[Artist/Group/Scene/Movement] - Eclectic Music or Cultural Imperialism

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I don't think it's inappropriate to use the minstrel example to show how appropriated culture has political effects, especially when some people say things like "I think it's more a case that a lot of people are just sick of the way so many things that really have nothing to do with politics invariable get politicised" in a thread expressly devoted to political implications in music (copy-pasted, natch). People use Nazis/Soviets/Fascists as legitimate cases/examples in political and historical discussions, and I wasn't accusing anyone of being a minstrel, so :p

I'd like to think I'm pretty much past the whole "tar and feather the imperialist invader" when it comes to music (esp. since we have much more tangible imperial invaders now deserving of our condemnation). I'll agree that, for example, castigating Daft Punk as white appropriators for sampling black funk as a means of atoning for one's own guilt/racism makes for poor discussion. But why must all critiques get painted in such a wide swath? Can't we dissect why certain "appropriated" things work while others rub us the wrong way? I'm not suggesting we not listen to certain things, or that artists should be forbidden from using certain sounds/styles. But I don't think artists should be immune from criticism when they do, nor should it prevent us from using their examples to illustrate things we may find appalling. In fact, I (and I'll own up to being a cult stud so we can put a face on that strawman) appreciate the contributions on here from artists/creators/producers who tend to have more interesting takes on these issues than your average newly minted uni grads.

I was actually thinking of this thread while listening to the Talking Heads... I think one reason why thieir music "works" is that it's not just a straight rip of afro-beat. It's got a nervous, anxious energy that struck me at the time as making their whiteness visible. Sort of like how Eminem deliberately adopts a nasal tone to his rapping, or Daft Punk turn funk into something robotically sexy (sexily robotic?). It comes off less as appropriation than a hybrid by materializing whiteness (and yes, robots generally code white, or so I would argue).

And usually a distinction is made between appropriation from below and from above, although I think this is a hard distinction to uphold in practice (how marginal is marginal enough? How privileged is too privileged?). In this sense, SOS isn't really appropriation at all -- Universal owns Rihanna as well as Soft Cell's catalogue.

Aesthetics aside, music is increasingly reflecting a globalized economy that's structured in inequality yet depends on the contributions of marginalized groups. It's a great way to talk about economics, especially since cultural products are such a huge element of consumer capitalism. Yeah, it's not going to tell us why that Kanye song sucks or whatever, but why limit our discussions to that.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Jesus, I can't believe that more than half this thread is devoted to defending the thread's existence.

N

nomadologist

exactly. Thanks for patiently making that argument, Gavin.

I have lost my will to do so thanks to the browbeatings people here are intent on giving anyone who likes to discuss these things in detail.

N

nomadologist

Jesus, I can't believe that more than half this thread is devoted to defending the thread's existence.

That's what I initially meant! I'm so sick of threads that are marked off explicitly as "Warning: All Ye Who Hate Theory/Politics Do Not Enter Here" threads getting hijacked by the anti-pomo police.

Talk about boring!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hahaha, "anti-pomo police"!

"Cpl. Sokal, take this one dahn to the cells an' give 'im a good kickin'."
"Yes, Sarge! Hur hur hur..."

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
And now I have to go, and will have no internet for the rest of the day, so this thread can be left for Mr. Tea's bad jokes and griping until tomorrow at least. Someone leave some nuggets for me to find when I'm on the internet again.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I think this is what most of the "theory" types here do as well.

True, but I'm not exactly talking about twisting "theory proper" or anything. Moreso that I'm starting to think that only being "rational" and "factual" all the time in one's engagement with music is doing it an injustice, that the myth-making and projecting that goes alongside it is important. It's art, and should be treated as such, not demystified like everything else... but that's just a presupposition of my theory, but I won't go into that...

That's not to take anything away from the cultural and political dimensions to music, and the questions raised are worth discussing too of course...

N

nomadologist

True, but I'm not exactly talking about twisting "theory proper" or anything. Moreso that I'm starting to think that only being "rational" and "factual" all the time in one's engagement with music is doing it an injustice, that the myth-making and projecting that goes alongside it is important. It's art, and should be treated as such, not demystified like everything else... but that's just a presupposition of my theory, but I won't go into that...

That's not to take anything away from the cultural and political dimensions to music, and the questions raised are worth discussing too of course...

of course, I totally agree...my favorite music always sounds at least a little dysynchronic and eerie and is big on "irrational" elements and psychosis and all kinds of weirdness. i don't think anyone's theory ever fully "accounts for" what music is. it's kind of part of the point--that it's at best a stab in the dark at something that can often feel a lot bigger than the sum of its parts.

another thing: i don't think theory always favors the "rational" and "factual" either

Chris

fractured oscillations
I was actually thinking of this thread while listening to the Talking Heads... I think one reason why thieir music "works" is that it's not just a straight rip of afro-beat. It's got a nervous, anxious energy that struck me at the time as making their whiteness visible. Sort of like how Eminem deliberately adopts a nasal tone to his rapping, or Daft Punk turn funk into something robotically sexy (sexily robotic?). It comes off less as appropriation than a hybrid by materializing whiteness (and yes, robots generally code white, or so I would argue).

Absolutely, other examples of the creative value of "getting it wrong." I was going to make a point by comparing "bad" appropriation to when a white guy "talks black" to a black guy, and it just comes across as lame and maybe even a bit insulting... but then I realized... that's what these artists, who actually pulled-off using their influences to "good" effect, did too in a sense! They were "talking black" and getting it totally wrong... but it worked. I think the main point of contention is when the "impression" is patronizing or seems like blackface, or when there's a feeling that the music was stolen... from a "subaltern" culture that is... without due credit given (it's ok the other way around of course ;))... (also this only seems to be a problem when there is an issue of racial sensitivity or class guilt surrounding the appropriation, if it's between two "subaltern" cultures, who cares?). Otherwise, as far as I can tell, cross-pollination seems to be really good for creativity.

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
of course, I totally agree...my favorite music always sounds at least a little dysynchronic and eerie and is big on "irrational" elements and psychosis and all kinds of weirdness. i don't think anyone's theory ever fully "accounts for" what music is. it's kind of part of the point--that it's at best a stab in the dark at something that can often feel a lot bigger than the sum of its parts.

another thing: i don't think theory always favors the "rational" and "factual" either

Totally, but that doesn't stop academic types from getting rational about the irrational, tho I probably do that too when I try to analyze it all. :rolleyes: That's why I dream of a theory which is totally absurd, which is driven by the same irrational, inevitable, non-neccessity as music, although I think that would just be called "art" (or religion, or magick). Theory is probably too concerned with "understanding" to completely go there I reckon.

Last edited:

ripley

There are Thought and Politics forums for exactly this kind of thing, and much of the most interesting debate on this forum goes on there, but I can certainly see why some members who just want to discuss, say, the musical merits (or otherwise) of Hadouken! might get annoyed at having to wade through 1000-word treatises on the repercussions of the slave trade and problems of cultural identity in inner-city black youth, ....

If you are one of the people who just wants to discuss the music merits without the other stuff, you will never be fully happy with this forum (which is of course, fine), because if you understand "political" to mean "having social meanings" or "be embedded in a context that gives it multiple meanings" then obviously everything IS political. Lots of folks here clearly think that

One thing folks of both the Politics-are-everywhere vs. politics-can-be-left-out approaches need to recognize is that things (actions, creative works) being political isn't about intent, and isn't necessarily a judgment on the person who made the work or did the action. Someone can make a piece of music that relies on colonial inequality (can someone not? some people might ask), but that doesn't mean they are an imperialist scumbag person filled with a sense of racial superiority. It just means things are complicated.

Even if I don't always want to get into it, though, I would never back down on that fact, though - that things, especially meaning, are complicated.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK Gavin, I'll admit it's a bit futile to criticisea a thread with the phrase "cultural imperialism" in its title for being overtly political, but for some reason the fact it's in the Music forum rather than the Politics forum bugs me. Perhaps I'm just being massively pedantic, I don't know.

Edit: It's not that I don't think this whole topic is worthy of discussion, because I think it certainly is, it's just the regularity with which it, and topics like it, come up in discussions about other things that's started to get on my nerves.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
adam & the ants totally ripped of the burundi beat for songs like "stand and deliver" and "antmusic", and created some of the most exciting pop songs of their time

What makes Adam fascinating still was his use of concept within this - starting off by saying
'No method in our madness
Just pride about our manner/manor'
and
'Down below thos dandy clothes
Youre just a shade too white
Shade too white'

to actively stating that his piracy was a comment on the record industry ( Stand and Deliver ). I don't think imperialism has been done better in pop.

I think what I said in the MIA thread was asking whether she had put her money where her mouth was in terms of giving the people she's 'worked with' points on her album.

petergunn

plywood violin
Tainted Love by Softcell was itself ripped off from a black soul artist, whose name escapes me, as someone said upthread.

to throw another spanner in the works, the song was written by a white guy: Ed Cobb who also wrote "dirty water" and "sometimes good guys don't wear white" (AHAHAHA) for the Standells...

Chris

fractured oscillations
So you do believe in sweaty, funky black people, and white, uptight, tight ass, robotic people?
Never heard of the belleville three (juan atkins, derrick may, kevin saunderson, just in case you actually never heard of them), afrika bambaata, jeff mills to name but a few

To be fair though, these guys were influenced by the "whiteness" or "Europeanness" of Kraftwerk. German "stiffness" or whatever are cultural generalizations, but aren't they discernable enough in a culture's artform or as a pop culture archetype or trope as to merit discussion or reference in aesthetic discussion?

viktorvaughn

Nomad's response---that some people are naturally analytical---is reasonable, but I think MrTea still has got a good point: for me, it's not the analyticity of critical theory people (as represented here) but---not always but often---the `po-facedness' of it all that I find very boring. Isn't there anything in the music/art more interesting to analyze than how it reflects political/social phenomena?

Or maybe, to paraphrase El-P from ago, `it's not made for you so fuck you' and I should just shut up & stop reading these threads :)

Hate to come across as a pedant, but I think it was Bigg Jus?:cool:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
So you do believe in sweaty, funky black people, and white, uptight, tight ass, robotic people?
Never heard of the belleville three (juan atkins, derrick may, kevin saunderson, just in case you actually never heard of them), afrika bambaata, jeff mills to name but a few

I don't believe in them, but I do believe those are prevalent stereotypes in the music/entertainment biz, and pretty much any successful black artist has to deal with them. I think white artists generally have more freedom to be creative apart from racial stereotypes/caricatures/etc., but when white artists deliberately play up "whiteness" I think it's interesting and often overlooked. I'd put Kraftwerk and Numan in that category too.

And everyone knows the B3 are too bourgie to be "really black" (NOTE: This was sarcastic, I don't actually think this, I have black friends some of whom are unfunky and unbourgie, some of which are funky and bourgie, and I also apologize to the robot community for essentializing their diverse cultural makeup. You see how the blame game sucks all the fun out of the room?)

i know, but again, the belleville three are allowed to "appropriate" white robotic stiffness, but white artists who "appropriate" black" rhythms are imperialistics thiefs. and dont give me that appropriating down is good, appropriating up is bad, a lot of white artists who appropriate(d) james brown rhtyhms will never have as much money as Soul Brother No 1 had.

I think someone said this upthread, but the point of looking at this isn't to bash certain artists as thieves or imperialists because that's pointless and well worn terrain anyway. And as you pointed out, not as easy as "white artist=bad oppressor, black/brown artist=innocent". But I don't think anyone is actually making that case.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
To be fair though, these guys were influenced by the "whiteness" or "Europeanness" of Kraftwerk. German "stiffness" or whatever are cultural generalizations, but aren't they discernable enough in a culture's artform or as a pop culture archetype or trope as to merit discussion or reference in aesthetic discussion?

Yeah, Kraftwerk's exaggerated performance of Europeaness (which is totally self-conscious and done with a sense of humor) was what made them so popular with the Detroit kids in the first place.