New diplo mix and Pitchfork interview

doom

Public Housing
"Most recently, Pentz founded Heaps Decent, a non-profit project that plans to work within underdeveloped countries and with the disenfranchised to have their music and message be heard in a more modern way. So far, the project has visited Australia..."

Underdeveloped countries... Australia?!

Yes, if you are white/middle class then Australia is a '1st world' country.

Many (most) Indigenous Australians do not live in the 1st world. Many are essentially refugees in their own country.

its treatment of aboriginal communities is legendarily poor.

While Im dubious of Diplo, his intent - and his execution (and the fact he basically pinched the idea) - Im glad that some of whats going down here is getting out and known.

I doubt the quasi-military occupation of central Australia is making the BBC/CNN/World news - I might be wrong.

doom

Public Housing

Oh Yeah, that 'Heaps Dead' tune is ill, so is 'Smash a Kangaroo'

theres a real 'maths club' vibe to alot of the hate directed at Diplo/MIA etc. on this forum,

Im not their biggest fan but they are wide open & have big ears - Diplo is far less random than people think I rekon,

but yeah, that bart simpson thing is fukn horrid!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Diplo is absolutely shit.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

He is such a boring and transparent DJ. Live he isn't any better either, he actually brought the dancefloor to a standstill when I saw him live - like everyone basically stopped dancing.

I don't mind M.I.A. I rated her first album but started to hate it because of overexposure to it.
I heard bits of the new one and it actually sounds better than the first.
What I don't like is when I read a review of her where the writer uses 'grime' to describe her sound - like she has anything at all, sonically or otherwise, to do with grime.

Last edited:

gumdrops

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/24/popandrock-worldmusic
humility clearly isnt for diplo. though he is prob right that no one gave much of a shit about baile funk before he jumped on it, i dont remember him saying that BDRs album was a (fun but often annoyingly piss takey) middle class/art school take on baile funk when that album was being released on his label. and i like the way he makes it sound like he was the only one playing grime and hip hop together lol.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i've never thought his music was very good at all, but he's clearly into what he's doing, his projects as a kind of musical envoy show conviction you dpn't get from other artists.

i saw him dj ages ago when there was a grime night at fabric in about 2004 and he was pretty good, not sure about the mixitall up eclecticness of this mix though, but if he likes all that music and think it sounds good together there are bound to be other people that do,
the method is probably referencing baille funk and dancehalls magpie tendencies as well, i think the only really good track i heard by him is a baille funk remix that uses windowlicker that sounded sick.

DJ PIMP

Haven't read the interview and won't download the mix... up until a while back i thought he was mostly poo, but there's lots of uhhh, decent stuff on Mad Decent, and the Crookers mixes of Blow Your Head are nice, as is his mix of Get Up by Bingo Players, and that nice slightly angular mix of Repetition Kills You by The Black Ghosts...

Bearing in mind he's a dance producer who is also a Current Name, in itself is something of a rarity nowadays, I tend to cut the guy some slack.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/24/popandrock-worldmusic
humility clearly isnt for diplo. though he is prob right that no one gave much of a shit about baile funk before he jumped on it, i dont remember him saying that BDRs album was a (fun but often annoyingly piss takey) middle class/art school take on baile funk when that album was being released on his label. and i like the way he makes it sound like he was the only one playing grime and hip hop together lol.

Hmm - saw that guardian piece and had similar thoughts on the humility aspect..
To be fair, what he was doing seemed pretty exciting say 04 to 06 but the whoel thing descended into streetwear marketting tool mediocrity pretty quick. His remix of Still Tippin' holds up pretty great tho..
On a grime related note, i remember reading an interview with him pre-Reload It where he said he'd produced tracks for Kano, but also Goodz shelved Universal album - now that I'd like to hear..

gumdrops

yeah i do actually like some of his productions/remixes. a lot of it though is just spectacularly shit and like some novelty hipster version of jive bunny. he seems to have some really poor taste and unfortunate knack for taking genres and making them into completely dire novelty fodder, via cheesy rock and pop samples. and as for his backing of kuduro, i thought it was a bit 'huh' that MIA has a song called sound of kuduro on the new version of kala. its like theyre going for some sort of definitive take on the music. (the idea of a kuduro remake of lil wayne - no doubt totally contrived by diplo - doesnt really get me very excited either).

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
yeah i do actually like some of his productions/remixes. a lot of it though is just spectacularly shit and like some novelty hipster version of jive bunny. he seems to have some really poor taste and unfortunate knack for taking genres and making them into completely dire novelty fodder, via cheesy rock and pop samples. and as for his backing of kuduro, i thought it was a bit 'huh' that MIA has a song called sound of kuduro on the new version of kala. its like theyre going for some sort of definitive take on the music. (the idea of a kuduro remake of lil wayne - no doubt totally contrived by diplo - doesnt really get me very excited either).

its funny though, listen to kuduro (or the stuff on myspace labeled that way) and listen to buraka som sistema and they have very little in common really, apart from angolan mcs, some of the stuff is just electro with mcing on.
i would think that a better idea than making your own version of kudoro would be to bring out some of these angloan kids on yr label or whatever, buraka are portuguese, sure they link into it, but no one seems to be licencing the tracks they love so much for release, very little happens the other way, there are a few labels that licence baille funk, not diplo, incidentally, there have been some licences from south africa, it's difficult to do but if you really loved that stuff you would do it.

claphands

Poorly-known member

sound of kuduro was on the buraka album, she's just one of a couple featured vocals.

but I agree with you, re: being bothered by diplo trying to create "definitive" takes on the genres he interacts with. for example, why is bonde do role on mad decent and not any funk carioca from rio? why did he feel the need to rename the genre? I enjoyed the favela strikes back mix, but how much money did he make from the pressing and how much got back to the original artists (the answer to the second question is "none")

why is it that the kuduro that diplo/mia interact with is basically the more listener friendly "progressive" kuduro from lisboa and not the raw from luanda?

I mean understand why: raw street music is raw and harder to sell and the majority of their audience isn't inquisitive enough (nor do they necessarily care) to figure out that what they are hearing isn't as quite as "authentic."

its funny though, listen to kuduro (or the stuff on myspace labeled that way) and listen to buraka som sistema and they have very little in common really, apart from angolan mcs, some of the stuff is just electro with mcing on.
i would think that a better idea than making your own version of kudoro would be to bring out some of these angloan kids on yr label or whatever, buraka are portuguese, sure they link into it, but no one seems to be licencing the tracks they love so much for release, very little happens the other way, there are a few labels that licence baille funk, not diplo, incidentally, there have been some licences from south africa, it's difficult to do but if you really loved that stuff you would do it.

you can definitely do it. check fair trade funk

with respect to kuduro, there appears to be a relatively established album and video* release schedule with a lot of different local djs producing local tracks (as opposed to it mainly being pure anonymous cdr street music) if you go to afrosom they have folks posting plenty of full length kuduro albums straight from luanda.

I'm not trying to understate the difficultly of a non-portuguese speaking DJ going to Angola and "bringing the artists up" but you figure he could at least network with some local mcs or producers and get something going. I mean having music coming from lisboa isn't a big deal either, it would just be nice if they brought up someone or something that at least sounded like kuduro.

*reasonably professional looking videos:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Last edited:

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
sound of kuduro was on the buraka album, she's just one of a couple featured vocals.

To be fair to Buraka they've always been pretty open about Kudoru being their starting point rather than their complete sound.
Not a fan of their 'progressive kudoru' tag at all, but they're at least honest about their sound not being 'authentic'.

gumdrops

I enjoyed the favela strikes back mix, but how much money did he make from the pressing and how much got back to the original artists (the answer to the second question is "none")

didnt help that he didnt credit any of the songs/artists on the comps he put out either. i understand that in the sense of wanting to hide your sources so other deejays dont copy, but for all his apparent self awareness of not wanting to be a global street sounds colonialist, he does like having his cake and eating it too.

mms

sometimes
To be fair to Buraka they've always been pretty open about Kudoru being their starting point rather than their complete sound.
Not a fan of their 'progressive kudoru' tag at all, but they're at least honest about their sound not being 'authentic'.

i dunno though cos buraka seem like a portugeuse act to me, that's fine, but it's like selling afrikan boy on the back of some dubious connection to an african form of music, when he's a kid of african heritage from london doing grime. Why can't they just say they're doing portuguese music thats inspired by kuduro, its not progressive kuduro as well, that's a silly patronising term to come up with!

claphands

Poorly-known member
claphands, whats the story behind this release - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=FHZ014 - is that kind of thing lisboa or luanda based? i like the sound of it a lot

i downloaded this mix recently as well which im listening to a lot, it sounds very raw to my ears and similar to that EP - http://soundgoods.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/kuduro-do-futuro-mixtape/#comments

neither sound much like buraka som sistema to me either..

that ep has three tracks by Frederic Galliano, who is a French DJ basically doing a better job of letting people hear raw kuduro then Diplo/MIA/Holletronix. His "kuduro sound system" release credits the MCs so I assume that there was some sort of royalties being paid out. I'm not sure how the production credits are though - ie. is he just using his name to expose the sound or is he actually producing tracks?

dj patrick is part of "studio fire" who are local and produce good stuff. not sure about dj tecas.

edit: relistening to that galliano comp. he definitely makes his own beats

Last edited:

claphands

Poorly-known member
i dunno though cos buraka seem like a portugeuse act to me, that's fine, but it's like selling afrikan boy on the back of some dubious connection to an african form of music, when he's a kid of african heritage from london doing grime. Why can't they just say they're doing portuguese music thats inspired by kuduro, its not progressive kuduro as well, that's a silly patronising term to come up with!

I mean as a group they are reasonably attached to "real" kuduro too though. dj znobia was featured on a couple tracks. puto prata and bruno m were also on a couple of tracks too. I agree that callling it progressive kuduro is pretty silly though.

on the other side, I read a galliano interview somewhere saying that if you make kuduro outside the strict local mode they call it "white man's kuduro"

BareBones

wheezy
claphands, whats the story behind this release - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=FHZ014 - is that kind of thing lisboa or luanda based? i like the sound of it a lot

i downloaded this mix recently as well which im listening to a lot, it sounds very raw to my ears and similar to that EP - http://soundgoods.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/kuduro-do-futuro-mixtape/#comments

hey man, i bought that flamin hotz ep in December and can heartily recommend it, the dj Patrick tune "sem maneiras" is worth the price of admission on its own. downloading that mix now...