TOSSER ALERT! vincent gallo to curate all tomorrow's parties

mms

sometimes
bleep said:
Koner is quite the dronemeister.

but he's not drone perse - too gaseous to be drone maybe - i've never thought of him as a drone guy - i mean it's real ambience like something hanging in the air .

DJ PIMP

Oh yes well sure if you want to be specific. I just use "drone" as a convenient catchall for music thats textural, doesn't change a lot, and kind of you know, goes on and on.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'm not a huge fan, but I'm admiring and respecting Gallo's work the more I discover it. I think 'Buffalo 66' and 'The Brown Bunny' to be two of the more SINGULAR and VISIONARY American indie-films made in recent times. He hasn't made a 'masterpiece' yet, but I reckon he's about 2-3 films off making one.

His music is also really good, in fact it's as good as any of the Depresso-Indie/freak-folk stuff going - it's as good as anything by Cat Power, Smog, Place etc AND it's unique in its own right. He does that 3rd Velvets album meets Chet Baker thing really, really well - effortless almost, and thats no mean feat.

I find Gallo to be in a bit of a quandary, because he's so HIP and TALENTEDand he's not afraid to challenge the perceptions of his audience, especially politically and idelogically - via his Republican views, bagging of gays and the art establishment in general, his over-the-top narcissism. But I find most of that a defense mechanism, becuase he just happens to be so HIP, TALENTED, PRETTY, COOL etc, I figger its part an ENVY thing, and part of a MEDIA MANIPULATION thing ala the Andy Warhol thing and say LOU REED'S persona. He's probably all too aware of the inherent bitchiness of his audience, critics, media, he's just fucking them back basically. and why the fuck not?

mms

sometimes
i thought his two albums were really suprisingly great - i was very surprised given the man he is - ie an attention seeking bitter control freak racist and homophobe. Not sure if all the racisim and homophobia is a bit of a joke but the complete and utter rudeness and narcissism with no respect for anyone else is very real .

zhao

there are no accidents
most of his output, movies and music, annoys me, some of it creeps me out, and a few moments were a little touching. yet I have tremendous respect for the guy (not pity). he is much much more interesting than most humans, especially the famous ones.

has anyone seen this old school hiphop video from like, 1981 or something, the classic dance video that many have sampled (including Beasties), with all these freaks wearing home made outfits like buckets on their heads "getting fresh" and body rocking to the beat... on the floor is this dumb looking eye-talian kid, who looks like he just got off the boat, wearing a white body-suit with suspenders and a white hat, who can't dance AT ALL, and is just bopping his head with the goofiest grin on his face - it was 4 AM at a party and I was like "is that... Vicent Gallo?!" this chick next to me was like "yup!"

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
most of his output, movies and music, annoys me, some of it creeps me out, and a few moments were a little touching. yet I have tremendous respect for the guy (not pity). he is much much more interesting than most humans, especially the famous ones.

has anyone seen this old school hiphop video from like, 1981 or something, the classic dance video that many have sampled (including Beasties), with all these freaks wearing home made outfits like buckets on their heads "getting fresh" and body rocking to the beat... on the floor is this dumb looking eye-talian kid, who looks like he just got off the boat, wearing a white body-suit with suspenders and a white hat, who can't dance AT ALL, and is just bopping his head with the goofiest grin on his face - it was 4 AM at a party and I was like "is that... Vicent Gallo?!" this chick next to me was like "yup!"

i have yes - the other thing about gallo is he will definitley appear in lots of straight to video crap in order to finance his films and lifestyle etc - seen him in some terrible shite - i wonder if his viewand attitude have'nt annexed himself somewhat in the filmworld

jd_

**maybe this post needs a spoiler warning??***

I wasn't sold on Brown Bunny until the end (after the blowjob scene) when you realise what it's all about and your view of him is totally changed. It made the whole movie seem like The Swimmer or something. I haven't tried watching it again, but I'd like to at least watch that scene with her family to see how it plays the second time.

Last edited: