don_quixote

Trent End
8-0 against newcastle? it was bobby robson's first game as their manager wasn't it?

i was at the 7-1 at hillsborough! it was amazing. but i also saw a 3-0 loss there on a boxing day a few years back.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
8-0 against newcastle? it was bobby robson's first game as their manager wasn't it?

i was at the 7-1 at hillsborough! it was amazing. but i also saw a 3-0 loss there on a boxing day a few years back.

oh god, it's all coming back. 1998, perhaps?

at least forest were one of my favourite clubs, so being beaten that way didn't hurt so much in that case. if it'd been (manchester) united though...

don_quixote

Trent End
yeah that happened to us...

i was 9 at the time and was ecstatic. my dad enjoyed it but felt very sorry for trevor francis at the time.

wednesday are one of my favourite clubs too, much more than the other team from your city. but we've had some painful defeats to you too. i like laws.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, but trevor francis generally presided over the best football i've ever seen wednesday play, so don't feel too sorry!

Forest are of course another team who deserve (in terms of history and support) to be back among the big guns...time will tell.

slightly crooked

Does anyone else support a club that feels like it has been created solely to harness a feeling of existential despair?

As a Sunderland fan of the best part of 25 years, I can certainly sympathise with that feeling. The worst part being that on the rare occasions you feel even cautiously optimistic (as I currently do going into the new season), at the same time you always have a nagging sense that abject disappointment is just around the corner.

hucks

Your Message Here
As a Sunderland fan of the best part of 25 years, I can certainly sympathise with that feeling. The worst part being that on the rare occasions you feel even cautiously optimistic (as I currently do going into the new season), at the same time you always have a nagging sense that abject disappointment is just around the corner.

It is Sunderland that have a fanzine called "It's the Hope I can't stand", isn't it? In other existential despair news, Norwich have sacked their manager, after one game this season. We do this to make other clubs look good.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
to be fair, Wednesday, Brighton, Norwich, AFC Wimbledon, Sunderland, Altrincham, etcetera and ad infinitum, we all support showers that have accustomed us to shite (and then some).. ...obviously Rich and his United clothes can avoid this ;)

slightly crooked

It is Sunderland that have a fanzine called "It's the Hope I can't stand", isn't it? In other existential despair news, Norwich have sacked their manager, after one game this season. We do this to make other clubs look good.

Yeah, that definitely was a Sunderland fanzine - not sure it's still going.

Crazy to sack a manager so early. Whilst, from the outside anyway, Gunn always looked a bit out of his depth, if that's the case you should have got someone else in over the summer rather than let him assemble a squad then get rid. I always thought of Norwich as a bit more well-run than that - save those sort of moves for the true comedy clubs (City, Newcastle etc.)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Saturday, 22 August 2009
Altrincham v AFC Wimbledon, 15:00

hurrah!

both yday's Prem games were fairly shabby i must say. except toward the end with the Spuds. i was so hoping Crouch or Keane would score for them..

and that Palarse dis-allow!! karma's a bitch, eh Warnock?

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Did you lose 7-1 as well?

Just got back from Griffin Park, watched us lose 2-1 to Brentford. They look a decent enough side (League 2 champs last season?), and we were OK first half then heads went down when they went ahead. Then some utter cunt next to us (on the terraces!) started booing everything our players did, so we got into a discussion about the merits of getting behind your team. As we were doing so, Brentford scored again. Then he started sarcastically cheering on Norwich. Wanker.

I've touched on this before, but there's a real sense of entitlement with some fans now, as if paying to watch your team means you deserve 3 points. Doesn't work like that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interesting piece in the Grauniad this week (alongside their routine appalling ones) about foreign players' experiences of British football - included amazement from some Spanish player that people actually supported Burnley as a first team, and not just when Man U weren't playing (as would be the case mostly in Spain, apparently). Football culture in this country is pretty unique, must be said.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Newcastle-Wednesday tonight. maybe I'm biased, but (if Leeds haven't played Newcastle recently - have they?) must be the biggest match outside the top tier in an age*. Reminds me of when Chelsea, Newcastle and Wednesday fought out the Second Division titles in 83/84.

*meaning just in terms of potential support, rather than quality, of course, as Wednesday are nowhere nowadays in those terms.

This is actually a question for the Guardian knowledge...I guess Man City are another huge club (take that, Fergie) who have played lots of seasons outside the top division.