Benny Bunter

Undecided about the new Lil Silva stuff so far, maybe it will grow on me.

Cheers for the heads up on those free DJ Trizzy tunes though, very nice.

Never Say Bye is the Screama tune that I really want to get my mitts on.

gumdrops

that silva tune is good/cool/weird. its sort of there with tunes like scratchas more experimental stuff. sounds like hes following roska into the more post dubstep side of things. not his best imo tho - night skanker is better!

BareBones

wheezy
i dunno, it's a lot ruffer than the stuff roska makes isn't it. it doesn't really sound like anyone else around at the moment that i can think of right now... i'm with alex on this one - proper screwface business! i want more tunes like this.

alex

Do not read this.
yea, no hooks is okay, but just sounds like any funky producer could of made it, wheras that other track, the snares, so much flange!! and on a system, wow..

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah I'm not sure yet what I make of Cheese and Bun, it def grabs your attention though. Think it's supposed to be out on the 28th along with his tune with Sampha and other bits.
Roska's remix of Spend 'Is Dough is on itunes now btw.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Re: Screama, I tried contacting via his facebook a couple of weeks ago and the tunes you are talking about plus his other big ones like Fuel and I Can't Lose are still on dubplate sales only. I still can't quite justify buying that way myself, but maybe other people here would if they're desperate for the tunes. Not sure how good craic it would be to get into the specific prices on here, but let's just say his dubs are a little more reasonably priced than some others. Here's the link to his facebook profile anyway, you can message him from there without having to go through adding him etc:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000376048631

Benny Bunter

That cheese and bun tune sounds in a similar vein to this other recent Lil Silva remix. All 808s and flange. Still not sure wht to make of it tbh, its a bloody racket!

alex

Do not read this.
that is fucking DEEP!

edit* kind of reminds me of a tune by Geeman called Computer Jackin on the Rubber Bands release, except more mental, i love it

edit** at benny & ory thanks for the links to those tracks

Last edited:

gumdrops

lol that is nuts. i wonder what hes been listening to. thats better than cheese and bun. xpost, yeah his other tracks are more typically funky (though not a bad thing in this case) though when you hear a silva tune, you know its him imo. these new tunes are interesting and its cool that hes branching out and doing more experimental funky but i dont want him to get too post-dubsteppy. though i can see why he would want to.

Benny Bunter

Its certainly very uncompromising. The only thing I could compare it to in terms of sheer extremity and bizarreness is this recent Emvee remix:
Fucking mentalist tune! The closest Funky has come to sounding like old ardkore to me, I'm sure it must be a nod to Scientist's 'The Bee'.

Also, Ill Blu's recent stuff is pretty extreme. Be interesting to see who else pursues these directions this year.

gumdrops

thing about cheese and bun is first time i heard it i thought it was kinda nuts too but now i hear it and it sounds a bit rigid and well, dubsteppy. if you told me it was by loefah or someone, i would prob have believed you. as a fan, i just like silva doing energetic grimier/funky stuff. im being selfish and teenagery basically. that remix is amazing though. im gonna buy it. i dont know what to compare it to, a less demonic version of gabba lol? ill blus new stuff seems more advanced, they seem to be getting slicker as producers (and almost violent in terms of the actual content).

that geeeman track is good too actually. thanks for posting that. makes me think of video clash. like the emvee one a lot.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Has anyone got a link to Ill Blu's new (released/unreleased) stuff?, would love to hear it after gumdrop's description. All I've been listening to recently is Dance Mania & loads of broken techno

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
thanks, d/l'ing now, I think I prefer the straight rhythmic stuff from them, well to that track anyway, really enjoyed their Hyperdub release, although it had been kaned by scratcha before it dropped it's still one of my favourite funky releases kode has picked up

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i need an hour long mix of nothing but big uk funky anthems to listen to whenever i want.

i'd do it myself but my decks are fucked. :mad:

gumdrops

the hyperdub stuff was diff to the newer stuff. they seem to be doing the big synth thing like every one else now. theyre getting very aggressive too (i like warpspeed but jeeeeesus). its *almost* like funky with wobble values. i think i might start a blog so i can write/constructively moan about this stuff.