admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
N

nomadologist

riiight. i kinda like spankrock's production but the scene in general doesn't do too much for me. seems like recycled ideas a lot of it.

backyard betty is a very funkily danceable tune in that backup tha booty way

bruno

est malade
air
falco
bitstream
claro intelecto
phil collins
whitney houston
photek
silvio rodriguez
slide five
el-p
autechre's chiastic slide
farmers manual
kruder and dorfmeister
biosphere
a pete namlook cd
that futurism comp
that alva noto sakamoto record
that spiritual life music comp on nuphonic

my contribution to global warming.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Oh yeah I remember a big one too:

Any of that undergrad, white-boy multisyllabic hip hop for the "thinking" man. I can't believe I was into anything put out by Saul Williams or Anticon records for more time than it takes a fart to smell.

tom pr

Any of that undergrad, white-boy multisyllabic hip hop for the "thinking" man. I can't believe I was into anything put out by Saul Williams or Anticon records for more time than it takes a fart to smell.
I haven't bought anything from anticon in time, but that Deep Puddle Dynamics album is still a classic in my eyes.

tom pr

Actually, I can't think of a single thing I used to like and now actually hate (anything I listened to past the age of about sixteen anyway). There are bands like Isis who I used to love and now think are total shit, but that's due to the declining quality of their output; I still think their old stuff is great.

I've got God knows how many records that I haven't played for years (mainly early 00s undie rap anticon/Demigodz/Molemen/Rhymesayers/Def Jux stuff but also Boards of Canada, Bonnie Prince Billy, Lamb), but on the odd occasion I do throw them on I still think they're ace. I don't think it's nostalgia either, I just have other priorities now.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
do you guys see bmore becoming a mature genre? (not mature as in lyrics about existentialism but mature as in stylistically developed and varied enough to become something that will be around for the next 10 years) or flavor of the year?

Here's the dilemma. There's been some progression, especially if you listen to some of the late '90s stuff, and then compare it to Rod Lee or DJ Technics tracks -- much more developed, some pretty interesting percussion, etc. But it's been more or less hijacked as the hipster booty dj flavor of the year, and now anyone with fruityloops and serrato can churn out remixes using the basic bmore-shuffle riddims (there are like 3 or 4 main rhythm patterns that get recycled). Very little imagination, it's just a way to put a hipster-twist on popular hip hop and r&b. Aaron Lacrate I guess is the poster child of this, and actually all the old skool Baltimore guys hate him for being what he is: a suburban carpetbagger who's piggybacked on a 20-year-old music culture who now gets bigger gigs than they do because he's white. They have started making anti-gutter-music shirts in Baltimore in protest (tried to find a pic, but couldn't).

Have you listened to either of the Blaqstarr EPs floating around? Superstarr on Mad Decent and... an older one, I can't think of the name. They are definitely next level, you can't pigeon-hole them into bmore, but they are definitely out of that scene. Weird dark harmonizing, loads of ideas, very nice drum programming -- the intricacy reminded me of vintage RZA, seriously! It's beautiful stuff, and it gives me hope.

Spankrock I wanted to like more than I did... I got the impression the producers are better DJs than beat-makers. The tracks were overstuffed, not very coherent. Also not very representative of baltimore club, but sort of born out of a bmore-philly-hipster collision. The rapper (also named Spank Rock, confusing!) had a falling out with some of the DJ/producers I think; his new EP (bangers & cash) is a pretty one-note 2 Live Crew homage.

DJ Assault is Detroit -- depending on who you are you call it ghettotech (the commercial name), ghetto bass, fast shit, whatever. Detroit's booty scene peaked earlier than bmore (around 2000), and had more techno influence than Baltimore (which has more breakbeats, I think a go-go influence), but both scenes cherished a lot of the same records early on: italo, Chicago house, Miami bass, etc. There's still a lot of people who make and like the music, but it used to be THE Detroit music, it was EVERYWHERE from like 1998-2000. Then it declined for several reasons. Scene infighting, which broke down on racial lines; increased interest in dance music circles which made the artists look for quick cash-ins outside Detroit (Detroit's scene was really competitive, but people didn't could rest on their laurels when they played other places); and rap catching up to the bass sounds. Fergie songs are basically ghettotech according to a lot of Detroit people.

Dusty

Tone deaf
The Chemical Brothers: For some inexplicable reason, there was one year when I saw them three times and was whooping at The Private Psychedelic Reel with everyone else. Now the mere thought of Beth Orton makes me want to throw up over Tom Rowlands' lanky hair.

Oh yes, I really need to purge my collection of all Chemical Brother CDs soonish.

I still adore Biosphere, its a shame to see him mentioned. Going back to Beck, his Sea Change album redeemed him for me.

MankyFiver

anything that is loosely termed 'street'

so that covers lots of bases, but i have found i have no interest in what kids on my estate are listening to or making or loving - its so far from where i feel i am and want to be - i spose ive become electronically retro

zhao

there are no accidents
wow fanks for the primer Gav. i didn't know the sound was 20 years old. arc of the story is familiar though. same old biters-gettin-paper story over and over again.

well interested to hear the Blaqstar EPs... if you can be bothered, click my screen name there is option to send private message ;)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
wow fanks for the primer Gav. i didn't know the sound was 20 years old. arc of the story is familiar though. same old biters-gettin-paper story over and over again.

well interested to hear the Blaqstar EPs... if you can be bothered, click my screen name there is option to send private message ;)

DJ Technics did a couple hour-long mixes that are like history lessons for Baltimore club, all the influential records. I will throw those up too.

N

nomadologist

Yeah, I really thought DJ Assault had to be from Bmore!

Gavin are you going to write a book about booty bass musickz? because you should

P.S. can i get blaqstarr too? :)))))

Alfons

Way of the future
late 90s ninja tune and big beat/breakbeat stuff is what got me into electronic music, a lot of it I find horrible now. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Skint, Propellerheads.... horrible beer boy dance music

gumdrops

you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but watching the video for 'Over and Over' and actually seeing these guys certainly doesn't help either.

haha
OTM
when i first saw them before getting into their music (which i do like now, although the smugness of the singer seems to creep in ever so slightly at several points, which i find distracting) i thought they were all quite deserving of my loathing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
late 90s ninja tune and big beat/breakbeat stuff is what got me into electronic music, a lot of it I find horrible now. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Skint, Propellerheads.... horrible beer boy dance music

I'd agree on stuff like Propellerheads, Chemicals and a lot of later Prodigy, but early Prodge is something different altogether, it's fucking mental in the best possible way.

Alfons

Way of the future
I'd agree on stuff like Propellerheads, Chemicals and a lot of later Prodigy, but early Prodge is something different altogether, it's fucking mental in the best possible way.

Yeah I should have mentioned that, I still rate Experience as very good hardcore as well as their singles before that. Some of the stuff on Music for the ... is alright as well, but the stuff that got me into their sound (Poison, Voodoo People, Firestarter etc) I find horrible today. As well as all their attempts to get more rockish; guitars and so on. Can't believe I found that stuff interresting and that for many years a concert of theirs was one of the best I had ever seen (a Chemical Brothers concert was up there as well...)

straight

wings cru
the problem with laCrate is the same as with other people appropriating ghetto musics like bonde de role and buraka som sistoma and reason grimes had a lot of trouble travelling. people making ghetto music are ghetto people and most likely a liability to have on the road, certainly not in the post-indie dance clubs that are eating this multicultural dance craze up, . could you see modular or mad decent putting a load of african geezers or some rio badmen on tour? it makes more sene for them to hype up some 2nd hand irony merchants who arent as likely to get shot before their albums delivered

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
it makes more sene for them to hype up some 2nd hand irony merchants who arent as likely to get shot before their albums delivered

Perhaps, but it also leads to second-hand watered-down piss-taking music. Fuck that. I don't really give a shit how film major DJs get paid.

Diplo dissing Lacrate -- humanitarian interventions LOLZ:

diplo_cover.jpg

"I had to go to court with Blaqstarr to help him get a passport, `cause he has a gun charge. That’s gutter."

http://formatmag.com/features/music/diplo/