Ryan Leslie

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Nice one Hint, you're right, there are load of clips on Ryan Leslie TV.

Watching the studio ones are funny, it seems so devorced from the process of making music i know of: the listening to 200 snare sounds in 5 mins, chopping a loop into piece for an hour, EQing a kick for an hour. listening to the same loop over and over in minute detail.

These 'production' videos are more like live performance, all vibe, a vibe you cant always get again when you listen to a track from the bottom up, thousands of times (it takes some distance from the track to get that back, and/or a phat soundsystem).

his piano playing also belies how much time he must have spent learning - he's not doing the one-finger producer stab!

hint

party record with a siren
Watching the studio ones are funny, it seems so devorced from the process of making music i know of: the listening to 200 snare sounds in 5 mins, chopping a loop into piece for an hour, EQing a kick for an hour. listening to the same loop over and over in minute detail.

Indeed!

At the other end of the spectrum, here's Kanye on his 11th (!) version of "Stronger". He has to call up Timbaland to give him a kick drum before he's happy. It's pretty absurd on many levels, but how many of us wouldn't take the opportunity to give Team Timbo a ring if we were in a similar situation?

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3106=187343_-1__0_~0_-1_9_2007_0_0

These 'production' videos are more like live performance, all vibe, a vibe you cant always get again when you listen to a track from the bottom up, thousands of times (it takes some distance from the track to get that back, and/or a phat soundsystem).

I think the key is in the raw elements used. Ryan Leslie is known for using a lot of synth presets and Timbaland appears to have a vast library of pre-prepared and well-organised drum sounds. The foundation is already there.

When they decide it's time to make music, things already sound good. Tinkering is kept to a minimum, and tinkering is the real vibe killer.

gumdrops

i like some of ryan leslies stuff - but he basically has one mood/aesthetic and thats it. i loved the first cassie single but the rest of the album was pretty much all filler, song-wise. hes got great taste in sounds/synths, ambience and atmosphere etc but song-wise, he doesnt come up with the goods nearly enough. his solo stuff wasnt much to write home about either. he needs to get a songwriter to work with (if he doesnt already).

shudder

oh my god, that timbo clip is so strange. amazing to see how kanye sort of bows before the master, who extols his wisdom like so many online recording/production forum nerds. so, you see, you got the compression, and...

also, eleven mixes by eleven different mixers. holy shit!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That's a great clip, it's no different though to how any other producer would work thoug, you can see the frustration in Timb's 'look, I got every drum sound here from every drum machine' and Kanye's 'yeah, but my shit doesn't hit in the clubs'...it's just like every conversation one ever has about music, nice to see it bveing done by the ones with the money and see it's no different, that they really don't know anymore than we do.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This must be the day for jaw-dropping videos (look at the 'taser clip' Zhao posted over in the Miscellanous section)...

"the other kicky guy still got bass..." Kicky guy???

I think we can conclude that Timbaland is considerably more articulate than Kanye, anyways....

Blackdown

nexKeysound
oh my god, that timbo clip is so strange. amazing to see how kanye sort of bows before the master, who extols his wisdom like so many online recording/production forum nerds. so, you see, you got the compression, and...

also, eleven mixes by eleven different mixers. holy shit!

it's so nice to see the humble side of Kanye (unlike that first Ryan Leslie clip) instead of the pumped up BOW IN THE PRESENCE OF GREATNESS Kanye, he has good ole producer paranoia: 'b...b...but my mixdown doesn't sound right in the club...'.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But with Kanye's record of being faux-humble (and general bullshit about being the 'anti-bling' etc...like, come on, ffs), can we take this on face value? Timbaland seems like quite a cool guy - never seen him interviewed or anything before.

robin

while all the r'n'b enthusiasts are here,anyone know who produced "like a boy" by ciara?

its got something of a cry me a river vibe going on but the drums don't really sound like timbaland at all,fairly sure its not him

N

nomadologist

real name Calvin Kenon. Like a Boy is his first major label track. he's only 19-years-old