best lyrics everything.
pumping music slick djs
smoke machines
laser rays

or however it goes...
nocera, shes good too

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone heard Pitbull's 'Fuego', which samples 'When I Hear Music'? The bit where the glockenspiel riff (? I'm no good with instruments - it's probably a Belgian double-thronged horn or something) comes in, and he goes "Oh, I see what it is", is a pop moment and a half. :)

MankyFiver

this stuff sounds fucking 'A'

love xena - on the upside

so definitely gonna seek out more

is vena cava - john robie freestyle? its got the clunky drums but no singing though

I don't know that, can you post it?

John Robie did the programming and keys on many great records:

Soul Sonic Force-Planet Rock
Planet Patrol-Play At Your Own Risk
C-Bank-One More Shot
New Order-Confusion

and a zillion others. instantly identifiable sound.

I chatted to him on the phone once, I have no idea how or why, but he seemed quite unhappy about all the credit going to others.

Thanks for that, what an odd track.
I wonder when it came out....

I wouldn't say it's freestyle at all. Just a weird electronic funky piece of music.

MankyFiver

according to discogs 1982

yes it is weird, the saxaphone suddenly appears out of nowhere, but i like the way it sounds like its played in real time, espeically at the end where all these stabs come in

bit of a fave for me

but ill seek out the other recommendations

Woebot

If you are in NYC, there are still more freestyle records rotting there than in the rest of the world put together. Go to the Thing in Green Point or drive out to Jersey and go to any mom n pop record store, there will be a box of old freestyle that's been there for 15 years....

@nomadologist. i picked up latin rascals "bach to the future", xena "on the upside" and the cover girls "show me" at greenpoint though i probably could have walked out with a wheelbarrow of the stuff.

amaretto "clave rocks" is a tune i'd like on vinyl.

redcrescent

Some good calls here, personally I always thought the dubby flipsides of freestyle 12"s had all the real action, "On the Upside (Dub)" or the Shannon tracks are just incredible.

Those Hot 105 mixtapes on apollojams.com (bass & freestyle section) look very tasty, the tracklistings alone are enough to make you drool.

Woe, Amoretto is easy to find in NYC, the dub mix on the 12 is awesome, will have a look for it for you next month.

Bach To The Future is awful, no? Nice cover though.

echevarian

babylon sister
http://www.mediafire.com/?btoxcfn2szf

Here's a mix by Bad Boy Bill on WBMX in 88.

Its mostly house, but its got some Freestyle interspersed with Acid and some Hip-House.

I downloaded it off the Deep House Archive a couple years back.

They've still got it up there, but only as a Real Audio file, so I thought I'd share.

Edward, any chance of IDing a few of these Freestyle tracks?

drilla

shit, thanks for this mix. can anyone ID the track that starts exactly 4 minutes in, vocal house track with the lyrics "you're too vain", and halfway through there is this amazing cut up female vocal brimming with emotion... is that in the 'vain' song in the original or is the deejay just cutting it in, and if so, what track is that?

Wow this is cool.
I'm afraid I don't know loads of the tracks but:

The one Drilla likes is JM Silk - All In Vain (later known as steve silk hurley)

at about 8:20 - Never Let You Go by Sweet Sensation

starting at 9:00 - Bad Of The Heart by George Lamond (originally released under the name Loose Touch

12:05 - Inside Outside by Cover Girls

15:00 - really sounds like something on the Metropolitan label but Im not sure which one

don't know the next lot... :-/

20:40 - Come Back To Me by Edmond

24:00 - Hard House - Check This Out (Todd Terry)

don't know the next one

27:00 - Don't Lead Me by Housemaster Baldwin featuring Paris Grey, sounds like a Mike Hitman Wilson mix

30:00 - Pump Up Chicago by Mr Lee

i'm too lazy to go through all the house & techno ones at the end

echevarian

babylon sister
Thanks for the track ID's.

I didn't expect you to do the whole thing,
but you did get most of the ones I was curious about.

This is one of my favorite mixes from the time.

Glad everyone likes it.

Hi

Great thread. Bought lots of this stuff when it came out and used to play it on the radio. There's were very few people into it in london but Black Market used to stock it. My friend and I became obsessed by it and we ran a short lived latin hip hop club in the autumn of 88. I later found out that a lot of the d&b bods like Nicky Blackmarket were into it which sort of makes sense.

I haven't really thought about this stuff for nearly 20 years so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty. Here's some other stuff that hasn't been mentioned which is worth checking out.

'Cutting Remixes Vol 1 - Various Artists' (Cutting) which as you might imagine is remixes of stuff on cutting records. It has the most amazing version of Nitro Deluxe's Let's Get Brutal on it as well as Sa-Fire, Hashim, etc. It's almost worth picking up for the cover alone, which has a group shot of virtually anyone who was anyone on the latin hip hop scene on the back. All stone washed and mulleted.

Introduction To Latin Hip Hop - Various (Rhythm King) I think this might have been mentioned. Great sleeve with computer pixilated images which seemed incredibly cutting edge but now probably just looks kitch. Rhythm King artist Tim Simenon also did a latin track on his first Bomb The Bass album - it was Ok but the best UK effort was obviously PSB's Domino Dancing which was produced by the guy who did the Expose stuff.

Tony G 'Tony's Song' (Mic Mac). on the legendary Mic Mac label. That was a tough track with the Tony Montana stuff from Scarface over a synth beat. The other stuff on Mic Mac always had very dodgy vocals but the edits were good.

Information Society 'Running' (Tommy Boy). An out and out classic.

After Dark ?????????? (Profile) can't remember the name of the track but it has Carlos Berios at his peak on the edits.

Nocera 'Summertime' (Sleeping Bag) Before discounting the crossover between Italy and hispanic New York, I've got a feeling that Nocera was actually Italian. Anyway, a Mantronix classic with a great song (a rarity on the Latin hip hop scene). Chep on the edits I believe.

Chey Anne 'I've Waited Too Long' (Capital). One of the great cult records of all time. An R&B track with latin style remixes - this record defies description and was very very ahead of its time. It's got a mix called the 'heavenly dub' which is absolutely out to lunch but very beautiful with someone going crazy on the Emulator and edit block.