The deathly stranglehold of retro cool

N

nomadologist

Unfortunately many sad young men are doing it, rather than trying to do something of their own that might be as interesting as Syd.

I really think that has more to do with the dictates of journalism, and needing readership badly enough that you make your writers stick to things that have a broad marketshare, than anything else.

Journalism is always journalism.

zhao

there are no accidents
what is this? where is it from? i loved the voice.

it's one man with a single string stretched over a stick. first thing an ex-GF said after hearing it is "i bet he's an amazing lover" :D

from this album:

41CJTY6NWCL._SS500_.jpg

one of several focusing on the region in the series... the others are awesome as well.

zhao

there are no accidents
this sounds fucking hilarious!

is it like derek and clive just saying 'cunt'? with different intonations of course :)

wow all kinds of drug-damaged retard 12 year olds showing up at this site. why don't you go alphabetize your Crystal Method CD collection and stop wasting everyone's time. oh and wipe that drool off your chin, it's fuckin disgusting.

adruu

This Is It
superficial novelty increases belief and expectations in innovation. the aesthetic realm (music, fashion, visual arts) as a whole expresses this momentum as a whole.

can we start name dropping the arcades project, or is that too cliche? i'm old.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
wow all kinds of drug-damaged retard 12 year olds showing up at this site.
It's probably part of some c01nt3lpr0 operation.

They have hordes of mind controlled beavis and buttheads trained to perform denial of sense attacks on di55id3nt message boards you know.

It's not the FB1 though, it's the r3c0rd c0mp4n135.

Last edited:

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
couldn't be bothered to read the other replies but it seems to me that the endless circle of 'retro' that guitar music is in is inescapable..i mean what more can you do with amplified guitars? We've had everything..clean, dirty, distorted, flanged, looped, white noisy, sitar pedals (hahaha), layered cats. spiky. dissonant. ghostly. i can't think of anything else to do. you can just try and build on the output of all those luminaries that got signed first... take a bit of experimental post punk, a bit of psych, a bit of solo wankage, and some feedback ofcourse, mix it all up, write your own songs. if you're a talented musician and you have the intuitive 'knack' you'll make something that'll resonate with people or at the very best make them go 'that sounds like all those guys but, like, BETTER'.
i don't think 'indie' musicians (and i don't mean indie in the current media derivation) lack ambition, there's just not alot that hasn't been done before. If anything you look around and see how shit mainstream music is (so what's new?) and the dominance of guitar music in the UK charts and you WANT to make a psychedelic concept album about an intergalactic salamander. at least i do.
besides without all these rags devoted to old music how else would the kids get down with the sounds of yesteryear? i know i wouldn't have gotten too far, my father loves opera and my mum spent the late seventies at Christian folk festivals.
if you want innovation, as has been said, you look to electronic music, it's still growing. when listening to a bunch of parts mixed together in a studio i am listening for something that is aesthetically pleasing, structures or changes that i have never heard before.

there's nobody more overplayed or plagarised than the Beatles, but when i heard Rubber Soul or Revolver for the first time it was a similar revelation to what must have been experienced when those records were first released.

zhao

there are no accidents
the endless circle of 'retro' that guitar music is in is inescapable..i mean what more can you do with amplified guitars? We've had everything..clean, dirty, distorted, flanged, looped, white noisy, sitar pedals (hahaha), layered cats. spiky. dissonant. ghostly.

add to that prepared, extended, maximalized, reduced, deconstructed, disembodied, decontextualized, re-contextualized...

was eating a sandwich the other day and caught some minutes of the euro-MTV awards. of COURSE it is just awful, awful, awful. but the EXTENT to which it is horrifyingly bad was very shocking. it was beyond puke-worthy... more like a profound annihilation of hope. me watching it was akin to the ghastly fascination some have with mutilated cadavers. the only remotely... graceful? can it be deemed as such? moment was the total boredom and out-of-it-ness exhibited by Ms. Winehouse...

but this is all stuff you guys already know... it was the first time i turned on MTV in years.

Last edited: