paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Did not see that one coming. Chelsea can't be the only side involved in that sort of thing, assuming they're actually guilty of course

crackerjack

...assuming they're actually guilty of course

Ha ha.

So Chelsea are the second English club this week to get punished for something everyone does. I'm not complaining, but if UEFA don't play this consistently, these cockney clubs are entitled to know why.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
for some reason i expect it'll be more fuckries! the eduardo situation seems farcical but heyho. and it seems people are still banging on about rooney's effort.

is it fair to say that rooney just isn't that 'good' at diving? it's probably because he's such a naturally robust and balanced player, it makes it pretty easy to tell when he's going down intentionally.. :eek:

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, here's a situation:
semi final of the champions league and it's liverpool vs chelsea. liverpool are cruising through. they won the away leg 4-2 and it's 0-0 and we're 30 minutes into the home leg. gerrard breaks into the box and does exactly what eduardo does completely instinctively and the ref awards the penalty. gerrard, realising what he's done, sees himself being banned from the final, so goes to the ref BEGGING to be given a yellow card and have the penalty decision overturned.

could that really happen?

crackerjack

ok, here's a situation:
semi final of the champions league and it's liverpool vs chelsea. liverpool are cruising through. they won the away leg 4-2 and it's 0-0 and we're 30 minutes into the home leg. gerrard breaks into the box and does exactly what eduardo does completely instinctively and the ref awards the penalty. gerrard, realising what he's done, sees himself being banned from the final, so goes to the ref BEGGING to be given a yellow card and have the penalty decision overturned.

could that really happen?

eduardo was punished for deception. In coming clean, Gerrard has done nothing he can be punished for, regardless of the initial dive.

More like this please. We need a You Are The FIFA Retrospective Banning Panel thread.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the rags have been tapping up players for years.

p.s.
speaking of dodgy pens, Brentford v Oldham last weekend. oh aye.

don_quixote

Trent End
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/04/england-slovenia-diving-john-terry

what the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK??? how can he say that?

i really dislike this england team - but i like capello!! call me whatever you want, but i'll probably be supporting turkey again once south africa comes about (presuming they qualify which is far from a certainty). or russia. or argentina under maradona (presuming they qualify!)

or all the african nations who qualify as per usual - ghana should do the business in this tournament - quarter finals?

and north korea! i really want to see england vs north korea. that would be boss.

don_quixote

Trent End
list of teams who have qualified:
australia
japan
south korea
north korea
holland
south africa

list of teams who have all but qualified:
england (if you disagree with this feel free to not have an opinion worth any salt)

other teams currently sitting in qualifying berths:
denmark
greece
slovakia
germany
spain
serbia
italy
russia (12), france (10), bosnia (9), croatia (8), hungary (7), switzerland (7), northern ireland (7), ireland (7), macedonia (7) - (2nd place teams - bottom team drops out and remaining 8 are drawn in playoffs against one another)
new zealand/bahrain/saudi arabia - playoffs
gabon
tunisia
algeria
ghana
cote d'ivoire
costa rica
honduras
usa
mexico/ecuador - playoffs
brazil
chile
paraguay
argentina

with north korea having qualified and the likes of bahrain, gabon, bosnia and honduras in the mix it could be an exciting world cup looking at who qualifies.

fifa really need to think about opening up more qualification for africa though, although i don't think it should be at the expense of europe. (addition - if they were offered play-offs against european sides, that would be good)

european qualifying is crap and needs sorting out so there are less mismatched games.

nomos

Administrator
what the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK???
i think terry often doesn't get the recognition he deserves. he's truly a world class prick.

anyway, since canada can't play its way out of a paper bag i'll be doing the usual: starting with france (greatest concentration of arsemen) and rooting for any additional teams that grab my attention along the way.

Last edited:

crackerjack

and north korea! i really want to see england vs north korea. that would be boss.

Have North Korea qualified since reaching the q-f back in 66? No Eusebio to overwhelm them this time, they could go all the way.

what the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK??? how can he say that?

It's amazing how English footballers keep trotting out the old line about only foreigners diving. It's like the Oasis of football cliches - valid once, now just a blind refusal to accept that things done changed.

don_quixote

Trent End
no, north korea haven't qualified since 66.

i would insert a jazzy factoid about north korean football here, but i don't have one. other than hoping when everton play benfica in the europa league at goodison i hope eusebio turns up.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i think terry often doesn't get the recognition he deserves. he's truly a world class prick.

jeez he really is. i had the misfortune to meet him a few times years ago when i was temping on the security gate of one of those high-walled estates where footballers and bankers live. he was the only person universally hated by residents and staff!