live digital music dissapointing shocker

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Good quote Zhao but it leaves me wondering which one of those kinds is David Lynch, seems to combine both elements...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Marshall Jefferson in David Toop's Ocean Of Sound:

"Really, I was trying to get a mood something like the old Black Sabbath records or Led Zeppelin. So that's how it got the name Acid Tracks, because it's supposed to put you in a mood, you know? For one thing, the tune is eleven minutes long of the same thing. Slight changes, but not that noticeable. Like when you listen to a real long solo in the old days it's the same bass line going and everybody's doing something different over it. That's supposed to capture a mood. Now what everybody thought acid house was after that was a drum machine and that acid machine, the Roland TB-303, which was not the truth. Acid house was meant to be the capturing of moods. You don't have to use the same machine all the time. You can use different instruments. I hate that machine with a passion now. Everybody's using it wrong. The way they're doing it now it's not capturing any moods. It's disrupting thought patterns, man. That just hurts when you listen to it all night. It stabs your brain, man."

noel emits

Sun Ra and Fela Kuti both talked about how the wrong music could be bad for your wellbeing - even dangerous.

mms

sometimes
HOWEVER: A lot of these guys can obtain arts-council funding and the like or pursue alternative/parallel careers in sound art/installation art. I'm sure they will be fine.

i saw an ikeda thing last year and it was bad, like an artsy powerpoint presentation, the sound was fine though. arrtss fuuunn dddead.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
mms: If that was his datamatics thing then I can't help but disagree with that, I thought it was pretty excellent.

I've not actually seen the installation/sculpture stuff that Carsten Nicolai does in the flesh but going by some shots of it I saw from an exhibition in Berlin a couple of years ago he's probably an even better visual artist than a musician.

zhao

there are no accidents
Sun Ra and Fela Kuti both talked about how the wrong music could be bad for your wellbeing - even dangerous.

i think this comes down to the fragmentation vs. unification thing (remember that one kid who was all into spiritual practices that stopped by here for a few days? some of the stuff he said mades sense to me). or at least that's one way of thinking about it.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
i think this comes down to the fragmentation vs. unification thing (remember that one kid who was all into spiritual practices that stopped by here for a few days? some of the stuff he said mades sense to me). or at least that's one way of thinking about it.

Do you want to elaborate on this Zhao- Fragmentation vs Unification??? At what level? In terms of genre of music, of the audience-performer relation, at the level of sonic texture or what, exactly?

noel emits

Who decides if its wrong?
I dunno, who decided that stabbing yourself in the face is wrong? ;)

You'd have to ask them really but Ra and Fela both said that musicians playing the wrong music were harming themselves, and by extension their audiences. Wrong is not a judgment here, if it's aimlessly damaging then it's 'wrong'. You may or may not subscribe to that view but that's at least partly the idea. Music as a spiritual language can promote unity and integration or disunity and alienation, or other weird things in between. Obviously using music to explore dysfunctional states is valuable as long as you know that's what you are doing and not just fetishising the sickness. Many ancient musics around the world are all about this kind of healing and are highly developed with it.

shudder

the last laptop performance I saw was a performance with Marc Leclair aka Akufen doing his thing (hitting play?) to a film called 5mm which just seemed like particularly well-done visualisation of the music. Everyone was seated as in a theatre, and it didn't really work. The guy who'd played before him, "Des cailloux et du carbone" was actually more interesting, ambienty soundscapey stuff that eventually (over the course of 40 minutes or so) morphed into some pretty cool minimally stuff. Which we were all sitting down to. But before either of them was this incredible improvisation by Pauline Oliveros on accordion and Anne Bourne on cello and voice, and it really really really showed how much more interesting it is to watch two very talented instrumentalists interacting very deeply than it is to watch a (probably very talented) dude with a macbook.

zhao

there are no accidents
Do you want to elaborate on this Zhao- Fragmentation vs Unification??? At what level? In terms of genre of music, of the audience-performer relation, at the level of sonic texture or what, exactly?

Who decides if its wrong?

well hopefully the listener knows the difference between something that makes him/her feel bad, and something which makes him/her feel good.

and this is coming from someone who considered purchasing the Merzbox when it came out... obviously it's not so cut and dry when it comes to avant garde practices (like noel said there is value in exploring dissonance and other states of mind) --- but in terms of spiritual health it is very clear that some patterns of sounds/images make any human being feel disturbed, imbalanced, stressful, psychotic, and some make you feel balanced, peaceful and whole.

i think many people are confused about this, and are addicted to masochism / self torture.

may have something to do with anger, and without a proper release anger becomes directed toward the self -- when i was younger i loved to have my head repeatedly slammed into a wall by brutal, violent music. i found some kind of comfort in this, and sought after the most extreme forms of sonic pain. this impulse is very clear -- as i would get so angry that i would actually physically harm myself: scar on my left fore-arm to prove it.

the following i dug up from an old thread started by our bestest pal toccowich. there is some interesting stuff in there, i was glancing through it a bit just now...

these symbols are simply mandalas for schizoid consciousness

the 'devil' is the same concept as 'Maya' in india - the veil of illusion - the ego (or ahamkara) the thinking mind that seperates unified reality into infinite multiplicity

these symbols - when i look at them - split my consciousness - it feels like my third eye is being ripped apart

in actual fact, the world exisiting past the veil of ego is One - this can be posited with common logic. It is one Universe, and One 'Spirit'. The goal of all spiritual and esoteric paths is to unify the consciousness (Yoga means Union). What is known as 'bi-polar' or 'schizophrenia' is when someones consciousness has become VERY seperate, as opposed to moderately seperate which is what most human beings in modern society live in

Symbols such as the Sri Yantra, the Star of David (also the Anahata - Heart center - symbol in Yoga) and any Buddhist mandala are used to unify the consciousness - unify it in harmony between internal energies (yin-yang etc) and all other faculties of consciousness ('mind, body spirit' etc).

So yeah - don't look at these symbols unless you want your consciousness to be seperated and raped. Unify it instead!

As Rumi has said in the Mathnawi:

The cause of narrow-mindedness is multiplicity,
the senses are drawn in many directions,
Know that the world of unification lies beyond sense,
If you want Unity - march in that direction!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
well hopefully the listener knows the difference between something that makes him/her feel bad, and something which makes him/her feel good.

and this is coming from someone who considered purchasing the Merzbox when it came out... obviously it's not so cut and dry when it comes to avant garde practices (like noel said there is value in exploring dissonance and other states of mind) --- but in terms of spiritual health it is very clear that some patterns of sounds/images make any human being feel disturbed, imbalanced, stressful, psychotic, and some make you feel balanced, peaceful and whole.

i think many people are confused about this, and are addicted to masochism / self torture.

may have something to do with anger, and without a proper release anger becomes directed toward the self -- when i was younger i loved to have my head repeatedly slammed into a wall by brutal, violent music. i found some kind of comfort in this, and sought after the most extreme forms of sonic pain. this impulse is very clear -- as i would get so angry that i would actually physically harm myself: scar on my left fore-arm to prove it.

the following i dug up from an old thread started by our bestest pal toccowich. there is some interesting stuff in there, i was glancing through it a bit just now...

The killer for me is anything sentimental in the way which triggers any tendency towards nostalgia (on a psycho-emotional level), I hate that stuff. I'd rather listen to alienation that keeps me at peace than that. There is something very calming about horribly discordant ugly music, a kind of depersonalization and de-identification which is emotionally soothing. However any music can build an emotional bond, which over time becomes one which can create nostalgia which is sadness, mourning. So you can never go back at all.