Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Dubstep forum is just cringeworthy in general though isn't it? Virtually no real discussion at all, and tons of self-promoting spam to wade through. Shite.
In depth discussion isn't really the point, though, is it? It's kind of a hub of information and a jumping in point for noobs. I find it pretty useful for listings, for keeping roughly on top of what's going on, and for the occasional funny bits (I mean the intentionally funny bits, not just the people with no self-awareness who post in 'negative' threads to say "this thread is shit, if you don't like something you should ignore it rather than making negative comments about it...")

benjybars

village elder.
In depth discussion isn't really the point, though, is it? It's kind of a hub of information and a jumping in point for noobs. I find it pretty useful for listings, for keeping roughly on top of what's going on, and for the occasional funny bits (I mean the intentionally funny bits, not just the people with no self-awareness who post in 'negative' threads to say "this thread is shit, if you don't like something you should ignore it rather than making negative comments about it...")

agreed.

for general info DSF is quality really.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
pretty sure fwd tonight will be rammo blammo. i'm working till 10 (much to my chagrin) but i'm gonna get a cab straight to PP and try and catch the last hour or so of kode. not holding out much hope of getting in though :eek:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Benga played here this weekend and it was the one of the single worst things I have ever seen in a night club.

franz

he also wrote Loose Synths--great for entirely different reasons... along with a handful of other tracks on that album.

can't have been worse than N-Type in Van, last night. but then i should have known better than to go... people were into it...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
He's probably an anti-banger-ist. What did you expect from the guy that wrote 26 Basslines & Night though?

Actually if he just stuck to playing tunes like 26 Basslines and Night I would've walked away mildly contented. He played maybe 4 decent tunes, and the rest was virtually the exact same mid-range aggro-"banger" for an hour and a bit straight with the sample and frequency changing slightly every 5 minutes.

On top of that, he trainwrecked almost every single mix, the needles skipped on every tune because a bunch of girls were jumping around on the stage and no one would tell them to get off, and he would do this loop effect on his turntable so you'd be listening to one single pulse of a riddim for a good 45 seconds while he picked his next tune.

Just atrocious. And one of the biggest turn outs I've seen to a dubstep night in Toronto to date. It's amazing to think that early DMZ/Skream/Loefah tunes a few years ago used to alienate people, but now they are quite content to listen to this, which for me is about as alienating as it gets.

And no, he didn't try to hit on my girlfriend, haha. Not this time. I'm sure a large quantity of sweaty, K-snorting, aging male drum and bass crusties tried to hit on him though.

he would do this loop effect on his turntable so you'd be listening to one single pulse of a riddim for a good 45 seconds while he picked his next tune.

I actually thought this was quite a good idea from Benga, gives the crowd a small breather now and again which they need. But honestly what else did you expect from him ?

alex

Do not read this.
yea that sounds like skream's set i heard on rinse @ fwd a few weeks ago, Sgt. Pokes kidding himself that nearly EVERY tune deserved a RWD when they barely even deserve a play.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It's kind of depressing how many of the original innovators I see as a reason to avoid a night rather than a reason to seek it out these days.

Or at least, it would be if there wasn't loads of other good stuff around at the moment.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
It's kind of depressing how many of the original innovators I see as a reason to avoid a night rather than a reason to seek it out these days.

Or at least, it would be if there wasn't loads of other good stuff around at the moment.

Trying to innovate always leaves the risk of being diluted and left behind. It's easier to insulate yourself.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
FWD was fkking great last night. Slimzee dropping the grime classics, ending with Lil Silva and Anti War Dub, which was a surprise. Mark Pritchard was a really varied and coherant set, moving up from kinda dense soca-y halfstep stuff through to classic jungle ('your sound' and 'bambaata') and then finally a ruff squad instrumental. 9 did his thing, the highlight of which was either an insane mix of Gee ft Ms Dynamite into Black Sun or Ikonika "Fish". Rammo and SO hot in there!

viktorvaughn

I didn't think he quite strung the different style together somehow...it was nice (and surprising) hearing Havana out and about though. Kode9 was pretty fun, lot's of quite urgent stuff. It was like dancing in a sauna! There was one insane gentleman near wearing a beanie and a big outdoor jacket.

Wish Slimzee had been on 9-10.