elgato

I just dont know
so, if we can 'go macro' for a minute, where - or when - do the funky and bassline evangelists see a role for mcs emerging? if dubstep can be accused (persuasively, to a point) of being a reductive permutation of its origins, of devoicing black/street music, what role is there for a mic controller in either funky or bassline?

but there is just as strong a precedent or tradition to have mic men in this background roll. hardcore, jungle, garage - mcs were hosts or toasters. house (which surely is or at least has been both black and street music) has always had a totally different 'voice'. given all of the chat around funky about it being about people wanting to 'rave', i've always found the idea that 'raving' can be achieved in loafers and crisp garments quite curious, but the use of the word in this context might even be seen to relate directly to the role of the mc, and their subservience to the tracks and the dance... so i dunno, it will be interesting to see how things go in this regard... i would imagine a considerable degree of resistance amongst funky ravers to mcs coming centre stage again at raves though

but also there is the increasing probability of grime producers/mcs/crews getting into funky, drawing on it in their own productions and spitting on them, as detached from the funky scene's dances

Ach!

Turd on the Run
you know who that is innit?

Course, that's why I posted! His mixes on the site are real good. You feelin' funky?

You can download the Climate Change EP as WAV files from the junodownload site, so I guess there might not be vinyl. WAV's cool with me!

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
yeh wavs are certainly not to be sniffed at! but i would always prefer vinyl, especially when there are that number of sick tracks on there.

mos dan

fact music
but there is just as strong a precedent or tradition to have mic men in this background roll. hardcore, jungle, garage - mcs were hosts or toasters. house (which surely is or at least has been both black and street music) has always had a totally different 'voice'.

sure, you're right. i just haven't heard any of the bars slackk refers to, so that's news to me - and the reason i asked in the first place. i mean who here has actually been to a funky 'rave'? not just marcus at a shoosh event or similar (who was great), but a full funky line-up.

i would imagine a considerable degree of resistance amongst funky ravers to mcs coming centre stage again at raves though

yeah i expect so. if we take the (not watertight) idea that these scenes develop cyclically, we're clearly not at the 2001/2 moment yet. i say this with a mind-blowingly good nasty crew 2001 set on my headphones.

sure, you're right. i just haven't heard any of the bars slackk refers to, so that's news to me - and the reason i asked in the first place. i mean who here has actually been to a funky 'rave'? not just marcus at a shoosh event or similar (who was great), but a full funky line-up.

I'm going to Persona this sunday, first time I've been to anything like this.
The CD pack I posted earlier (from Persona, funnily enough- the reason I'm going, actually) is a good example of what I'm talking about Dan. Hosting, but there's bars, some random rave chat etc.

It's a sick couple of hours to be honest.

mos dan

fact music
The CD pack I posted earlier (from Persona, funnily enough- the reason I'm going, actually) is a good example of what I'm talking about Dan. Hosting, but there's bars, some random rave chat etc.

safe i hadn't clocked that being posted, on the dl now, cheers.

luka

havent made my mind up yet ach! every time i try to download a set from here it never works. the files are corrupt. i cant just switch on the radio anymore.

if youre going to draw historical parrallels i'd say garage when it was still more a north london scene. london underground/freek, before east london made it good. most of north london has always been too pretentious. 1995 era in other words.

elgato

I just dont know

ah, sorry, i didnt see the context

i need to get to a proper rave no doubt about it, only last week did i fully grasp what a fool i am being by not having made this happen yet

Ach!

Turd on the Run

Just listened to that again, there are some great tracks, and the whole event just seems to exude energe.

straight

wings cru
anyone stay round for marcus nastys set at the egg? we all got bored of grumpy rude boys staring us out for daring to be homos dancing and having fun on our birthdays. and taking offence at them riffling through our girlfriends handbags. wake up call to why why i listen to urban music at home.

Decorum Vol 2- Supa D B2B Pioneer, Spidey G, Desi on Bongos
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cel3ue

Big set, some old garage chords creeping through in a few places, then it goes dark tribal midpoint. If anyone can ID track 14, yr chest to be honest.
Getting a bit bored of Apple's constant Mr Bean sound though, stop reversioning it and use a different sample please.