Favourite Grime MCs.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not being in the midst of the scene, I just think her style (regardless of how she came up) is as recognisable and distinct as Dizzee's seemed a couple of years back (before I heard so much of him that the initial 'wtf' factor faded a little). Could really see her hititng it big.

C

captain easychord

yeah she just came out of nowhere. fair enough though, there's got to be room for a little chav with a ja-faikan accent in the music game somewhere right?

judging from interviews she's all about being cheeky and self-depricating, so i don't think she's trying to front like she's hard or anything.

C

captain easychord

oh yeah MC list:

TOP BOYS:
dizzee
trim
kano
riko
slicks (the entire ruff squad is going on mucky on account of their voices getting deeper.)
d double e
stormin
demon
ghetto
durty doogz (or whatever he's called now)
kidman
shizzle

FAIR TO MIDDLING BOYS:
bruza
wiley
hyper
titch
stryder
lethal b
flow dan
nappa
flirta
sharky
ears
JME

LIVING ON SWAGGLE ROCK:
god's gift (total pants these days)
discarda
neeko
hyper fen
marci phonix
most youngas

jack

i'll second simon's concerns about god's gift. he's well paranoid and weird in aim high 2.

originaldrum

from start till done
who is that younger emcee who busts out on LOTM with

"kids in the hood, younger nasty
kids in the hood younger nasty"

all aggy

?

he's bare jokes,

Backjob

Obvious omissions from this thread:

donae'o
essentials

I really like donae'o, he's got this mature elder statesman thing going on and is kind of charmingly laid back compared to how hyper most mcs are. Fair enough, he's not some dazzling talent, but pretty much everything he does is nice, and "Bounce" is genius.

And come on! Essentials! Got to be near the top of the list as a crew, dunno how any of them do on their own, but they go together really well...

Backjob

Lady S

Didn't she get her break through the Streets or something? And if that's the case, do people resent the Mitchell Brothers too?

And if that is true, it's damn stupid. It's like rappers hating on people for getting a break via Dr Dre or something.

luka

the mitchell brothers don't cause resentment for two reasons. 1.no one has ever heard of them.
2.they're not presented as being part of the scene. they don't get put on compilations like run the road. they don't get shoehorned into magazine articles alongside dizzee and kano. so on and so forth. thy're not competing in the same market.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Sovereign and Shystie get resentment and dismissal because they haven't done the ground work, and got signed as a novelty.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
there's also something to be said about labels signing up a disproportionate amount of the female mcs out there because they feel they are on safer ground. ms dynamite came to prominance about the time when so solid were taking a hit from the media over their gunclap lyrics.

on that point (and completely unrelated)....it puzzles me how two recent media backlashes on garage crews (Govt led in the early 00s) and dancehall (championed by Outrage) have caused both scenes to faulter (in terms of sales etc) in the uk, yet previous media campaigns against say rave, punk, blah blah....have only served to fuel the fire

Last edited:

Backjob

I dunno, the govt campaign against happy hardcore in scotland in the mid 90s was pretty successful. They closed down all the clubs that played it and it got forced off the radio. You heard it blaring out of cars still for a while, and people would go to netherlands or newcastle to hear it, but eventually it couldn't sustain itself.

Once they start shutting down clubs, you're fucked really. That's what happened with so solid, wasn't it? They couldn't actually play anywhere, cos no promoter would have them...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Backjob said:
I dunno, the govt campaign against happy hardcore in scotland in the mid 90s was pretty successful. They closed down all the clubs that played it and it got forced off the radio. You heard it blaring out of cars still for a while, and people would go to netherlands or newcastle to hear it, but eventually it couldn't sustain itself.

Once they start shutting down clubs, you're fucked really. That's what happened with so solid, wasn't it? They couldn't actually play anywhere, cos no promoter would have them...

Maybe, but the Sex Pistols couldn't play anywhere either once the media jumped on them and most early raves were hardly 'legal' either

bun-u

Trumpet Police
boy better know said:
yeah, and they only released 1 album, so i don't really see your point.

well the smaller point is that punk didn't suffer from adverse media publicity

the bigger point, I dunno, maybe 'they' (the establishment for want of a better word) are better at crushing those sub-cultures they don't like or are worried about

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Champions League:
Trim
Strider
Stormin
Sharkey Major
Dizzee Rascal
L Man (N Double A)
Kano
JME
Riko
B-Live
Wiley
Ghetto
Ears
J2K

Premiership:
Donae'O
the Essentials mc's
Flow Dan
Scratchy
D Double E
Demon
Faction G
Escobar
Titch
Doogz/Goodz
Bossman (Meridian)
Purple
Breeze
Slicks

Vauxhall Conference:
Neeko
Ozzie B
fuck it, everyone in Fire Camp except Lethal B
Lady Sovereign
youngers crews (pretty much all terrible, although some of Wile Out Onez are ok)
Mr. Wong
Jammer (as an mc, obviously not as a producer)

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

mr wong in the vauxhall conference category?! he might not be a skilled MC. but he makes up for it with sheer enthusiasm and his cool slurred voice. his MCing on 'orchestra borough' is great.

also, i thought ozzie b was surprisingly good on fwd riddim. altho when i used to hear him on the radio, say 6-8 months ago, he was UNBELIEVABLY bad. truly, i think my nan could have done better. think he got way too wrecked on skunk before those pirate sets...

Last edited by a moderator:

luka

is this just a uk forum?

no.though
most people are from the UK i'd imagine.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Vauxhall Conference- Jammer (as an mc, obviously not as a producer)

That new tune of his, "Neckle" or "Murkle Man", is absolutely massive though. True, he doesn't really have a "flow" on it as much as just go completely mental, but still.