this radiohead thing then.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Ray Davies is the latest to be giving his music away.

HTML:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7042157.stm

Why are these people going to the right wing press to give their music away?

gumdrops

listening to this now. i do like a few tracks but quite a bit of it seems typical supposedly-aching-melancholy-beauty-but-really-just-yorkeian-mournfulness-by-numbers radiohead. which is odd cos the reviews i read said this was radiohead not doing the type of stuff thats their trademark.

and yes, i agree about the loudness being annoying. i tried to turn it down and play with the EQ on my PC (not the best way to listen i know but i dont have a cd burner) but its still just very loud, whatever you do. could be just cos im ill but i find it a bit hard to listen to cos of that.

still, house of cards is great - has a really lovely very hendrixian 'may this be love'-meets-MBV (maybe jesus and mary chain too?) guitar part in it.

Leo

i admit it: i'm too lazy to track down and listen to all 19 remixes, are there any in particular worth getting? some good names at the controls, must be at least a few.

e/y

the Jaques (sp?) Greene and Caribou (yay Canada!) remixes were good. apparently so was the Nathan Fake one, but haven't heard it. the rest I thought ranged from poo to average. for example, the Lone / Pearson Sound ones are well produced and have many of their signature elements, but I would much rather buy their own records. I think Yorke's voice generally ruins them. meh overall.

stephenk

I think Yorke's voice generally ruins them.

this is kind of my thought on radiohead in general.
but the whole project seems ridiculous imo. we can't decide who would turn in a really good remix so let's just ask everyone. part of the remix thing is choosing someone who compliments (or doesn't) your style + i'm always really put off by these sorts of huge lists because it's clear there's very little curatorial work being done.

CrowleyHead

It's also really obnoxious whenever Yorke tries to be down with electronic music.

I mean, two years ago, when I was younger, and Yorke was only listening to Hyperdub, it was 'cool'. But basically listening to these obnoxious future garage remixes, it just feels more and more like he's trying to be 'hip' with the kids. Granted, if he were trying to comission remixes from Tri-Angle it'd be even worse, yet at the same time....

Leo

It's also really obnoxious whenever Yorke tries to be down with electronic music.

I mean, two years ago, when I was younger, and Yorke was only listening to Hyperdub, it was 'cool'. But basically listening to these obnoxious future garage remixes, it just feels more and more like he's trying to be 'hip' with the kids. Granted, if he were trying to comission remixes from Tri-Angle it'd be even worse, yet at the same time....

i totally agree with this. only thing is, i get the feeling a megastar like him is really in a no-win situation: if he picked obvious mainstream remixers, we'd probably say "oh, that's so lame, imagine if he worked with people like pearson sound or blawan!" and then when he does work with them, we say "oh, that's so lame, he's trying to be hip for the kids." :)

it's like when u2/bono try to do anything. doesn't matter what it is, i think it's lame!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ah, hipster ESP.

And the way that all you can argue for months that music is self-evidently amazing and anyone with ears to hear can't help but love it, but as soon as someone who isn't underground enough for you listens to it, they must be just "trying to be cool".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I don't think he's trying to be 'down' necessarily. All/most of the producers they've picked to do remixes sort of fit into the Radiohead aesthetic - i.e. fairly miserabilist electronica/techno and indie-ish post-dubstep (Jamie XX). I'm not surprised by any of the artists they've picked, really. There's definitely something quite indie-fied about a lot of that Boomkat worshiped music - which isn't necessarily a slur.

To be honest it's probably a very good thing for all of the producers involved since it gives them much more publicity outside of the online enclave of music nerds. Whenever Thom Yorke puts up a video on the Radiohead website it seems to boost the youtube views by about 40,000 (whatever THAT really means).

e/y

forgot to say - I liked the Actress remix. still, 3/4 good remixes out of nearly 20 is shoddy. just seems half-arsed, though perhaps well intentioned (ie, like Corpsey says, to give these producers more exposure).

Leo

Ah, hipster ESP.

And the way that all you can argue for months that music is self-evidently amazing and anyone with ears to hear can't help but love it, but as soon as someone who isn't underground enough for you listens to it, they must be just "trying to be cool".

isn't this what music discussion boards are all about?? :)

Phaedo

It definitely seems more like a tip-of-the-hat kind of thing rather than "Lets get some really high quality remixes". If they have just used the best 25% they would of been onto a winner.

Get the impression that when a lot of the producers realised there was so many other remixes they just couldnt be bothered to make something really worthwhile. Theres a FEW really nice bits inbetween the rubbish though.

CrowleyHead

This is someone I actually musically like! It's just...

A big turn off for me was the Low-End Theory set. Alternating between the Burial and Madvillian songs. They were just so... OBVIOUS. And then hearing that godawful Doom Remix.

I just feel like Yorke's whole mentality has become a bit of a caricature now. I don't know how he could improve it, I have no direct criticisms. It's just not something I find as cool as I did.