crime fiction

stelfox

Beast of Burden
by rights, scandinavia should turn out some cracking crime fiction — all that cold and darkness lots of the year – but i've never come across any of it. i've only really read peter hoeg. then again, don't they have a terribly low crime rate and just sit around drinking super-strength spirits and topping themselves when the nights draw in?

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I thought the Scandinavians had a good rep for crime fiction.

A well-adjusted, happily married detective without an alcohol problem finds a corpse and goes around asking people politely in a variety of languages (all spoken impeccably) who may have done it. The culprit is found and persuaded of the error of his ways and the detective and the culprit campaign to have the welfare state adjusted so that nothing of the sort ever happens again and everyone has impeccable 1970s furniture off of which to drink lovely pear cider.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I was going to cite Orson Welles' speech from The Third Man about dictatorships in relation to great culture...but then I thought about the brilliant crime novels of America and changed my mind. They gave us jazz and Hollywood too...so I'll forgive them Coca-Cola, Big Macs and Mariah Carey...maybe...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
alternatively:

a body is found in an immaculately furnished apartment. the man, a designer of minimalist furnishings named gudmund eriksson, has been shot through the head. a similar detail of well-adjusted multilingual policepersons turn up, led by inspector erik gudmundsson, a not even faintly craggy of face, smartly dressed 6'3" tall blond man in his early forties. a beam of light from the streetlamp outside cuts through the darkness and a wallclock quietly stikes noon. "three weeks without daylight," gudmundsson mutters under his breath, "when will it ever end..." then a voice calls out through the shadows. it's constable malmfrid rasmussdottir, a statuesque blond uniformed officer that gudmundsson has had his eye on ever since she started on the force. "detective inspector, i've found something," she says, handing him a crumpled piece of blood-spattered paper. gudmundsson reads it carefully and sighs. "another suicide," he mumbles darkly, though a luxuriant moustache that recalls the bold warrior spirit of the vikings. "let's go to my place, drink vodka and sauna... cue a further 187 pages of vaguely existential northern european softcore erotica.

Last edited:

RobJC

Check your weapon
by rights, scandinavia should turn out some cracking crime fiction — all that cold and darkness lots of the year – but i've never come across any of it. i've only really read peter hoeg. then again, don't they have a terribly low crime rate and just sit around drinking super-strength spirits and topping themselves when the nights draw in?

The Kurt Wallender books by Henning Mankell have that air of scandinavian desparation about them - good holiday reading.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...lias=stripbooks&field-keywords=henning+mankel

petergunn

plywood violin
Here speaketh the ultimate The Wire fan. I would like to read some Pelecanos...

Simenon is wicked. The only crime books I really read are by him, Derek Raymond, Iceberg Slim, Patricia Highsmith and Colin Dexter (who is a badman, and certainly does not dress like a girl or drink Snapple).

Anyone got any Scandanavian crime recs?

well, to repeat myself, if you like Iceberg Slim, try Chester Himes... any of the Coffin Ed Johnson and Gravedigger Jones detective books...

Scandanavian?

i am am kinda an American chauvenist on crime stuff (well, Chandler settled here, right?), but the closest i can think to Scandanavian is german... all the Turk books by Jacob Arjouni (german of turkish descent) are pretty great... he's a fantastic writer...

jenks

thread death
I'd second the Mankell which get more and more morose and gripping as the Wallander series develops.

I have also seen the Maj Sjöwall/Per Wahlöö books being praised by a number of people whose opinions I trust.

I recently finished teh Gilbert Adair The Case of Roger Murgatroyd - a very generous homage to Christie but with a modern element - very readable

crackerjack

Well Pelicanos and Raymond both proved excellent recommendations, thanks (tho at the risk of being churlish, GP isn't in the same league as Ellroy).

Was slightly wondering why the cover blurb made Raymond out to be so so dark, until I got to the last 30 pages, when it all went pitch black. Think I'm gonna work my way through these factory books now - do they need to be read in order?

crackerjack

This is essential reading

Peace interviewing Ellroy. Elllroy insists Crutchfield in the latest trilogy is a real people, and says he paid him. Not sure how much i believe that - I generaally reckon Ellroy's spining a yarn, even when talking about himself.

Anyone looking for good crime recs, I've recently read a couple by James Lee Burke and been blown away by him.

woops

is not like other people
Not a brit, but I really like the French writer Fred Vargas ...
I see Gilbert Adair has turned his hand to the genre - a man for whom the adjective 'playful' seems to have been invented for.

I was looking forward for a long time to checking out Fred Vargas, but when I eventually had a look, I was very disappointed - I blame the translation.

Gilbert Adair, the guy who translated George Perec's 'La Disparition', famously written without using the letter 'e', into English - without using the letter 'e'.

My favourite private eye novel and one of my favourite novels is 'Eye of the Beholder' by Marc Behm. It fucks about with genre conventions so much it's almost 'meta', but, in what feels like an obligatory remark, it works as a thriller too.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'd second the Mankell which get more and more morose and gripping as the Wallander series develops.

I have also seen the Maj Sjöwall/Per Wahlöö books being praised by a number of people whose opinions I trust.

Not a fan of Wallander*- not very well written, although the Brannagh TV series based on the books is very good.

The Martin Beck books (Sjowell/Wahloo) are excellent- classic police procedurals, where the police work hard and do a job. No Holmes style genius bizness going on (apart from once in about the 4th book), which is refreshing.

They also have a very dry sense of humour running through them, which can sometimes be almost LOL funny.

The only things that grate are the author's Marxist distaste of the Welfare State, which they seem to think is the cause of all of Sweden's problems and the crass sexualisation of women (it seems Sjowell was no Marxist feminist, although I suppose Wahloo could have written them- their working method was to take turns in writing a chapter each).

I'm on book 8 out of 10 and whilst not remarkable in terms of literary style, they are a joy to read.

The spines of the books I have end up spelling MARTIN BECK too and include extra bits in a book club style at the end. Which is an added bonus.

*Mankell shamelessly rips off Beck too

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Not a fan of Wallander*- not very well written, although the Brannagh TV series based on the books is very good.

The Martin Beck books (Sjowell/Wahloo) are excellent- classic police procedurals, where the police work hard and do a job. No Holmes style genius bizness going on (apart from once in about the 4th book), which is refreshing.

I will check them out - once I have dealt with Occupied City by Peace which I picked up today in paperback.

I suppose Peace is crime fiction of a sort except there is no pleasure in finding out whodunnit.

Also above Lee Buke - I read Tin Roof Blow Down set in Katrina hit New Orleans - very impressive - what should I read next?

jenks

thread death
I was looking forward for a long time to checking out Fred Vargas, but when I eventually had a look, I was very disappointed - I blame the translation.

Gilbert Adair, the guy who translated George Perec's 'La Disparition', famously written without using the letter 'e', into English - without using the letter 'e'.
[/I].

Sorry you didn't like her - I like the spookiness and her interest in rural France - the sense that Paris may well be modern but much of the rest of the country still clings to ideas that differ little from the Medieval (also she does ask you to suspend disbelief at times with plot stretches - i guess I am a forgiving reader!)

Big fan of Perec - Adair's translation is pretty spectacular, his fiction is a bit hit and miss as he seems to mainly work as an homage-ist - most of his fiction knowingly nods to other texts/writers - Thomas Mann and Agatha Christie to name but two.

crackerjack

Also above Lee Buke - I read Tin Roof Blow Down set in Katrina hit New Orleans - very impressive - what should I read next?

I was recommended Jolie Blon's Bounce - also set in NO, but pre-Katrina - and Bitteroot, amid the Montana militia. The protagonist is different in each, but essentially the same character. JBB is astoundingly creepy, hints of southern gothic.

The same source recommended voodoo River by Robert Crais too, so I've just started that. N'Awleans again!

embarrassed edit: when I said New Orleans, I actually meant Louisiana bayou in both cases

Last edited: