The future for dubstep and grime

mms

sometimes
Majors are just interested in big acts that will sell alot to audiences that buy alot of music, and thats not grime so forget about majors. there hasn't been any really exciting music on majors for about 5 years now, and if there has it's only been by accident, or because the majors have thought they'd make alot, but they soon drop bands that don't make money or shelve albums, shelve artists etc.. its so common. The times of majors investing in music that they don't think is guaranteed to appeal to alot of people is over.
As a caveat hadouken just got signed to a major, but the deal has been wide-reaching in terms of what the assets are the major will have a part of, so the deal stretches across all their avenues of income as a band. Sure we shall see how that goes. But i;ve never really understood the 'i wanna be on a major' attitiude, indies are better and fairer.

Large independent labels are thriving comparably, it's never been a better time to be an independent as long as indies don't start acting like majors, because they sign pretty good music, the problem with being a large indie is the lack of power within the industry the indies have as the majors control most of it and have a huge amount of comparable weight when dealing with other companies, organistions etc, and can get fucked over easier. They're usually run by people that really love music too and staffed by people who are the same.

also forget about myspace, its a complete myth, surely everyone knows this now, good for hearing and finding new acts for sure but its not really going to make anyone famous, and anyone who has pretended they've had alot of success directly from myspace is just pr-ing.

Grime has had a few chart hits, i think its about organisation and promotion more than anything else, making sure thats sorted out, not having too high expectations, being willing to gamble a bit of money etc, merchandise and those things. Make the best tracks you can, listen to the audience and all that, make contacts.

Last edited:

gumdrops

the (on-on-on-ongoing) prob with grime is that when it comes to making songs, and albums/mix-cds etc, a lot of the artists instantly view it as 'their chance to blow' (or something along the lines, a ticket along the way there at least) so they think it has to be compromised slightly from jump. and sadly, this results in tracks made in a very unimaginative format/structure, one thats based almost too perfectly on mainstream hip-hop singles, hence crappy shoehorned-in hooks, and flows that sound slightly tempered and at worst, transparent crossover-tilted beats/hooks that dont really do much for anyone, grime fans or pop fans. some imagination about how crossover tracks could be made would be nice (stand up tall for example) but people just seem to go straight for the cliched/tried and tested. i feel sorry for a lot of artists cos they think doing this is the only way they can make a living from this music (and most of them are also just really desperate to 'blow up'), cos to be fair, the signs arent really encouraging for hardcore 'real' grime to succeed on a large level, but at the same time, i dont really care to support tracks like uptown girl, this is the girl, heartbreak avenue, etc. i think theyre desperate, a bit rubbish and embarassing and while i sympathise, i dont really respect the artists much for doing it.

if there was at least a national black music chart like they have in the US, this problem might not be so bad. it wouldnt be a case of either 'underground' or 'pop' - there could be something in between.