold', moving out of London 2nd/3rd phase. Certainly in Leeds, iirc

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I absolutely love Tortured, but it's impossible to separate the actual track from hearing it for the first time at a DMZ and thinking it was the maddest shit I'd ever heard, grinning ear to ear and a whole crew of us yelling it each other all the way home. If I just listened to it now after all the stuff that's come after it I might very well be less impressed. That's the advantage of having been 'involved' with the scene to such a degree I suppose.

It's aged much better than Burnin IMO, I've never quite recovered my enjoyment of that tune after it was battered to death. Hearing it drop 12+ times in one night seems to have completely broken it for me.

Another nomination: the 2000F remix of that Natasja tune. The one on Kraken. can't remember it's name off hand. It's great, and quite recent too.

Last edited:

faustus

Another nomination: the 200F remix of that Natasja tune. The one on Kraken. can't remember it's name off hand. It's great, and quite recent too.

yeah and that 2000f one with riko, copenhagen big murderah or something. that's wobble used properly

@whoever said 28g, thats not really 'wobble' in the sense people mean is it? like pinch - war dub... tunes that are actually wobbly, not just abrasive quasi-dnb rubbish

unclerico

i think some "wobble" tracks are amazing and genuinely psychedelic

things like "goblin" and "robotnik" by coki, and "benga's off his head" by benga, "3kout" by Jakes etc. are incredible and really pretty experimental and off the wall

i think the problem is more the boring imitators or the full on non-stop wobblefest sets

needs a bit of light and shade not just constant adrenaline

Last edited:

franz

on wub, i'd comp for Hoods Up by TRG and Worms by Clouds... Sukh Knight's Jinglist is pretty simple, but it seems to swing just right somehow...

edit:
radio 'ness: i'm hoping/guessing that audio from the latest Blackdown and Dusk set is yet forthcoming (as opposed to not)?
in the mean time the most recent Ramadanman Ruffage session is doing it for me just fine. there's been a good run of about 5 amazing tracks in a row now, from the Roska remix of Untold straight through to Shortstuff and Mickey Pierce. dunno what thread most of this music belongs in anymore, but it sure is a pleasure.

Last edited:
caspa, through his dub police and sub soldiers labels, his fabric release and constant globetrotting gigging, has in his current incarnation, and his previous (quiet storm of seminal breakstep label storming productions) done more to internationalise dubstep and define its sound than pretty much anybody.massive props to him!

so the trouble i see with the backlash, is that i dont think the UK blognoscenti and established literati are ready for his jelly (wobble that is) cos his beats are just far too bootylicious for them, but yes also to imply a certain amount of jealousy

it's like how things turned on so solid and killed garage despite the fact they were making some of the freshest beats in the world at the time or how they all jumped on burials dick despite the fact it was sub par noodlings but had a hi brow marketing ploy

you think if caspa had represented himself as a serious artist instead of a lad out for a good time people would cut him some slack?

hopper

Yeh, good discussions on the wobblestep - I remember hearing tracks like Redeye and Tortured for the firt time at clubs about 2 and a half years and thinking it was some of the best shit I'd ever heard. As all you guys are saying its the context of the tracks that matters. When a decent wobble track is dropped in a set full of other wobble songs then there is absolutely no impact, especially when the huge majority are inescapably shit and kinda cast a shadow over the good ones.

What came first, earth a run red or haunted? I thought haunted was the track that started the whole thing off.

Also, harsh on Rusko, I met him a few times a couple of years ago and he came across as a really nice bloke who really loved his music - and had an obsession with digidub - dunno what he's like now though

spooks

Militant black tie
Also, harsh on Rusko, I met him a few times a couple of years ago and he came across as a really nice bloke who really loved his music - and had an obsession with digidub - dunno what he's like now though

I was really really unimpressed when I heard that one of the tunes on that first Dub Police EP was a massive massive theft of a Jahtari digidub tune though...like ridiculously so...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i think some "wobble" tracks are amazing and genuinely psychedelic

things like "goblin" and "robotnik" by coki, and "benga's off his head" by benga, "3kout" by Jakes etc. are incredible and really pretty experimental and off the wall

i think the problem is more the boring imitators or the full on non-stop wobblefest sets

needs a bit of light and shade not just constant adrenaline
There's actually a kind of self-denying satisfaction to hearing really one dimensional music sometimes, though, and I guess a bit of wobble falls into that. Sort of like two-step bassliney gangsta jungle - it's quite thrilling in a post-human way.

It always makes me a bit nervous when a scene starts self-policing against certain tropes. Although I guess it may be a symptom of the rate of innovation levelling off rather than a cause - people starting to look for someone to blame for things not being as good as they used to be, rather than being excited about how good stuff is now. I'm kind of in two minds, though. I suspect that after comparing Oneman to N-Type at forward tonight I'll be back to the Ban Wobble placards.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Big up Ramadanman for a classy set last night. Especially for playing such blinding diverse stuff to a crowd including a fair percentage of shoreditch twats waiting for N-Type to come on and play some wobble...

Big night all round in fact - I even managed to survive a bit of N-Type thanks to the bonus MC presence.

Kromestar AKA Droid- Scotty

It's an example of how fun ridiculously wobbling basslines can be

Also this classic from 2001, think it's musical mob's Youngstar with Shut Up & dance

Alfons

Way of the future
anyone have a recording of the last fwd by any chance? Would like to hear the Oneman and Ramadanman sets.

alex

Do not read this.
definately^^

also, has anybody's latest hotflush release arrived as of yet?

Itching for mine!"!!

gumdrops

this ramadanman mix for appleblims site is brilliant (the luda track dropped in the middle was a bit wtf tho lol).