What do you do?

N

nomadologist

Teaching assistant at university + preparing PhD in (theoretical) sociology.

do you know the best PhD programs in your country? i'm applying either this year or next and i'm doing either sociology, media ecology, or sociology of media/communications. thanks :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I too wanted to be a Journalist but after I worked as an intern at New Statesman i changed my mind. Bare schmoozing/fake idiots.

:eek: I went the same path. To be honest the NS was better than my stint at T2.... people 'brain'storming article ideas such as "Why it's difficult for tall girls". Although at the NS I did get to see a drunk Darcus Howe ask everyone the way back to Brixton (from Victoria)...that was kinda embarrassing for everyone.

I work as a charity whore. Not literally. That would be something else entirely.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
there is an agency in the US that allows people to "trade" jobs for a certain amount of time, which i think is an awesome idea.

I answered on the first page! That agency sounds like a brilliant idea, d'yer know the name of it zhao?

Dusty

Tone deaf
I'm a graphic designer. The pay is nothing, I'm also currently writing on this forum to avoid finishing my Masters Degree final project, which is due in, in ... ooh 8 days. I'm in the shit.

N

nomadologist

I'm a graphic designer. The pay is nothing, I'm also currently writing on this forum to avoid finishing my Masters Degree final project, which is due in, in ... ooh 8 days. I'm in the shit.

high five, i'm like 10 days overdue on my midterms. whee.

zhao

there are no accidents
I answered on the first page! That agency sounds like a brilliant idea, d'yer know the name of it zhao?

i think i heard about it on NPR once... they interviewed the guy or gal that started that agency, and it was becoming really successful. they provide training programs and allow people to trade jobs for a certain amount of time... don't remember the name though. did a tantative search (for about 30 seconds) but found nothing...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
i think i heard about it on NPR once... they interviewed the guy or gal that started that agency, and it was becoming really successful. they provide training programs and allow people to trade jobs for a certain amount of time... don't remember the name though. did a tantative search (for about 30 seconds) but found nothing...

Was it the one that did loads of hotdesking as well? If I remember correctly it all ended in tears.

zhao

there are no accidents
what's "hotdesking"? i don't know what yer on about (doubt it's the same as what i mean) but why did it "end in tears"???

I started a business with my brother 4 years ago and we employ my dad, my brother's best mate, a champion cage fighter (he's a really nice fella and runs our workshop) and a driver. I run the website, find new products and write our communications. I'm not much of a team player and vowed never to work for anyone else again so I;m grateful it's been possible.

If I could do anything else, I'd love to be able to make a living from music. Anyone who does that has my undying respect, as long as they're not totally shit. My dad started a blues band last year - he's great on lead guitar, but never got around to passing this on to his sons.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
what's "hotdesking"? i don't know what yer on about (doubt it's the same as what i mean) but why did it "end in tears"???

Hotdesking is when you don't sit at the same desk all the time, you pick up a handsfree and just sit at any terminal and log on. I think St.Lukes agency was really big on it and anything run by a "committee" usually does end it tears - proper snake pits if you ask me.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
still not entirely sure what you are talking about martin dust, but the thing i heard about is like, say you are a car salesman and want to work on a farm for a year, you would sign up and they would find a farmer who would like to be a car salesman for a while and you'd work out a deal, pay a fee, and fly out to a farm and train for a couple of weeks and vice versa for the other guy and do eachother's jobs for a year.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
still not entirely sure what you are talking about martin dust, but the thing i heard about is like, say you are a car salesman and want to work on a farm for a year, you would sign up and they would find a farmer who would like to be a car salesman for a while and you'd work out a deal, pay a fee, and fly out to a farm and train for a couple of weeks and vice versa for the other guy and do eachother's jobs for a year.

Then it's something completely different and the above sounds OK but also pretty silly cos if you want to be a farmer you should go and do it but how you train for some jobs in a couple of weeks I've no idea. Just sounds like some middle class utopia dream cos no fucker is going to want to be a bin-man or street sweeper are they?