Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Jeeezus Christ, the ILX funky may be a very useful resource, but it has some of the most sneery, passive-agressive arseholes I've ever encountered amongst its regular posters. I know it's pointless/lame/weird me sitting here and indirecting about it, but it's seriously been driving me up the wall.

On a more positive not, Fis-T seems to have uploaded a bunch of new productions to his Soundcloud. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet though.

rubberdingyrapids

ilx has too many gigantic egos. all battling it out to see who can be the snarkiest/most dismissive/most authoritative/most smugly academic. but then thats the internet in general innit.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Gotta big up the Numbers guys for playing Meltdown and Sugar Rush on their Rinse show, in amongst loads of other good tunes. MA1 on now.

Edit: this may be a bit of an obscure question, but in the ad for Yellow that Rinse always play, does anyone know the name of the second tune used on it?

Last edited:

luka

ilx posters know much more about music than people here, infinitely more, and they're often wittier but at the same time they are a total bunch of try-hard cunts.

tom lea

Yeah its T Williams - Hard Cash. Check In The Deep by him as well, very moody.
it's gonna be deep tek 004, on vinyl as well. hard cash/in the deep/chop then screw

chop then screw is absolutely amazing, sinden and a few others have been playing it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
like they'd know about useful resources

― لوووووووووووووووووووول (lex pretend), Saturday, 31 July 2010 10:15 (Yesterday)

OOF

b-409558-colour_Handbags.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is there an extended history to this inter-forum rivalry?

I love a good inter-forum rivalry, the one between DNBA and DOA has kept me amused for years and years.

Leo

ilx posters know much more about music than people here, infinitely more, and they're often wittier but at the same time they are a total bunch of try-hard cunts.

bullshit (except for that last part).

Tim F

All true.

In reality the kinds of arguments had on the ILX thread are pretty similar to the kinds of arguments had here. People are just less polite.

Lex is kinda kneejerk and unreasoning in his hatred of dissensus but I'm pretty sure he's friends with a bunch of people who post on this thread.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Well I already kind of regret making that post about ILX, as you might imagine. All I can say in my defence is that I don't really know or care a great deal about whatever the history is between ILX and Dissensus, and wasn't posting just for the sake of having a go; what I said was a genuine expression of frustration that had been building up for quite a while.
The fact that what frustrates me comes from people who can simultaneously be very knowledgeable and witty and eloquent about music is a part of why I find it so particularly annoying. Obviously I don't include all ILX regulars in this (it should go without saying that I think Tim is one of the good guys, also Matt DC seems sound and rtc makes a lot of interesting, enthusiastic points even if I sometimes can't follow his drift and think he takes too many pointless popshots at people). And also the sort of thing that winds me up clearly extends beyond that board, though in my experience it is a particularly obvious and obnoxious example of it.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I think what winds me up so much about a few of the folks on the could be summed up by two main points (though they are prob two sides of the same coin): (a) the way they make listening to, discussing and evaluating music all about them, making each new kind of music just the next little chapter in their self-enclosed narrative of development as a music listener and (b) their extreme sense of entitlement, the way they expect all music to come to them and fit perfectly with their preformed ideal categories before it is worthy of any engagement at all.
In fairness, I suppose I ought to bear in mind that a fair few of them are actually professional music critics/journalists and that cynical, weary attitudes like that are liable to come with the territory if you've been involved in the music industry for a long time.
Having said all this I am now going to go back to concentrating on the positives as usual, because I find that more productive. I guess it's a lesson never to take anything on internet message-boards too seriously (though I should point out that I never think about these things when I'm offline anyway).

Tim F

FWIW Andy I think your frustration derives from the fact that you have a really open-minded and curious approach to new music, more so than most people.

It's very difficult for most people to separate their own aesthetic preferences from "how the music works" such that they can see the relationship between the two rather than just messily conflating them.

This includes music critics, many of whom get around the problem by just conducting the conflation as charismatically as possible.

(I make it sound like i've transcended the problem, obv I haven't either, it's pretty much a constant)

luka

if theyre so much more knowledgeable, what you doing posting here then? eh? :p

becasue a) theyre a bunch of snarky cunts.
b) a lot of the people know so much more than me theres no point me posting anything.
c)they're a sad bunch. i remember someone who wouldnt appreciate me saying their name telling me he'd gone to meet a bunch of them once about 10 years ago and tehy were a bunch of fat sexless scurf ridden awkward weirdos with greay hair and a waxy pallor who avoided eye contact or speaking above an embarressed mumble.
the oly thing dissensus knows more about is london centric things, grime, dubstep, road rap, jungle...
if you compare a hiphop or r&b thread from there to here you'll see the difference in knowledge is enormous.