good live albums/recordings

mms

sometimes
The Roots Come Alive

the b-side of parents don' t understand by dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince is one of the most exciting hip hop records ever.
there is a pretty ok really bdp live album too.
black beauty miles davis,
ac dc if you want blood
friday night in san francisco, paco da lucia, john mclaughlin, al dimeola,
any number of prince bootlegs
loads of hendrix bootlegs
the mothership connection - parliament
live at the countereurovison misty in roots.
sun ra - life is splendid - is fantastic too.

Last edited:

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
rock stuff, since dance and underground are synonymous with the live experience:

David Bowie - 'Stage' (remastered live recordings from Berliner-Era)

Joy Division - 'Live At Les Bains Douches' (the second half is crackly recordings from Belgian radio I think but worth it for the first half that captures the powerhouse that was JD live)

Will up a James Chance & the Contortions covering James Brown's 'Heroin' when I get the DVD drive fixed - needs to be heard

'Happy Mondays at the Manchester G-Mex'...it's a video but it demonstrates just how brilliant the rhythm section was and how good they were when they were on it...I was too young for the golden era of rave culture but it still gets me misty-eyed

likewise Blur's 'Starshaped' document from '92. Great era for British guitar music and all (Reading set boasts Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul), charts European tour to promote '90s equivalent of 'Village Green Preservation Society', ''Modern Life is Rubbish'. Shoegaze, social disillusionment, some classic lines...no glamour, warts 'n all footage of young men on the cusp of fame vomiting alot and not having to work proper jobs. Back when 'indie' meant indie etc . I was pleasantly surprised

can't think of much else off the top of my head...apart from the 60's psych band Tomorrow performing 'Revolution' on John Peel's 'Top Gear' in 1968. will up that aswell, fucking mint

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Les Rallizes Denudes - Live '77 (of course).

Fushitsusha - Double Live (PSF 15/16, I haven't heard the other one).

That Cardiacs one recorded in Amsterdam.

Got some excellent Circle and Acid Mothers Temple bootlegs knocking around. And where do you even begin with all the astonishing Arkestra recordings?

bnek

curtis/live!
'thelonious in action'.
i was just listening to art blakey - a night at birdland which is completely brilliant.
another favorite is ahmad jamals 'ahmeds blues' - the music may not be particularly thrilling except in a few spots, but the clubs ambience (not sure where it was recorded?) was captured beautifully.
caetano veloso's 'Omaggio a Federico e Giulietta' is really nice.
pharoah sanders - 'elevation' is pretty amazing too.

Octopus?

God, where do you even begin with jazz? Love, love Coltrane's two Village Vanguard sets (despite being drastically different), and the final "Olantunji" concert is still one of the most powerful statements of purpose I've ever heard. Too much to choose from, but Blakey's sets at the Cafe Bohemia and the Coltrane/Monk set that came out last year get very regular play around here.

...and speaking of contrast, the Masayuki Takayanagi/Kaoru Abe duo CD's "Mass Projection" and "Gradually Projection" are such beautiful examples of the amount of variety two improvisers absolutely tuned into each other can bring to the table. "Mass Projection" is a vicious firebomb of a record that, at times, sounds like the hulls of two ships scraping painfully together...a purely visceral, massive sound with jagged shards of guitar and a thick, muscular and distorted sax sound that sounds like it would be impossible to draw from the instrument. It stands in stark relief to "Gradually Projection" recorded the same night (I believe...don't speak enough Japanese to read the liners ;)) which finds them stripping their interactions down to the skeleton, weaving in and out between each other. It's actually quiet enough that you can actually hear the conversation going on in the restuarant where they're playing, the telephone and the till opening which complements the music almost percussively. Superlatives aside, I can't say enough about these two amazing sets! Their "Kaitaiteki kokan" release is an interesting document of an earlier meeting, but it's on these two sets that they fully metamorphose into a two headed MONSTER!

I don't actually have the discs with me while I'm typing this, so please excuse any errors. But anybody who has any interest in Free Jazz live sets owes it to themselves to check these two out.

sing_minimal

thank you guys. much appreciated! im on to most of these (i know some already) and so far it's been lush.

i need to get my hands on those takayanagi/abe sets..i have some abe with some other guy(s) but no sure which one..could very well be stuff with takayanagi. time to dig into archives i guess : )