Dubstep Anthems

hopper

^ what he said.

loved the kode9 set, especially the wonky casio refixes.

got to say i was pretty disappointed by dmz too, selection just didn't do it for me. really not feeling those "mechanical"/industrial wobblers.

I kinda agree with you about the mystikz set. I did still enjoy it as a bad mystikz set is still much better than your average. But Mala who I trust to always smash it was playing a few of the more boring industrial tunes, Coki's tunes were good but I was ready for them. Loefah played a couple of big tunes especially a new headhunter one and that Flo Dan version of poison dart. But their set by and large was less than I expected from them. I guess I like it when Mala completely takes over and goes into deeper territories but as they were doing 2 songs each he never really had the time for that.

Also as Ben UFO said - it was really nice to not hear night at dmz last night. Couldn't believe it!

then - to show how he still reps grime - he played, as he always plays, 'intensive snare', 'real tings' (briefly), and 'cha'. all of these are huge tracks, of course. but they've been his three token grimey tracks for over a year now.

i swear cha has been going about 3 years now?maybe more

didnt make it to dmz because its a bit pricey but caught oneman at dots on thursday - was blown away. so so fresh - hes got the balance just right between the euphoric/party vibe stuff and the deeper/meditation one at the moment

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Actually we weren't as lucky as I was hoping.

Plastician played it during a set that made me so depressed I had to leave.

unlucky, oneman absolutely smashed it from 5-6. loads of ukg, different dubstep and some even some dizzee :)

I sat out plasticians set cos I was so knackered after kode 9.

tbh the only sets of the night I wasn't feeling at all were cluekid and goth-trad, but that's absolutely fine - in a lineup so diverse you can't expect to like everything :D

the different selections went down fine. the vibe was a little low till DMZ came on, but that's always the way. from 1.30 it was pure energy right till 6

ps: the mystikz was ok - some slightly dull tunes but two amazing new mala ones :)

mos dan

fact music
to take back what i said about plastic, he is playing some grimey vocals on rinse now so that's, yknow, good, in light of recent events

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Hmm...it may be an anthem but it's laughable to compare this to "Midnight Request Line". Though I will say that it has higher production values than most dubstep (not that high of a bar admittedly).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Re: "Night" --The novelty angle to it actually makes it interesting tho- its pretty moronic but in a wonky way, with those sort of cantering semi-house drums... all of which is vastly preferable to trudging duffstep... it has a slightly sinister kiddie-pop feel to it (ketamine teletubbie music)... it doesn't sound obsessed with weight and seriousness or pseudo reggae authenticity... It sounds like a ring tone too, which is obviously a good thing...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I really like night. MCs love flowing over it as well, so that's a good thing. I don't reckon it's that novelty - it's just it doesn't try to be overly dark and badderman so it comes off as light in comparison.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think silliness and novelty (REAL hardcore continuum values remember) always have their place alongside the artistic and head crushing.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Hmm...it may be an anthem but it's laughable to compare this to "Midnight Request Line". Though I will say that it has higher production values than most dubstep (not that high of a bar admittedly).

haha, that's such an irritating post.. big up

the dizzee vocal of night will go top 40. as for the tune itself - the one really annoying thing about it getting wheeled six times every time it gets played is that DJs always mix out of it before those SICK extra layers of percussion come in and absolutely demolish everything. ridiculous.

C

captain easychord

the dizzee vocal of night will go top 40. as for the tune itself - the one really annoying thing about it getting wheeled six times every time it gets played is that DJs always mix out of it before those SICK extra layers of percussion come in and absolutely demolish everything. ridiculous.

the dizzee vocal is a blend tho right? from that flex tune?

Gek-Opel is spot on,: 'night' postulates dubstep as part of the hardcore continuum. Its obvious isn't it, its one of the only dubstep tunes that has been embraced by UGK DJ's, grime MC's etc. The other ones I can think of off the top are 'request line' and 'tortured', which both have that same kind of riffy, sparse melodicism that is a hallmark of british rave culture.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
There is certainly a tradition of hardcore tunes being inspired by childern's TV programs.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
;)

ramadanman

night was being played back in like january and february, and it was no where near getting the same kind of response that it does now. a lot of its down to hype IMO - not sure it was ever written to be some kind of catchy anthem