British Legion Poppies

IdleRich

IdleRich
"At least I make Mistersloane laugh sometimes with my stories, which is really my only intention. I don't recall you being funny like ever."
It's not just Mistersloane you make laugh.

N

nomadologist

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzing. Good one. I'm glad you can contribute to the discussion of Vimothy's childish, infantile, and quite sad misreading of the Left's established canon.

vimothy

yurp
I have studied this stuff extensively, as has HMLT and several others here. I'm sure they will be glad to clear things up for you eventually.

Oh well, in that case...

Nick Land (of Ccru) - Hyperstition:

This blog is not primarily political, in the sense of partisan (although of course I love northanger’s notion of “hyperstitional partisans” - even if it is is hard to read this as anything other than anticipatory, at best). For that reason it is easy to be distracted from topics which trigger intense partisan rancour, aiming somehow to avoid them. The trouble is, as everyone knows, such topics are precisely the ones everyone really cares about. Either we find a way to discuss them productively here, or we learn to tolerate perpetual seething hatefest - or we might as well give up.

First consider ‘Capitalism.’ There is really no doubt that whatever is happening on this planet is doing so under conditions guided by capital production. Whether affirmed or negated, the primacy of ‘capitalist’ imperatives is assumed, if only because the zones of maximal regenerative capital formation (the USA, China) exert such extraordinary pressure on their relatively retarded contemporaries (‘retarded’ defined within the framework of ‘capitalist rationality’ of course). Marx certainly had no doubts about it, and if his successors have radically transcended his stance in this respect they have kept very quiet about doing so. Islamism, too, is quite explicit about ‘capitalism’ as the negative definition of its ambition - ‘after communism, capitalism’ (to the grave, and if anyone really has a problem with the citational basis for this, I’ll dig heaps up)....

Read the whole thing, including the comments and you might better understand the difference of opinion (right and left) within Ccru.

The question, remember, is not whether D&G are "radically anti-capitalist" - that's your reading, and that's fine - but whether people can and do read them in that way. It's pretty clear that they can and do.

But rather than have a civilised debate about the relative merits of any of this, you're just going to carry on fitting and spluttering regardless and telling me that it's impossible...

N

nomadologist

The day HMLT 'clears up' anything will be the day Satan and Beelzebub have a fucking snowball fight.

You mean the same day you understand Freud, Lacan or any kind of psychoanalytical hermeneutics?

Yes they need our high interest loans and our restructuring of their economies and our training of their dictators and our weapons we sell to them and our drug trade and our rock stars holding concerts in their name and our humanitarian interventions with our NGOs providing ample ideological support so they can all just somehow get poorer, but don't worry they're developing, they're just a little slow. Actually they need us to fuck off, the people of Iraq have spoken and said as much, but we can pretend that we didn't hear, and that they're just being hotheaded Arabs all ululating n shit (I saw it on TV), and anyway we are just waiting to make sure we don't do anything rash like tell hired killers to go home because that might kill more people than we already do all the time.

This ex-poppy thread has certainly become a floating signifier!

But what's really ironic about the apologists for all the current (and proposed) Western invasions and interventions is their inability to see how all such interventions, particularly in the Middle East (largely via US neo-conservative dogma), has directly provoked a resurgent religious climate from which political Islam continues to benefit. We all know of the longstanding connections between the US and the numerous political-Islamists like bin Laden that they directly helped to create in the first place; so we should hardly be surprised to discover that the US appears to be totally indifferent to the fact that the previously secular Iraq has acquired its first Islamic constitution, that - indeed - all of the countries in that region of the world are increasingly turning to political Islam, from Pakistan to Iran, from Afghanistan to Iraq, from Lebanon to Palestine, from Egypt to Saudi Arabia, etc. It more corresponds to an inter-exciting feedback mechanism in which so-called Western 'Islamophobia' feeds the development of political Islam which strikes back (9/11 etc), leading to an escalation of Western interventions (combined with both repressive domestic policies and a retreat into religious obscurantism), leading to yet a further Islamicization of politics in those countries, and so on.

Objectively, then, the US-led onslaught in the Middle East has nothing whatsoever to do with the religion of Islam - at all. On the contrary, it has led directly to the strengthing of fundamentalist regimes almost everywhere, in keeping with the neo-con Project For A New Fundamentalist Century. As K-punk argued some time ago, "Structurally, as is evident, the role of the 'Islamic Terror' is to fill the gap left by the disintegration of Stalinism. That is why Saddam's quasi-Stalinist Baathist regime was the perfect transitional object for the US in the immediate years after the Cold War ended. Saddam was no more a Muslim than Stalin was a Christian. But he was 'Muslim' in the way required by the racializing fantasy; Middle Eastern, dark complexion, not Israeli.... This racist delirium, which equates sworn enemies like Saddam and bin Laden (the only thing they have in common is that they were both funded by the US), will therefore find victims amongst Sikhs, Hindus , atheists, anyone, in fact, whose skin tone or look belongs to a certain ill-defined category, as well as amongst Muslims. So any defence of Islam spectacularly misses the point of what Islamophobia actually involves."

The way forward, then, for those opposed both to political Islam and to US fundamentalist hegemony in these countries as elsewhere requires a politicization of Islam rather than the Islamicization of politics, but as the latter seems to be what is largely practised by all the multiple permutations of really existing political Islam, this is a tall order.

But at least some are doing it.

Extract

Political Islam exists because it was created in the final analysis by the policies of Western governments. And, I am not referring to the Iraq war alone or Western intervention in Afghanistan. These are only the most recent examples. Western governments have basically been supporting political Islam for some twenty to thirty years now, including the Taliban vis-à-vis the former Soviet Union. They created the climate for the problems we are faced with today. Political Islam rose to power when Western powers supported Khomeini against the Shah in order to control and in fact defeat the revolution in Iran. These are the roots of the political Islam that we see today. And that is only one aspect of the reality we are faced with.

The other is the way that Islam and religion are promoted as a whole in Western society. With Reaganism, Thatcherism, and neo-conservatism, religion has been given a growing role in education and our system of values in the name of multiculturalism and toleration of cultures.

Basically, then, if you want to find a solution to a problem, you must first understand what the problem is. The problem is not extremism. The problem is not only terrorism. The problem is political Islam.

First pull out of Afghanistan, Iraq and the Middle East. Second, declare that you support secularism everywhere in the world. Break ties with religious regimes like the Islamic Republic of Iran. Condemn Islam in government everywhere, including in Saudi Arabia or other countries allied to the West as well. Don't put West and East as a factor in your position and fight against terrorism. Don't just call it terrorism but political Islam. Fight political Islam and religion in political systems anywhere in the world.

The second step is to declare secularism and civil society as a universal value and goal for governments and people all over the world. It means that you have to condemn the Islamic Republic of Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Mr. Karzai in Afghanistan. It is not only a question of withdrawal from certain countries but the promotion of civil values, secular and humanistic values of the French revolution all over the world.

They can do this easily but they don't because when you think about it, you see that this is actually part of the policies of Western governments and the Western ruling classes. The problem is that having Islam and religion as a whole as a component of the political system is part of the new doctrine of Western neo-conservatism. It is a part of Thatcherism and Reaganism. It is a part of what Mr. Bush as done in the recent US election; his campaign was promoting himself as a representative of god in the White House.

This has to be fought. Everybody knows that Western governments won't do this because their policies won't allow it; they are fact promoting the exact opposite. They want to have some sort of even extreme Islam active in the world and support governments like Saudi Arabia for example and at the same time they do not want terrorism. You cannot do this. Either you stand against the whole thing and declare secularism, civil societal values, universal, humanistic philosophy of society, or you are condemned to having terrorism occurring all over the world again and again. That is the fact of life these days. A very concrete way of fighting political Islam is declaring and defining secularism as a universal value everywhere in the world.​

N

nomadologist

Oh well, in that case...

Nick Land (of Ccru) - Hyperstition:

This blog is not primarily political, in the sense of partisan (although of course I love northanger’s notion of “hyperstitional partisans” - even if it is is hard to read this as anything other than anticipatory, at best). For that reason it is easy to be distracted from topics which trigger intense partisan rancour, aiming somehow to avoid them. The trouble is, as everyone knows, such topics are precisely the ones everyone really cares about. Either we find a way to discuss them productively here, or we learn to tolerate perpetual seething hatefest - or we might as well give up.

First consider ‘Capitalism.’ There is really no doubt that whatever is happening on this planet is doing so under conditions guided by capital production. Whether affirmed or negated, the primacy of ‘capitalist’ imperatives is assumed, if only because the zones of maximal regenerative capital formation (the USA, China) exert such extraordinary pressure on their relatively retarded contemporaries (‘retarded’ defined within the framework of ‘capitalist rationality’ of course). Marx certainly had no doubts about it, and if his successors have radically transcended his stance in this respect they have kept very quiet about doing so. Islamism, too, is quite explicit about ‘capitalism’ as the negative definition of its ambition - ‘after communism, capitalism’ (to the grave, and if anyone really has a problem with the citational basis for this, I’ll dig heaps up)....

Read the whole thing, including the comments and you might better understand the difference of opinion (right and left) within Ccru.

The question, remember, is not whether D&G are "radically anti-capitalist" - that's your reading, and that's fine - but whether people can and do read them in that way. It's pretty clear that they can and do.

But rather than have a civilised debate about the relative merits of any of this, you're just going to carry on fitting and spluttering regardless and telling me that it's impossible...

Ok, I read this. And what Nick is saying is that the left is NOT RADICALLY ANTI-CAPITALIST ENOUGH. Do you know what hyperstition means?

vimothy

yurp
Ok, I read this. And what Nick is saying is that the left is NOT RADICALLY ANTI-CAPITALIST ENOUGH. Do you know what hyperstition means?

Are you for fucking real? Nick Land is the most right-wing, pro-capitalist person I have ever communicated with. Read the post again, Nomadologist.

N

nomadologist

The right have always been reluctant to acknowledge the shocking singularity of capitalism, so disruptive of conservative assumptions and universalistic complacencies. It seems that the left has now joined them, happier with pronouncements of emotional allegience than analytically defensible commitments. Almost everyone would probably prefer to avoid the hard task of precisely defining the singular course of terrestrial inevitability under the conditions of capital’s pilotage (social conservatives are unlikely to be enraptured by its destination). That is no reason for hyperstition to evade the question.

From the essay you linked to.

N

nomadologist

k-punk on hyperstition:

"Secondly, since capitalism is itself inherently fictional, it is essential that counter-capitalist fictions be produced. Fiction here would not mean an 'imaginary' (in a Lacanian or any other sense) alternative but an already-operative generator of possibilities.

Fiction ensures that things are not only themselves. Capital is the most effective sorcery operative on the planet at the moment because it is adept at transforming banal objects into a sublimely mysterious commodities. Trans-substantiation. The allure of the commodity arises from the non-coincidence of the object with itself. (cf Zizek's famous analysis of the 'nothingness' of Coke.) Anti-capitalism needs to take the form not only of a demystifying, depressive desublimation but of the production of alternative modes of sublimation."

dHarry

And it's fairly easy to read a pro-capitalist D&G, surely. (Right)? That's one of the things that pisses people off about them (and their so-called "vitalism").

In any case, to quote Whitman:

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
You sure do contain multitudes - and are in good company! - the most famous reader (read: misinterpreter) of a pro-capitalist D&G is Zizek (Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences) :slanted:

Anyway whatever about CCRU, what about what Deleuze says? Does this look pro-capitalist to you?

Deleuze said:
Capitalism has been tied from its birth to a savage repressiveness; it had it's organization of power and its state apparatus from the start. Did capitalism imply a dissolution of the previous social codes and powers? Certainly. But it had already established its wheels of power, including its power of state, in the fissures of previous regimes. It is always like that: things are not so progressive; even before a social formation is established, its instruments of exploitation and repression are already there, still turning in the vacuum, but ready to work at full capacity. The first capitalists are like waiting birds of prey. They wait for their meeting with the worker, the one who drops through the cracks of the preceding system.
from http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=31322645&blogID=219898222

Deleuze said:
The conquests of the market are made by grabbing control and no longer by disciplinary training, by fixing the exchange rate much more than by lowering costs, by transformation of the product more than by specialization of production. Corruption thereby gains a new power. Marketing has become the center or the "soul" of the corporation. We are taught that corporations have a soul, which is the most terrifying news in the world. The operation of markets is now the instrument of social control and forms the impudent breed of our masters.
from http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=02/11/18/1941201

N

nomadologist

He disagrees with Marx, as do a lot of people. He sees Islamic fundamentalism as the part of a binary with capitalism. He may be "right wing" but he's getting there using far left ideology.

N

nomadologist

You sure do contain multitudes - and are in good company! - the most famous reader (read: misinterpreter) of a pro-capitalist D&G is Zizek (Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences) :slanted:

Anyway whatever about CCRU, what about what Deleuze says? Does this look pro-capitalist to you?

from http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=31322645&blogID=219898222

from http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=02/11/18/1941201

thank you

vimothy

yurp
thank you

*Oh for god's sake*

This is like having an argument with a senile relative.

Read that again.

Nick is saying that capitalism is leading humanity towards a future that many on the right (especially cultural conservaties), natural defenders of capitalism, may not like. He is correct, IMO. You can find similar stuff at written at the Cato Institute. Unsuprisingly, the right is not simply one homogeneous block.

vimothy

yurp

I tried to allude to that upthread. Nomadologist either ignored it, missed it or couldn't make the connection.

Well, whatevs - they're philosophers, not finance experts. I think they're misreading markets themselves there. In any case, I feel that the aspects of D&G that appeal (or at least, did at one time) to me most -- the image of the rhizome, for an obvious e.g. -- are best served by capitalism and not communism / statism or Islamism.