vimothy

yurp
Haven't had time to read any links or even watch the news of late. Can someone tell me -- is this really actually going to happen?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who knows? They're certainly talking about it as though it is.
What's weird for me is that everyone seems to be focussing on the fact that some games will be abroad rather than the inherent unfairness of the proposed system which will turn the league into (more of) a joke.

What's weird for me is that everyone seems to be focussing on the fact that some games will be abroad rather than the inherent unfairness of the proposed system which will turn the league into (more of) a joke.

Exactly. If a professional sport is not entirely fair then it is entirely meaningless. We don't want another non-sport like Formula 1

crackerjack

I left Manchester years ago and with every passing season get less and less interested in football.

But I still get buzzed up to fuck by things like this.

Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City

Who saw it? Were Utd as poor as the minute-by-minutes made out?

nomos

Administrator
they never really got it together and were obviously very frustrated. city played an excellent game i thought too. ronaldo was non-existent. adebayor's tied him now in scoring :)

crackerjack

they never really got it together and were obviously very frustrated. city played an excellent game i thought too. ronaldo was non-existent. adebayor's tied him now in scoring :)

There's something about that Roanldo that's just loathsome. Can't remember the last time I hated one player so much, and he just gets worse - the way he reacts after scoring, like even he is dazzled by his own brilliance...i have to switch channels

tom pr

There's something about that Roanldo that's just loathsome. Can't remember the last time I hated one player so much, and he just gets worse - the way he reacts after scoring, like even he is dazzled by his own brilliance...i have to switch channels
It summed him up when he banged in that free kick to beat Sporting early in the season- the team he started at- and he still pulled his 'who, moi?' face when he scored it. I know it's awful but I really would be relieved if he broke his legs and never played again; I can't hack people with that much talent and luck who're still just cheating cunts.

tht

akstavrh
hleb is the finest player to watch in england and funny and gracious to go with it judging by his broken english tv app after last night

utd are a bit of a curate's egg, playing well only when the players are left to their own ends, and then naive when they're cramped into a 442ish array in the important games with the golden one completely wasted wide right- like it or not he's so far ahead even of the players on that side with only anderson likely to get near his level assuming they play him correctly (as an attacking, not defensive midfielder)

that said i've warmed to them this season and hope they win above arsenal, who are a bit bland outside of the hleb-fabregas-rosicky triad

summed him up when he banged in that free kick to beat Sporting early in the season- the team he started at- and he still pulled his 'who, moi?' face when he scored it

innit
hopefully messi gets luckier with injuries (largely endured cos he's tiny and actually runs at defenders) and gently overshadows ronaldo over the next 10 years or so
also pato, krkic and aguero

Last edited:

tom pr

Three in four so far for Pato- he's doing well! seems a good lad so far too; I've watched the highlights of the games he's played in and haven't noticed any of the cheating that the Ronaldo/Fabregas/Robben/Messi bunch that emerged a couple of years ago love to pull out.

Agree with you about Anderson as well- I think he could get really, really special...

crackerjack

A small cheer was permissible last Wednesday when Schalke beat Porto on penalties to take their place in the Champions League's last eight with England's big three or four and the survivors from Italy, Spain and Turkey. Not because there were six Germans in the Schalke team (there were), but because the cheapest seat in the Veltins-Arena is a laughable €17 (about £13). If you don't mind standing (for Bundesliga matches) you can get in for €11. And kids pay just €8. You can normally pay on the day in Germany, too, and decent beer and sausages are available at all times.

As will be apparent, they do things differently in the Bundesliga, although, while the above arrangements represent something of a fans' paradise, they are not as popular with clubs and players. Schalke have little hope of emulating Borussia Dortmund's 1997 achievement and winning the Champions League as unfancied underdogs. They have no household-name players, no depth to their squad and they are in the quarter-finals for the first time in their history. Kevin Kurányi, Schalke's first-leg goalscorer, has just admitted Porto were the better team in the second. Dortmund themselves almost went bankrupt a couple of years ago, and even the mighty Bayern Munich are competing in the Uefa Cup this season. German football has kept faith with the spectators, both by keeping admission prices low and preventing private investors buying more than 49 per cent of shares in each club (to stop any outside investor gaining a controlling interest). The result has been an observable decline in Germany's standing as a big football nation. Their teams no longer frighten the rest of Europe and many of their leading internationals play abroad.

German football stands as an exact opposite, in fact, to the English model. Inward-looking, underfunded and unsuccessful outside its own borders. But undeniably cheap. There is no shortage of potential investors in the Bundesliga - Tim Leiweke, the AEG president who effectively bought David Beckham for LA Galaxy, already owns a couple of German ice-hockey teams and arranged a meeting with club presidents in Frankfurt last week. The sticking point is the 49 per cent rule, because clearly people will not inject money into a club without gaining a say in how it is run. The German league say a decision on whether to overturn the rule or not will be made by the end of the year.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2263671,00.html

Interesting piece this. Is this waht our choice comes down to? England as the centre of the neo-liberal football industry with 4 teams in the CL quarter finals or an insular league with real competition drawing large domestic crowds, but losing its best players abroad and never threatening the final stages of the top tournament. Which would you prefer?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Interesting piece this. Is this waht our choice comes down to? England as the centre of the neo-liberal football industry with 4 teams in the CL quarter finals or an insular league with real competition drawing large domestic crowds, but losing its best players abroad and never threatening the final stages of the top tournament. Which would you prefer?"
I think he's mixing up club and country in that article - I mean, German clubs have never had the success of those from Spain, Italy or England but they've always been a force in world cups - has that really changed? I don't think that there is necessarily a direct correlation between how good a nation's club sides are and how good the international side is and the same can be said for whether the best players play at home or abroad. In other words, the wealth of a nation's clubs does not necessarily direct affect the status of a nation as a "footballing power".
If one was just talking about clubs though you may have a point about the choice facing fans (although it won't be fans that make the decision), presumably the more money clubs can make from fans the more players they can buy and the more success they have. I don't know how long the Premiership can carry on charging so much for games though (hence the desire to expand overseas presumably - which fortunately looks as though it's been quickly slapped down).
Interesting to note that Inter had no Italian players yesterday - maybe they would have done better if they did seeing as Italy are world champions.

mixed_biscuits

hucks

Your Message Here
Well, we do have The Championship, which is, I think, the fifth most popular league in Europe. The quality is poor (don't be fooled by the FA Cup results), and certainly there aren't the players of the quality of Ribery, Toni and Podolski that the Bundesliga does, but it is affordable. So long as you don't go to Crystal Palace, which is like £30 a game or something.

crackerjack

I think he's mixing up club and country in that article - I mean, German clubs have never had the success of those from Spain, Italy or England but they've always been a force in world cups - has that really changed?

German teams have done better than you're giving them credit for, both historically and recently. Bayern, obviously, are the best by a distanc, won a hatrick of European Cups in the 70s. Germany isn't on a par with England, Italy or Spain, but they've provided three finalists (incl one winner) in the last 10 years.

Historically they've provided 13 finalists (just one less than England) spread across 6 teams (as many as England and Italy, more than Spain). From that to supplying just Schalke - the weakest of this year's quarter finalists - is quite a fall off.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Historically they've provided 13 finalists (just one less than England) spread across 6 teams. From that to supplying just Schalke - the weakest of this year's quarter finalists - is quite a fall off."
Well, they're supplying one team, the same number as Italy and Spain. Maybe Schalke are the weakest but they are there by winning games, would it be different if Bayern were the one team? To me it's the dominance of the English clubs that is more noteworthy than any German retreat although I agree they are two sides of the same coin.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Any thoughts on the draw for the next round?

Here it is by the way

1. Arsenal v Liverpool
2. Roma v Manchester United
3. Schalke v Barcelona
4. Fenerbahce v Chelsea

(winner 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3)

crackerjack

Any thoughts on the draw for the next round?

Here it is by the way

1. Arsenal v Liverpool
2. Roma v Manchester United
3. Schalke v Barcelona
4. Fenerbahce v Chelsea

(winner 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3)

1 plays 4? So that's Liverpool v Chelsea take 3 (Arse are on the slide at the mo and I think the Milan game was a magnificent freak).

Barca v Man Yoo shd be some semi. On paper both teams have about 8 goals each in them, so expect a 0-0 and 1-0.