Burial "Untrue"

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
no, its a reference to one of burials favourite films, kramer vs kramer. theres also a hauntological bent because obviously that film was made before burial was born,therefore its a past that he doesn't remember. or something. i'm sure i read this in an interview somewhere.

and by referencing Kramer vs Kramer, he makes due notage of its exquisite and perfectly formed plot, which, like Burial's own score to his imaginary soundtrack to his imaginary film of the same title, uses the idea that, upon the pivotal key point, exactly 3/4 of the way through the film, exactly 78.75 minutes into the opus, Meryl Streep bursts into tears. It's long been proven that watchers - and indeed listeners - are at their most vulnerable during this crucial 3/4 way point of any film. We find Burial using exactly this technique 3/4 of the way through his second opus, 'burying' subliminal tears and the sound of burning at this point of his work, thus hinting at the venerable fact that we too, as the human race, are 75% of the way through our existence, but Burial also gives hope, hence the title of the work - 'Untrue'.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Sloane and Bassnation are funny.

You guys should write for Fact. :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
and by referencing Kramer vs Kramer, he makes due notage of its exquisite and perfectly formed plot, which, like Burial's own score to his imaginary soundtrack to his imaginary film of the same title, uses the idea that, upon the pivotal key point, exactly 3/4 of the way through the film, exactly 78.75 minutes into the opus, Meryl Streep bursts into tears. It's long been proven that watchers - and indeed listeners - are at their most vulnerable during this crucial 3/4 way point of any film. We find Burial using exactly this technique 3/4 of the way through his second opus, 'burying' subliminal tears and the sound of burning at this point of his work, thus hinting at the venerable fact that we too, as the human race, are 75% of the way through our existence, but Burial also gives hope, hence the title of the work - 'Untrue'.

:D:D:D

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
no, its a reference to one of burials favourite films, kramer vs kramer. theres also a hauntological bent because obviously that film was made before burial was born,therefore its a past that he doesn't remember. or something. i'm sure i read this in an interview somewhere.

So cynical :D . I hate it when you get a past that you can't remember inside your head. And then you have to make an album about it.

PeteUM

It's all grist
i find it difficult to get my head round this view; surely music is either good or shit. who cares whether its popular or not? why does this have any bearing? protection is a great album. spying glass, karmacoma etc - all still stand the test of time.

Well, I said I didn't like Massive Attack (even though, as I said, I sort of admire their craft etc) so I find it kind of vexing when their music gets everywhere for years on end and people who aren't sad music geeks like myself have a copy in their car and blah blah blah. On the other hand, when music I do like gets very successful it doesn't annoy me at all. It's kind of an inconsistent position, I realise...

zhao

there are no accidents
i think the point with bringing up massive attack was the period-ness of it, how it encapsulates a certain time period, after which sounds rather dated or atleast not nearly as pertinent as it did then. and i think it might be an apt comparison. i actually dont think it's likely that burial will be nearly as culturally significant, in terms of huge broad appeal, as massive attack was.

N

nomadologist

i think the point with bringing up massive attack was the period-ness of it, how it encapsulates a certain time period, after which sounds rather dated or atleast not nearly as pertinent as it did then. and i think it might be an apt comparison. i actually dont think it's likely that burial will be nearly as culturally significant, in terms of huge broad appeal, as massive attack was.

I agree, I think the Burial album is less (or more?) ambitious in a different way. Burial has limited his sound's appeal and made it pretty specifically for people who used to like this kind of music...the futurism in it is nowhere near as "forward" looking as Tricky's was--it's backwards looking retrofuturism.

tox

Factory Girl
Turns out it's not. It's someone talking about Asher D(!)'s character in Bullet Boy

http://www.bulletboy.net/castcrew/

Third person down - someone on Dubstep forum googled the quote...

...a film which Massive Attack did the soundtrack for. And the circle is complete!

nah, seriously, thanks for that. the start of the tune with that quote in it is the focus point of the album for me. interesting stuff.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Burial definitely has both momentum (Versus) and rudeboy elements (Pirates), but not on this latest album...

bollocks, double bollocks. just listen to the swing in the drums, it's pure rhythmic energy. and on the new lp there's several rude moments, not least when he drops into the drum breakdown and 'straight from the underground' samples, though i admit the new lp is more melodic and female vocal orientated than the first, but that's its strength.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
bollocks, double bollocks. just listen to the swing in the drums, it's pure rhythmic energy. and on the new lp there's several rude moments, not least when he drops into the drum breakdown and 'straight from the underground' samples, though i admit the new lp is more melodic and female vocal orientated than the first, but that's its strength.

Haha... fair enough... I definitely didn't mean my comments above to be in any sense pejorative... I do think the drums on this album have less swing to them than before (ie the perversely crumbling autistic anti-rhythm of "Broken Home")... they are also mixed lower, more muffled, obviously they are subservient to the vocals, which is the strength of this album. Without massively shifting his (fairly limited) pool of sound sources Burial has delivered an album which is satisfyingly differentiated from the debut. The drum/bass/flute fill break segment on "Shell of Light" is pretty rude tho...

ALTHO: if you interpret ruff/rude in the sense Tim F meant than all the commercial (very commercial if you followed the sample controversy) Rnb samples could easily be seen as grounding the album more firmly in that tradition...

gumdrops

i dont really like this that much. burial isnt really a dance producer, so i dont know why most of this seems to be him trying to make something that would get people going in a club while still trying to sound like himself. it doesnt work IMO. seems like the same drum pattern for more than half the album and its not an interesting drum pattern either, just a generic 2 step thing sent through the usual burial filters. he was better when he kept a basic semblance of 2steppy rhythms but dropped things out so they sounded all dilapidated and fragile. synth-wise, this seems like a bit of a rehash of the first one too (inevitably i suppose, thats just his style), but nowhere near as haunting. im probably being harsh and i do need to hear it some more (i might change my mind), but i cant really be bothered. seems like he wanted to make an album, but didnt really know what to do second time round as he never planned on making much more than the debut, so was just fumbling around and came up with untrue.

and the vocals on arch angel are crap!!!