180 Gram Vinyl Reissues

bunchoffives

Wild Horses
I wonder about the quality of these reissue pressings. Are the few vinyl plants left in business approaching master craftsmen level? Most of the remaining pressing plants have been in existence since vinyl was still the predominant form of music distro, no? I'm going on assumptions here so someone tell me if I'm wrong.

I guess you have to worry about the source material behind represses. Whether they're going to the original tapes or pressing from CD or some DAT they recorded from TV, etc. But surely it's still better than the hideous noise reduction and loudness boosts applied to every CD reissue these days.

Most of the 180g reissue I've picked up have sounded fine to me, better than the CD reissues in some cases. I know I'd reach for the 180g Cosmic Tones for Mental Art Therapy over the CD any day, even if the pressing looks slightly dubious.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
There's loads of myths why, louder, better/deeper grooves and more sturdy but it's all bollocks but it does feel a better and that's about it.

john eden

male pale and stale
Can't remember what label it was on, but it certainly looked cheap and nasty and sounded totally crap (I gave it away in the end). Listened to that for years before I got the reissue.

From what I can gather there was never a really good version of the album available (Didn't Lee Perry have it deleted or something?) and there was alot of work done on the original tapes, which were badly deteriorated for the Blood and Fire release. In cases like this remastering is really worthwhile I reckon.

I think Perry offered it to Island, who (for reasons which are not known to anyone sane) turned it down. So he pressed a few himself I think, including the legendary ones with the hand painted stripes on the sleeve. And yeah, B&F really knew what they were doing with the remasters and spent top dollar doing it...

mms

sometimes
I think Perry offered it to Island, who (for reasons which are not known to anyone sane) turned it down. So he pressed a few himself I think, including the legendary ones with the hand painted stripes on the sleeve. And yeah, B&F really knew what they were doing with the remasters and spent top dollar doing it...

i've got the version on the beat's label go-feet - it's fine that pressing, really lovely.
i got it by accident when some kid did a swap/nick - he swapped my original copy of moody 12" by esg for it and ran off with the esg 12".
not sure whether that is bad or not cos it's an incredible record.

Last edited:

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
There's loads of myths why, louder, better/deeper grooves and more sturdy but it's all bollocks but it does feel a better and that's about it.

Yeah don't know nuffink about the science of it but two facts are true;

fact one; buying shit flimsy warpy vinyl is vile; therefore heavy vinyl = better

fact two; whenever you buy a CD part of you can't help but feel a little bit ripped off cos its somehow a little cheap as a format.