Current 2 step?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
what about all the 2step boys who didnt go dark circa 2001 , they cant all be doing funky house? I see Qualifide at FWD>> now and then...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
what about all the 2step boys who didnt go dark circa 2001 , they cant all be doing funky house? I see Qualifide at FWD>> now and then...

Qualifide just released a fairly ploddy, dark half step tune with Fracture of dnb fame on the label they run together, Compound One. It's alright but they're capable of far more interesting stuff I reckon.

elgato

I just dont know
Qualifide just released a fairly ploddy, dark half step tune with Fracture of dnb fame on the label they run together, Compound One. It's alright but they're capable of far more interesting stuff I reckon.

i was very surprised by that effort, didnt rate it too much. i was hoping for the glitz, glam, passion and energy of Qualifide's 4x4 stuff, married with the junglism...

instead it was just quite unoriginal halfstep :/

Zed Bias is making some broken house now it seems, new 12 just out this week on Sick Trumpet

haven't checked what Landslide is up to for a while...

i wish Wookie would come back to broken / dubstep vibes

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I've been listening to a lot of Niche/Bassline garage stuff lately, some on rinse and some mixes I've found online (google bassline garage) and feel like it's got a lot of the colors and energy of old UKG. I was never a hardcore 2step head so... take it for whatever, still the bassline stuff is fun and sonically cool.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Cheers guys, will look some of these suggestions up...

What's El-B up to? His set at FWD last year nearly made me weep.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I've done a garage tune which'll probably go on the album. Just figuring out whether to use the MC on it... might just leave it as a deep ting with some samples on it.

I'm working on a new 2step mix... been picking up a few dozen tunes here and there. Some good stuff people haven't heard of. won't be out for a while though. Mixing 2step is aural sex.

El B's new stuff is... not as good as the old stuff. I want Dem2 to come back. I should get the last Burial 12 - new era 2step.

You never know, Horsepower might give us something sweet and evil...

IKoss

Wild Horses
following references are not necessarily 'current'. but they are of post 01-02 release dates.. which is 'new school'.
and to most, the terms 'current' and 'new school' should be mostly interchangeable..
anyways mostly all london-based, and sort of a mixup of reworks and orig tracks.
labels i can think of off hand to check out:
- 'riddler' (dj domino), has put out an array of quality tracks and artists.
- 'prolific' (mj cole), (mj does still does some nice broken and 2step stuff btw).
- 'spoilt rotten'(delinquent), has also put in some serious work for the new school 2step and 4/4 massives.
- 'aim' (DannyC), is always faithful to quality 2step flavors, mostly all orig stuff.
- the matt jam 'solo' crew always seems busy as well..
- forgot the label name, but even the chunky-sunship squad has been rather On-It, again lately with proper 2 step bangers !!

... ... ...

- and then right off hand i can think of a healthy handfull of great post 01' tracks by the likes of everyone from ed case, duncan powell, control-s, pyro/gte, midnight-circus, the residents, and jeesus the list could go on...

and all that being said, the ironic thing is that i have definitely been leaning almost exclusively on the broad shoulders of my bassline stuff whilst i patiently await the large-scale re-emergence of 2step, lol. 😉

so iono maybe you guys just dont listen to pirate radio enough?
cause i am steady getting my fix of new school 2step from the few stations that i frequent. theres plenty of good new tunes coming out.. just cause they might not be as pivotal and earth-shattering right this moment as during the golden-age, sure doesn't mean they cannot be found...

Queen Emily

sparklepony feminist
theres plenty of good new tunes coming out.. just cause they might not be as pivotal and earth-shattering right this moment as during the golden-age, sure doesn't mean they cannot be found...

Yeah. Of course, there's some rubbish out there, and nothing is really especially innovative, but there's some alright 2-step around. I do like Midnight Circus and the Sunship mix of Cherish's "Un-appreciated."

I'd add the Streetz, Stereohype and MRP labels to that list as well. The Stereohype website has most of the new school releases on there, vinyl and mp3..

http://www.stereohyperecordings.com/mp3shop.php

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Good grief.
Are there any threads knocking about on 4x4 garage? The skippy cut up stuff rather than the big warpers (though they are often pleasant as well). I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time playing Dem 2 at the moment, I think I need to branch out before it gets unhealthy.

Off topic, apologies, not got anything great to suggest. Lady Dub? It seem unlikely that this hasn't been mentioned.

elgato

I just dont know
Good grief.
Are there any threads knocking about on 4x4 garage? The skippy cut up stuff rather than the big warpers (though they are often pleasant as well).

do you mean the newer stuff? the newer stuff is definitely more cut up and weird, much more awkward beats (older Todd Edwards is on a similar tip though). im not a great authority on it to be honest, a lot of what i hear is a bit boring to my ears, except from pretty much everything Karl Brown touches

Marvin Swiftfingers G is the DJ to watch for the new stuff afaik. i would take any opportunity to bring that guys name into it though tbh

i have a couple shows of Karl Brown guesting on Marvin Swiftfingers' show, will up them at some point

some good pointers for old stuff here

I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time playing Dem 2 at the moment, I think I need to branch out before it gets unhealthy.

it'll be fine trust me ;) no such thing of too much dem 2

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah I'd read that other thread, it's got my first ever Dissensus post in actually, I guess newer stuff was what I was going for. There's tons of old tunes I haven't heard, but at least I know what I'm looking for. If you could upload those Marvin Swiftfingers mixes that would be great, cheers.