"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

craner

Beast of Burden
I never actually saw the Mary J video until today, only ever heard the song on the radio all the time (fine by me) -- but I love the way she veers from Oprah Winfrey dinner party (happy) to Jeremy Kyle pants (sad) in it. See if you get what I'm on about.

craner

Beast of Burden
Thy shouldn't have even bothered making a video for 'We Belong Together' -- no video could really do it justice, never mind the shit one they actually did make.

It was a bit like her 'Running Up That Hill' -- "you all think I've gone mad and I'm past it? Well, fuck you, I can do THIS."

craner

Beast of Burden
Amerie - 1 thing
Mariah - we belong together
Cassie - Me & You
Mary J Blige - Be Without You
Christin Milian - Say I
R Kelly - Ignition
Usher - Burn
Jagged Edge - walked outta heaven
Chris Brown - Excuse me miss
Ciara - 1, 2 Step and Oh
Nivea ft R Kelly - Laundromat
Ashanti - Foolish and Mesmerize and Always on Time and Rock With You (Ashanti was great!)
Twista - Slow jamz
Keyshia Cole - let it go
Tweet - Oh My
Mya - Case of the Ex
Keri Hilson & Kanye - Knock you down
John Legend - Ordinary People
Aaliyah - Try Again
Destiny's Child - Say My Name and Jumpin Jumpin

CrowleyHead

I'd argue Mariah - Shake It Off is a bit of a gem. Not a top 10, but a runner-up. R&B Roller if you will, it was massive when it was out here.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thy shouldn't have even bothered making a video for 'We Belong Together' -- no video could really do it justice, never mind the shit one they actually did make.

It was a bit like her 'Running Up That Hill' -- "you all think I've gone mad and I'm past it? Well, fuck you, I can do THIS."

Totally! :cool: Great comparison. I remember hearign it and being utterly floored. The fact it was number one for 15 (?) weeks in America says a lot for the occasionally brilliant taste of that country.

luka

WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT

ALSO CRANER THAT LIST IS PALTRY. ITS THE SAME OLD SONGS YOU ALWAYS TALK ABOUT. DONT YOU EVER FUCKKING DEVELOP. YOURER STILL AT THE SAME EMOTIONAL STAGE YOU WERE AT WHEN THAT GIRL GOT RID OF YOU 12 YEARS AGO. LIFE CARRIES ON.

luka

THE SAME 5 SONGS THAT YOU HAV BEEN BANGING ON ABOUT FOR 10 YEARS!
moron is very rude. have you no manners?

CrowleyHead

I just don't want anyone to try and force "Official Girl" down everyone's throat again, because it's not a good song. For christ's sake "Verbatim" with "Ultimatium"!? That's not a plus. That's stupid.

Honestly, Rich Girl's "He Ain't With Me Now Though" is beat-wise a monster and song-wise is great, simply as a showcase. Though having the one girl who sang and looked exactly like Beyonce seemed to fuck them up. Rich Girl > Video-Hoe 6... er I mean, "Electrik Red".

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XMv1sqz62qY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

So generic though. He was really winning me back with "Marvin's Room" and "Dreams Money Can Buy", I was like 'You know, maybe it's just me being an elitist dick that I hated the album...'

NOPE! Boi-1da fucking assed out like no other, kill that dude. 40 and Drake should lose that dudes number real fast.

(Actually, I like how Drake has an engineer as his producer. Like, other producers supply beats, and the engineer makes it fit Drake's 'sound'. Also, Lil' Wayne's "Single" was one of the weirdest/best beats in this niche.)

hopper

yeah, I spose it is a bit generic - but I don't think there has been a lot in the way of good, straight pop in a while and this kinda fits the bill for me. Loved Marvin's room, chords and pads were pretty much a straight lift of mum - green grass of tunnel, but without all the tweeness.

CrowleyHead

The Jojo version so far is the best female version. Rob Carolan/So Bones was praising her mixtape, which is kinda post-Drakey in the way that Aiko's in this sort of post-Drake/Cudi sort of sound herself.

Jojo has a stronger voice, but almost a weird crisis of confidence and is attempting to bury it in 'unusual' production. Whereas Jhene is kind of... confused. She makes all these weird wrong turns on the mixtape I don't understand, and it's distracting from when she hits it out of the park.

stephenk

the jojo is good but i'm not totally feeling how booming she is on top of it...aiko's version actually sounds like she's been drinking too much, it's all quiet and slurry and mumbled and she gets swamped by the beat...it has the sort of i'm-so-small isolationism i love about certain cassie tracks...

i agree with the wrong turns on the aiko mixtape though...it's unlistenable for the most part. beyond "stranger" i don't really know...she seems to be crawling out of that hole though, between "marvin's room" and singing on "fantasy" by schoolboy q...the latter is fairly corny post-slum village half-raps, but her voice is so perfect on the hook.

CrowleyHead

Yeah, but Jojo comes from this sort of... The best way to describe it is if you look on videos of her songs on youtube, there are videos where her octaves are listed in the title. Not just the tags or the description, THE TITLE. It's so clinical, that I totally understand just why she HAS to sing that way. It's this thing where it's constantly over-analyzed to prove herself.

Likewise, Aiko recently posted this video of her live where she sang with a band, in which she seemed very overwrought with trying to be 'soulful' and the comments were all relating to "CASSIE CAN'T SAAAANG LIKE HER! LOOK AT THE PERFORMANCE!" whereas I think most people who really appreciate Jhene is because of the ethereal Cassie-like qualities of 'Stranger'. It's a huge divide between the traditional R&B fanbase who are looking at R&B almost in a Steve Vai 'vocal-shredder' sort of way, and these people who are looking for stuff that's pleasing on a textural, sonic level.

Also, briefly; Jhene apparently made a Japanese version of "Stranger" for iTunes... Which makes TOTAL sense to me, as I hear it more like a J-Pop record than an R&B record. It's way more Sylvian & Sakamoto than anything to me, that little chorus melody? I wonder if there's ever going to be a proper bleeding over of J/K-Pop into the sort of 'witch house'-themed R&B popping up here and there.