Scuse me mate, have you got that one that goes nah nah nuh nah nah nuh nah?!?

zhao

there are no accidents
dj last week was spinning some wicked new flamenco/mambo/rumba portugese/cuban/puerto rican/cape verde type shit... with great sounding, acoustic sounding beats... not cheesy at all... real songs, real music, but total dance inducing. HOT. but fuck if i know what it was... someone said Cubaton but there were loads of Fado sounding shit in there too... after a set like that i am reminded of how big the world really is.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
1991 techno track heard on Kiss that was basically almost all the verses of Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" over this grinding metallic industrial noise and a huge funky 909 beat. Absolutely mental.

Hardcore track from 1992 that sampled great gobs of the guitar solo from Tackhead's Mind at the End of the tether. Similarly, one sampling Supertramp's Dreamer.

I was really obsessed with this amazing banging Stay Up Forever track that had this wild breakbeat acid thing going on, heard on the radio, then Paul Condon gave it to me as a present - it was DAVE the Drummer's The Speedfreak. Still one of my favourite records of all time.

I always hear these amazing tunes at John's house but I'm always so munted I forget what they are. Then they turn up on a mixtape I've done with him only I have no memory of doing anything with them and I still can't remember what they are. Weird.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I think there is something to be said for never finding these lost records. There are plenty I did find, which I now own, and as beautiful as they are, they definitely lose some of their allure once they become tangible entities.
couldn't agree more...it really is all about the hunt innit?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Mine were usually tunes played by the Dreem Teem or Tuff Jam which never saw a release at all.

Oneaway remixes of Locked On records which never ever saw vinyl, or tracks that Karl would chuckle about being on Acetate. Or even fantastic 2 step vocal tracks made by the work experience boy in the Dreem Teem offices.

Although I still to this day want a copy of Sunship's mix of Truce - Treat Me Right

swears

preppy-kei
Similarly, one sampling Supertramp's Dreamer.

There were loads of hardcore tunes that ripped that weren't there? I remember one that changed the lyrics to "Dealer, gotta find a dealer..."

EDIT: This isn't the version I remember from school, but here y'are:

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I still want some of those mental, metallic 2step versions of Whitney's It's alright, some of them were amazing! I had a pretty good go but I just didn't buy enough records in 1998/9 - was kinda busy...

Actually, what I really want is all my records out of storage... at this rate I'm going to wind up buying them all again...

gullyskengman

"666 mark of the beast , turn it round and u get the police" ive definitely heard that before . maybe krs one - sound of da police ?

gabriel

The Heatwave
i-man still looking for Cham tune (tink brand new) with american girl rapper on it (tink someone famous)... aroun' 90 BPM or so if ganja riddled memory serves...

i-man pray that this tune will soon be in me i-pod.

che'nelle & cham 'i fell in love with the dj' ?

mms

sometimes
one brilliant gabber track - from peel zooldog zwiehundert or something that just goes 'faster yes almighty evil one' then breaks into something faster, then goes faster, get's heavier again etc..
and a trancey track that goes ' this place is a new place' both about 92

mms

sometimes
yep it was on a robert linier rave tape that's gotta be it, wonder if it actually any good...:)
cheers

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Don't want to ruin it for you but probably not. I sold the album that it was on.

So many tracks out there that are worse than you remember...

I was going through the market in Akko last month and one of the vendors was playing this music that was just a guy chanting in a sorta dancehall style in Arabic over a spare drum machine beat. Very simple but I really liked it. I didn't have time to ask the guy what it was and buy the CD. Besides I was worried that it was verses from the Koran or even worse something about Jihad against Westerners and didn't want that awkwardness.

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

I found out that it's by Shut Up And Dance when I picked up an album of theirs for £1 last week - pure luck. :D

PeteUM

It's all grist
b) field recording of African girls playing a drum while pouring water over the skin and laughing in the background - one of the strangest sounds I've ever heard

I reckon I know what this is. Do you want to ruin the magic?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
b) field recording of African girls playing a drum while pouring water over the skin and laughing in the background - one of the strangest sounds I've ever heard

Is it something that Eye from the Boredoms has been known to play out in his DJ sets?

mms

sometimes

it sounds like that mbutu pigmies cd on smithstonian folkways, there is a section in that that is just like this.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I was wondering if it was a tune on a record called John Peel's Archive Things, which is labelled Hydro-Percussion, and originates from Malaysia. That fits with Boredoms Seadrum thing, so I reckon you might know what I'm on about...

Can't find a link to a pic of the cover, but Google says Peelie played it on one of his own shows.

Right, now I'd better put all these records back...