IdleRich

IdleRich
Bellingham has scored thirteen goals in thirteen games for Madrid... from midfield! It's insane. Also several assists but with that many goals you barely need mention them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A while back I said I hoped Bellingham and Kane would do well - and certainly Bellingham is doing way better than I expected or even hoped. And Kane?

Well, as @version told me a while back, he started pretty well too, and he seems to have kept that up... he got a hat-trick vs Dortmund at the weekend, so I guess that means together the Englishmen abroad contributed five goals to the Classico and Klassiker...

The England captain's hat-trick took him to 15 goals in his opening 10 games, the best goalscoring start of a player in Bundesliga history.

Crazy!

Now the record season total for Bundesliga goals was held by Gerd Muller for decades who scored 40 in 1976 or something. That number was seen as completely untouchable cos it was so far out ahead... until finally a few seasons back, Lewandowski broke it after 45 years, scoring his 41st goal with his last touch of the season. About as tight as you can get with that kind of thing.

So Muller's 40 was undefeated for 45 years, you'd think Lev's would stand for a while too... but IF Kane could somehow maintain his ridiculous scoring rate - which is surely all but impossible - he would end up with 51 goals, completely smashing the record out of sight.

But even mentioning that is very premature right now, I should forget it at present, don't want to curse his scoring... he says rationally.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Aint been. I don't really follow football much these days, I prefer to play... and I'm fact I'm heading out to do just that in a minute.

Although I may as well mention yet another Ronaldo banger I just saw

mixed_biscuits

Although I may as well mention yet another Ronaldo banger I just saw

I'm envious. Tore my hamstring last year and am probably less confident in it than I should be.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So sad when someone has to stop. There was a guy I used to play with in London who was a fucking good player - i think he was on Freiberg's books at one point. Anyway he passed through Lisbon and we met up for a beer or two, I asked him how football was going and he said he'd got some sort of niggling but long-term injury and had to stop. He's about ten years younger than me... I felt truly sad about this, such a good player... damn... also Waz that I used to play footie and squash with, a bloody-minded little bastard, said he'd never stop playing football but an injury proved him wrong.

Sad in itself but a real and powerful reminder of mortality. Up til now you've been climbing on an upwards slope, but now you've passed the peak and started the gentle but cruel descent that lies on the other side...

IdleRich

IdleRich
There was this Kane goal the other day that was pretty good... I guess that, being the 5th goal in an eight nil dribbling, it wasn't the most vital of his career and such goals do tend to get overlooked, but it's worth seeing

I like this Bayern Munich strip, I don't think they have ever had a good kit before, most of the previous ones I have seen tend to be a heavy-handedly thrown together mishmash of black, grey and red. It seems as though they went for strong, dominant colours - but this one with white and an almost-pink red goes for the opposite and as a result look a lot less shit.

version

I like this Bayern Munich strip, I don't think they have ever had a good kit before, most of the previous ones I have seen tend to be a heavy-handedly thrown together mishmash of black, grey and red. It seems as though they went for strong, dominant colours - but this one with white and an almost-pink red goes for the opposite and as a result look a lot less shit.

I liked this one with the collar.

Screenshot from 2023-11-07 02-42-21.png

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone watch Spurs Vs Chelsea? Five goals disallowed, two red cards, a penalty, two goals in injury time to complete a hat-trick.

jenks

thread death
Yep. A car crash of a game. VAR will be the talking point as with so much criticism of it means every decision is being micro examined, making it all so much longer. 12 mins of added on in first half and 9 in the second. Both reds were right. Chelsea could’ve lost a player as well. Mad game.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yep. A car crash of a game. VAR will be the talking point as with so much criticism of it means every decision is being micro examined, making it all so much longer. 12 mins of added on in first half and 9 in the second. Both reds were right. Chelsea could’ve lost a player as well. Mad game.

Manchester United game today not much different.

Man Utd went 2-0 up and were cruising unyil then Rashford was sent off by VAR - United almost scored and then they looked at replay and sent Rashford off, imagine he had scored?

Whatever, it was a bad challenge, Copenhagen pulled one back, then they got a VAR pen and made it two each. There were thirteen mins of injury time and then it was half-time.

Then ten (Hag) man(chester) Utd got their own VAR pen and lead 2 - 3 with fifteen to go... and then they wetly coughed up two goals in the last five, fuck me!

The thing I like least is the change to the handball rule which came in about the same time as VAR, the one where it's handball if the arm is not glued to the body even if it travels a minute distance to hit the arm. The upshot is that you get loads of handballs (two pens today) that don't seem to be in line with the spirit of the law. And cos VAR is used to give em) they are sort of unfairly lumped in as a VAR issue when it already has plenty of its own.

mixed_biscuits

The thing I like least is the change to the handball rule which came in about the same time as VAR, the one where it's handball if the arm is not glued to the body even if it travels a minute distance to hit the arm. The upshot is that you get loads of handballs (two pens today) that don't seem to be in line with the spirit of the law. And cos VAR is used to give em) they are sort of unfairly lumped in as a VAR issue when it already has plenty of its own.
I think the unnatural position stuff was introduced to make it easier to infer intention on the handballer's part - this was when intention was the determining factor.

The positional aid has somehow acquired a life of its own and some nuance has been lost. For example, given a defender spreading his arms wider than they need be for balance, the current law would award a penalty both if an arm was struck by an attacker's chip aimed at that arm and also if it were struck by an attacker's shot destined for goal; taking into account intention, only the latter would be a penalty because one would surmise that the defender is spreading their arms out solely with the intention of blocking a shot not catching a little chip.

By analogy, the attacker creating a handball foul by chipping at an outstretched arm is like a player creating a foul tackle by moving into the contact when they could have avoided it - neither should be a foul precisely because there is no intention and also it's not preventing anything. Indeed a player moving into a tackle purposefully to create a foul in a depersonalised decisively creates the risk of injury and should be penalised themselves; perhaps a player acting in a way that is clearly meant to be completely unproductive other than in its making a penalty possible should also be penalised.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Meanwhile this is just ludicrous.

Harry Kane nets his 17th Bundesliga goal as Bayern striker has remarkably scored more than the top goalscorer for the entire 2022-23 season - and we're only in November!​