gumdrops

yeah i think saying its the new detroit is a bit OTT. the thing thats made dubstep change so much and 'exciting' is that its absorbed so much from elsewhere, which is whats led to a lot of it no longer sounding much like dubstep, well except for a certain sensibility/aesthetic. its really not about dubstep influencing everyone in other scenes, more that dubstep now houses elements of all those scenes inside itself. yeah eve vocalled a benga beat but its not exactly like everyone in american hip hop is stealing ideas from dubstep.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
but the article goes on like it's some kind of year zero for the whole of dance music. Which is getting a bit silly...

Yeah, if something is a dramatic shift in direction its detractors usually say stuff like "it's too weird", "it's no longer music", "i don't understand what this even is!" etc.

Around the time Loefah and so on were first doing their thing dubstep's detractors said stuff like "I've heard it all before", "it's boring", "it's just DNB slowed down", etc.

benjybars

village elder.
it wasn't near popular enough to know about, never mind hate on

exactly. not like people were banging on about how boring Horror Show was.. it must have sold about 12 copies when it was initially released.

I went to that Swamp 81 thing at gramaphone last night. system was surprisingly tasty.
instramental played some insane Ramadanman bit which i think is coming on that double pack.

also heard one Addison Groove which knocked me sideways.

benny ill really can't mix that well can he?!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it wasn't near popular enough to know about, never mind hate on

bollocks. for the record there was a lot of...

d&b fans: it's too slow
grime heads: it's too small a scene
garage heads: it's too dark/wierd
bloggers/critics: it's not as good as garage
breaks heads: it's too slow
everyone else: it will never go anywhere.

i'm not trying to be vitriolic, but it's fact that there was no end of people writing it off.

PS anyone want to chime in here? apparantly chainsaw wobble is souful and dubstep before 2004 doesnt count.

gumdrops

i remember loads of people just from this forum slagging it off around 2004. those rephlex comps really raised the profile early on, even if it was under grime and people werent too sure what dubstep was exactly.

gumdrops

yeah i suppose it doesnt really matter if they think its shite cos its boring/rave preservation society/slowed down D&B/rhythmically plodding/over production hiding a paucity of ideas (i came up with quite a few reasons lol), people getting quite angry about something being shit for whatever reason usually means something is happening. though what does this mean if lots of people think something is just good? does that mean its shite?

nomos

Administrator

i'm not trying to be vitriolic, but it's fact that there was no end of people writing it off.

OTM. Virtually no one wanted to know before March 2006 and they weren't shy about saying it. Then, a great many either got on board, or took the subsequent deluge of shit productions as after the fact support for the misinformed critiques they'd been spinning off for a couple years previous (e.g. "See! This awful no-name half-step wobble from fall 2006 totally speaks to my complaints about Plasticman and Slaughter Mob in early-2004," etc.).

I guess I am being vitriolic. That stuff really got up my nose though. :p

mms

sometimes

PS anyone want to chime in here? apparantly chainsaw wobble is souful and dubstep before 2004 doesnt count.

yep i remember a review of plastician and markone in one room and kompakt in other in nyc and the writer wrote the first off as the past and kompakt as the future which was confusing.

mms

sometimes
"what you have to understand is that we make what we like

and at the moment caspa and rusko makes the kind of dubstep that makes you wanna flykick a homeless person

Thats what we like so thats what we create "

Nice

thats funny because for me they make the kind of music that makes me want to fly kick them

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
thats funny because for me they make the kind of music that makes me want to fly kick them
IIRC the funniest thing about that thread (and loads like it) was that the people posting that got really arsey when other people brought "negativity" into it...