Grime "essentials"

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
yeah it does depend on where your from to classify who you believe to be the innovators. I think its fairer to cite a collective conciousness in the London area around 1999 for the beginnings.

C

captain easychord

luka said:
2002=best grime year ever. not everyone was doing that angry thug thing j.me has been taking the piss out of recently for a start. nasty crew were at their best. i luv u dropped. eskimo was on every set. wiley was still a good MC. all the big crews could be heard on pirate. jammer was doing his best stuff.

agreed. the quality of the MC'ing on radio sets from that year hasn't been surpassed. you still had the residual friskiness of UKG, before a lot of the riddims got into that plodding half-time thing and MC's hadn't picked up that "hard-as-fuck-suck-yo-mamma-while-i-blow-out-my-vocal-cords" thing. you can't beat NASTY c. 2002 on live sets. sharky, d double e, storming, hyper, kano, armour with MAC 10 running the decks... too much bruv.

that said, there weren't actually releases the way there are in 2004 and this year, i mean proper vocals.

luka

no not many vocal tracks. the first dizzee ones, a few nasty ones, a couple of d.e.e classic, birds in the sky and organise, kano dropped his first one, sharky did ain't a game, so there was quality but not nearly as much quantity. i was listening to a nasty set featuring esco from late 2002 when i wrote that and i couldn't beleive how good it all was.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Mack 10 and Jammer turning up every week with half a dozen new Nasty vocals.

Mack 10 playin in raves, dropping Dizzee's first first tunes and hem getting air.

The version of Eskimo with the 8 bar intro and the swaggest mix down.

Slimzee turning up to Sidewinder with VIPs of everyone else's set.

Pulse Eskimo getting the 3 gun salute in Sanctuary.

2002 was fun. But it's still fun nowadays, just needs some more exciting raves.