Underwater Dancehall

mms

sometimes
i found it a little bit boring though, it was all a bit too clean, some stuff on it sounds like early 80's library music a bit, clean synth sounds and clean crisp fxs not enough dirt and filth. a bit too much like alan parsons dubstep . it had some good bits though, maybe i'm judging it too quickly, the vocals are what give it a bit of dirt on the first cd though i guess.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Really? Its antiseptic yes. Crisp and impersonal. Vacuum packed airlessness just like the best Minimal techno stuff... its unnatural dub, totally divorced from earthiness and grain. That's what I like about it I think.

mms

sometimes
Really? Its antiseptic yes. Crisp and impersonal. Vacuum packed airlessness just like the best Minimal techno stuff... its unnatural dub, totally divorced from earthiness and grain. That's what I like about it I think.

but basic channel etc isn't that antiseptic, it sounds foggy, like humans were behind it or really enjoying the force of the dub clouds they're making, whilst this sounds a little bit too carefully placed and refined. i'll def give it another listen though i'm totally open to the idea i will actually really start to enjoy it soon.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ah- yeah, its totally different to basic channel. More like the airless anti-space of Gui Boratto and Stephan Bodzin, manicured digital emptiness rather than organic depth.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm. Even I dislike "organic" as being an unecessarily loaded adjective... (eg: how is a recording of an acoustic guitar anymore "organic" than any other recording?-- its rockist ultimately is it not...) and meaningless... Can I change it to moist (the humidity of long reverbs and tape hiss and messy delay patterns) vs dry (precision tooled)? CHEERS ta very much...

zhao

there are no accidents
can someone ysi this or is it too much trouble? :D

in your drop box (wasn't there a song with distorted vocals that say something something in your drop box???? what the FUCK was it??? some industrial shit i wanna say... now it's bugging the ShIT out of me no not literally you scat freaks)

i ain't heard it yet though. i tell myself i should be excited about it but i just can't bring myself to listen to it and it's been a week since i had it what's wrong with me that i'm not excited about a big dubstep release can someone please please tell me?@?@??!?!!?!??!!????@@ :confused::confused::confused:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
i ain't heard it yet though. i tell myself i should be excited about it but i just can't bring myself to listen to it and it's been a week since i had it what's wrong with me that i'm not excited about a big dubstep release can someone please please tell me?@?@??!?!!?!??!!????@@ :confused::confused::confused:

Dubstep jumping the shark? Almost all the artist albums have been disappointing, eh (maybe save Burial?).

I've had it for a few days and haven't listened to it, but, like Woebot, I am still waiting for my dubstep epiphany and I don't think this will be it... crisp production has me all like :eek:

N

nomadologist

ooouchh, with the exception of Airwalk and the last track, I'd toss just about all of this album in the "no go" pile. The lyrics/vocals just sound absurd over this thin watery production, especially on track 6. Dubstep without automated reverb is, well, this Pinch album.

A for effort, about a D for execution.

Oops I meant "Airlock"

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

track 9's alright

is the fake sounding patois really necessary?

zhao

there are no accidents
just the prospect of yet more COLD music is anything but appealing right now -- in fact nothing on earth sounds more tedius. maybe a job at the morgue, working the incinerator night after night for 60 years. but even with that the fire would keep me warm!

i have listened to so much of this stuff that fits the descriptors Gek uses so eloquently for so fucking long, that i think finally i'm coming to the end of the long dark tunnel: it is a music of death. it is a music of spiritual bankrupsy, a music of profound ennui, a music of rigid confinement, of conformity and repression, of self hate, self imprisonment and self torture -- a soul-less music against expression, against openness, against love and sex and bodies and sensuality and against life itself: a music of death made by white people. i dont give a FUCK if that sounded racist. i've had it with their techno-centric BULLSHIT and their empty empty empty music of death.

give me some sweet Kizomba that melts my heart in 5 seconds flat. give me some Kwaito that makes me shake it all night long... give me an old Mexican drinking song. anything. but dubstep? don't come near me with that shit.

(at least for now. who knows i might feel different next month?)