facebook

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
People from undergrad days is one thing, it's when people from school start resurfacing that you have to wonder - it's a sort of nostalgia-infused autopsy. There's this guy I knew when we were 14/15 whom I haven't seen since, and he's now my 'Facebook friend'; he was a nice enough guy if a bit of a loser and I really wouldn't mind being in semi-contact with him but almost every week I get an invitation from him to join in some Ninja Pirate Zombie Vampire nonsense, or to test my knowledge in a HILARIOUS quiz about tacky '80s films, because he's one of those numpties that merrily clicks away whenever anything like this comes up (and, of course, sends invitation to all his Friends by default).
Ah. Most of the people I spoke to twice at school have added me (presumably to look at my profile and see what I'm up to), maybe messaged me once or twice, and then more or less disappeared again. Except one guy who keeps inviting me to join groups relating to how only Ron Paul can save us from the NWO who did 9/11 in order to cement the fiction of global warming which a) doesn't exist and b) is a good thing anyway if you're a tomato farmer in the outer Hebrides. If I could be arsed I'd set my newsfeed to ignore him, but I can't so I don't. None of my friends seem to do irrelevant apps, or if they do they've spotted that I'm not going to be interested...

swears

preppy-kei
Myspace is shit, a complete fucking mess, slow, really ugly.

Facebook is far superior. Actually going out clubbing and stuff more as a result.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"My prediction for the future: Facebook+Google+Monster.com+amazon where you will be compelled to sacrifice all yr privacy if you want friends/jobs/products... "
One of my friends went for a job interview and was told that they had checked myspace and facebook for his site. Contrary to what you just predicted though they thought that it reflected well on him that out of all the candidates he was the only one with neither.
Think he still blew the interview mind...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When I finish studying and start looking for a proper job I think I'm going to remove my tags from photos of me and then delete my profile, it's just not worth the hassle of worrying about prospective employers snooping around.

continuum

smugpolice
You can alter privacy settings so potential employers won't be able to look at your profile.

Facebook is amazing - have got back in contact with people I haven't seen for years. Top site.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can alter privacy settings so potential employers won't be able to look at your profile.

Facebook is amazing - have got back in contact with people I haven't seen for years. Top site.

Yeah, but the prospective employer is going to think "how bad must these photos be if he doesn't want anyone to see them?". Plus I was thinking about what Rich said about how the company thought favourably of the guy who simply didn't have a FB account.

Yes, it's great for getting/staying in contact with people - even if I do leave, I will at least have people's contact details.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I can tell you what people from my school are up to these days - having kids and getting fat. I don't need facebook to tell me that.

Generally if I lose touch with people it's for a reason.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hmm, just got an email from paypal saying "paypal joins facebook" - which isn't a huge surprise given that article.

tryptych

waiting for a time
interesting article on facebooks neocon politics .

kind of confirms my suspicions about it being used for social engineering.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

On consideration, I don't think much of that article - who has to submit ID card details to facebook, for starters? Or consumer preferences, for that matter? Surely anyone who signs up to such sites is hopelessly naive if they think the data they enter isn't going to strip-mined, and if you buy things through it, then your consumer data too.

I notice they've printed a correction today:

"The following correction was printed in the Guardian's Corrections and clarifications column, Wednesday January 16 2008

The US intelligence community's enthusiasm for hi-tech innovation after 9/11 and the creation of In-Q-Tel, its venture capital fund, in 1999 were anachronistically linked in the article below. Since 9/11 happened in 2001 it could not have led to the setting up of In-Q-Tel two years earlier."

Thirdly, a close friend of mine had very unpleasent dealings with the editors of the Idler. They sounded like a right bunch of cunts.

crackerjack

Thirdly, a close friend of mine had very unpleasent dealings with the editors of the Idler. They sounded like a right bunch of cunts.

That's where he's from, knew i'd seen the name before. Someone gave me his How To Be Free book for my birthday. Pile of arse. Just another chancer working his op-ed angle.

continuum

smugpolice
I didn't think too much of that article either although it did have some interesting points.

Tom Hodgkinson also wrote a book called 'How To Be Idle' which is pretty good although I lost interest towards the end. Still recommend it though.

Lichen

It's always puzzled me how anyone purporting to be idle could get round to editing and publishing a magazine.

poetix

we murder to dissect
My techie elitist take on Facebook

http://codepoetics.com/poetix/?p=499

"Facebook is not what the internet should be. It is the internet redesigned by people who want information to be owned, and specifically owned by them. It is the internet enclosed, territorialized, packaged up and sold off. The internet for dummies..."

bassnation

the abyss
http://codepoetics.com/poetix/?p=499

"Facebook is not what the internet should be. It is the internet redesigned by people who want information to be owned, and specifically owned by them. It is the internet enclosed, territorialized, packaged up and sold off. The internet for dummies..."

little bit overplayed imo - its a private company, people are well aware of what it is. if you don't want to use it, then don't use it. i think not being able to delete your profile sucks, but they aren't any better or worse than google, ms, or yahoo. yahoo in particular - people have been tortured and imprisoned in china because of them - don't think facebook are even in the same league are they?