new york end of 60's music scene

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah, I've got it but I don't listen to it.

i don't listen to it often either... it's not everyday that i want to have a cataclysmic communion with everything-that-has-come-before and everything-that-will-be in the known and unknown universe!

Wildflowers!

never heard of that but i've got this box here. pretty out there stuff. includes the track Wire magazine was named after. not my favorite Lacy though... prefer the later albums.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh you mean this:

wildflowers.jpg

does look pretty nice.

vimothy

yurp
i don't listen to it often either... it's not everyday that i want to have a cataclysmic communion with everything-that-has-come-before and everything-that-will-be in the known and unknown universe!

Which makes sense, but I really don't get anything like that from Music Is The Healing Force of the Universe. I love Ayler, but not that album. Have you heard the tracks on the Revenant Records box set that were recorded at Coltrane's funeral? Now they are cataclysmically intense.

never heard of that but i've got this box here. pretty out there stuff. includes the track Wire magazine was named after. not my favorite Lacy though... prefer the later albums.

I like Lacy but don't know him very well. The Wildflowers set is mid-to-late '70s NYC energy musick loft jams - think of your kind of David Murrays, Sam Rivers, Leo Smiths, David Wares, etc, etc... Only $200 used from amazon.

petergunn

plywood violin
i've seen lightning bolt. it wasn't that loud. v good, but not loud.

a friend of mine used to work in the Village at, i think Cafe Wha... he said Cream would play 2 hows a day and inbetween shows he had to tighten all the bolts on all the seats! now, that's loud!

yeah the silver apples were amazing...even Danny's drumming was advanced...

have you heard John Cales' late 60s demos? they got released on a series of three cds by table of the elements a few years back. awesome shit...makes the velvets sound cheesy, esp. the track where he 'plays' the pause button on a tape recorder...total mindfuck

N

nomadologist

yeah the silver apples were amazing...even Danny's drumming was advanced...

have you heard John Cales' late 60s demos? they got released on a series of three cds by table of the elements a few years back. awesome shit...makes the velvets sound cheesy, esp. the track where he 'plays' the pause button on a tape recorder...total mindfuck

sounds amazing!! do they have a title that i can search for? i love his solo album Paris 1919. So languishing and so distinctly melodic.

sounds amazing!! do they have a title that i can search for? i love his solo album Paris 1919. So languishing and so distinctly melodic.

yeah i love paris 1919, but the 60s stuff is a million miles away from that, more an extension of his drone-theory period with La Monte Young in the Dream Syndicate.

here's the series...

http://www.discogs.com/release/360719

http://www.discogs.com/release/360253

http://www.discogs.com/release/1132249

apparently the tapes lay in a box forgotten at Tony Conrad's house for three decades.

zhao

there are no accidents

yeah really raw drone type things with good rough texture recorded in his loft. i like the string pieces but not a lot of those 3 or 4 volumes is essential to me. at the end of Stainless Steel Gamelan you hear Cale's neighbor yelling at him to TURN THAT AWFUL NOISE DOWN PLEASE!! :D but the music should actually be called Retard Gamelan, because it repeats like 2 sounds for 30 minutes (not necessarily a bad thing though)

anyone into the music of that fellow that left the Velvets because it was becoming too "poppy"? Angus MacLise. some of the best microtonal epic psychedelic music the 60s ever produced. i didn't even know The Invasion of Thunderbolt Pagoda was also a film (of which i guess the album is the soundtrack) until now, guess it will be hunted down sometime in the future.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've got some really good Lamonte Young work I guess from the 60s which sounds like it has Cale on it, very VU at points...it's on tape with no listing though so no idea what it is proper, any ideas?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I've got some really good Lamonte Young work I guess from the 60s which sounds like it has Cale on it, very VU at points...it's on tape with no listing though so no idea what it is proper, any ideas?
Is it the Day Of Niagra recording that Tony Conrad put out on his label? It's really bad quality and Young was totally opposed to it's release - I think he refuses to let anyone do anything with any of the Dream Syndicate recordings. Got to admire the ornery self mythologizing.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Is it the Day Of Niagra recording that Tony Conrad put out on his label? It's really bad quality and Young was totally opposed to it's release - I think he refuses to let anyone do anything with any of the Dream Syndicate recordings. Got to admire the ornery self mythologizing.

I guess I'll hafta put it into the computer and up a bit cos I'd really like to know what it is. By bad quality, yeah, I guess, it sounds like it was recorded in a loft but I just presumed it had been lol and that was how it was meant to sound.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
The story was that someone got into La Monte's archives and ran off a hasty bootleg on a cassette recorder - there's a bit where the tape goes all wobbly and drops out I think.

I think there are some other recordings that have surfaced so it might not be that anyway.