Simon78

I play a few MC vocal tracks when I DJ and I would play more if they were about.

The Badness one you get in the DVA - I'm Leaving pack on UK Funky is great.

This one is quality as well: Toddla T + Herve Ft Serocee - Shake It (Donaeo Mix)

Some grime MC's have asked to vocal some of my beats as well. I haven't heard what they are doing to them yet so not sure if I will like them but I'm pleased they are into the tunes enough to want to vocal them.

I'm working on a Spooky refix at the moment. I doubt it will be classed as UK Funky and I'm sure loads of people won't like it but its 130bpm and I mix it in when I'm playing Funky. I have got 2 MC's who heard me play a rough version the other day and want to vocal it.

I don't think you can control something and say what is and isn't allowed. I would have thought some producers outside the UK will get involved soon and they will probably have a fresh take on it as well.

mms

sometimes
i like this one, the exhuberant 80's vibe is lovely.
oh just saw ppl have mentioned it up thread.
in the morning fuzzy logik

Last edited:
I don't think you can control something and say what is and isn't allowed. I would have thought some producers outside the UK will get involved soon and they will probably have a fresh take on it as well.

A lot of sets (including about a quarter of that Mak10/M. Nasty set) are made up of readopted US producer's tunes. It'd be strange if we come full circle and get other producers emulating our emulations of other producers.

Simon78

I suspect most UKFunky MC tracks haven't learned enough from Wearing My Rolex - where the bars are truly tailored to the beat.

I lot of the tracks do sound like the vocal and beat are bodged together.

A load of MC's got on the Mic when I was mixing the other week and you could tell they were working out how to flow over the beats. The more they practise the better they will get.

Simon78

in the morning fuzzy logik

wow tthis is fantsatic i endorse this

I like this one as well

L.A Cartier - Call Me produced by Fuzzy Logik

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Blackdown

nexKeysound
can it not just be great? and then loads of other stuff can be new

ya, yeah i think you made this case upthread.

personally i like 'wow' as much as i like 'great.' because if stuff's just needs to be great, we'd all be an old school DJs/producers, and then music would grind to a halt!

gumdrops

it's catchy but playing devils advocate, it's hardly anything new is it?

WHAT?! sacriliege. best tune of the year from funky imo. its not 'new' but its def not stale or like its simply trying to rework old ingredients. i cant think of a fresher vocal ive heard as of late. plus, the vocals/songwritings brilliant, which is ultimately what vocal tunes are meant to be about. AND... its funky! reminds me of something IG culture might have done.

Last edited:

gumdrops

you could say that about in the air or several other tunes tho. tell me what it is makes me think of something from 1992 or those times. most of these vocal tunes have something slightly retro-futurey about them (a lot of funky doesnt really scream out 'NEW' imho - its just kind of a fresh consolidation of existing elements, sometimes it sounds genuinely new like apple or some of donaeos stuff but for every seasons theres funky flex which is great but not exactly groundbreaking). not a bad thing imo. and maybe to do with the more mature ravers that funky seems to attract. the standard for vocals i think should just be the songwriting. its nice to just have some 'good songs' like do you mind, in the air, etc etc. itd be nice if they had something 'new' going on too, but im not too fussed as long as it seems 'fresh'.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
ya, yeah i think you made this case upthread.

personally i like 'wow' as much as i like 'great.' because if stuff's just needs to be great, we'd all be an old school DJs/producers, and then music would grind to a halt!

yeh i wouldn't advocate it as a rule by any means, and for me there is still little experientially that compares to the moment that you hear something really new (so long as its 'great' lol).

but it seems to me that the demand for newness has just become another orthodoxy, and a bit of a burden generally... to me it shouldn't be a fixed assumption that to be great a tune it must be new, or that if something isn't new (and geared in its approach to being new) that it is necessarily less

primarily for me its about opening up room for debate, or more specifically for people to be able to respond to music and value it in ways that aren't fixed

possibly a totally incoherent perspective but yeh...

elgato

I just dont know
i like it, but come on it could be any vocal deep house tune from the last 15 years ... with an extra snare on the 4th.

really? if anything i would say it can be tied back into broken beat or freestyle or 2-step etc... which 'deep house' artists make tunes that sound like this?

are you talking solely about innovation in formal elements or in feeling and vibe also?

gumdrops

totally. it sounds like sugarush beat company produced by IG culture or bugz or someone. thats what makes it so good. its like funky (the adjective) broken funky (the genre) :) i dont know any deep house tunes like that one. and if the 4th snare *is* the only thing diff, that 4th snare still makes a pretty dramatic diff.