Ory

warp drive
yeah champion's tunes are pretty sparse.

a better example would be some of ill blu's recent productions (e.g. "Tick Tock"). there was a discussion on ILX about how they're almost doing their own take on wobble dubstep.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ill Blu don't just pound out the same riff again and again though, do they? There's always loads of little touches in their music... But yeah, at the same time they're very 'maximal' producers.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ill Blu don't just pound out the same riff again and again though, do they? There's always loads of little touches in their music...

This seems like a key point to me. There are def a few heavy, headstrong kind of tunes around right now but I'm going to stick my head out and say that at the moment they kind of work for me. Toilet Blocker by Eastwood and Bass Slave by Naughty Raver are both great I reckon, as are the Lil Silva remix of Merel and Emvee's remix of The Wasp by Dopefish. In terms of Ill Blu I kinda hate that Alrite Mate tune but like some of there other new ones like Dirty Monkey and Monsta. I think the key is that a lot of them do still have those little flourishes in the arrangement which keep it fresh, and there's still a fair amount of colour to the sound. Also just how jagged and restless they are beat-wise, this doesn't so much 'balance out' the aggression as give it fresh impact.
One thing that does pee me off though is that 4-bar/8-bar 'build-up noise' before a drop that quite a few producers have been using, it sounds so naff.

Edit: Another reason why some of these tunes are great is coz they have HOOVER.....

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

One thing that does pee me off though is that 4-bar/8-bar 'build-up noise' before a drop that quite a few producers have been using, it sounds so naff.

know what you're saying but this has always been a staple technique for creating hype across the board in dance music. Its always a winner in the right hands (like Ill blu obv).

Whats nice about funky is sets like that last Murdz 86 one (or an on-form Marcus Nasty with MCs) where the OTT maximalist tunes are balanced out with bone-dry tribal rollers and vocal tunes. I've enjoyed Ill blu's recent shows but they can be a bit much at times. I prefer hearing their tunes mixed into a more varied set.

edit: I suppose I'll find out for sure pretty soon. Ill Blu are playing in Newcastle this weekend!

gumdrops

checking out the 20th april marcus set based on recomendations from ilx. its pretty sick. last hour seems much more like what you expect from marcus than the more dutch house sounding stuff he seems to be into.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Yeah that show was a banger, some of the carry-on in the studio was properly jokes at times too, Ranking causing a lot of mischief. Like the dual mic action that him and Shantie have going on these days.
Almost forgot about that Under The Influence remix megamix package coming out. So many mixes I've not quite made my mind up what the best ones are yet, but def some good'uns. No send though, but after this release I'd be happy never to hear that 'da-da-da' vocal sample used again.
Also nice to see that Spooky's finally put out a few of his funky bits, cheers for the link Wise. Napoleon Brandy is the one. :D

Benny Bunter

^ Yeah that show was a banger, some of the carry-on in the studio was properly jokes at times too, Ranking causing a lot of mischief. D

Great show. Been enjoying the slewing of Marcus' skinny legs on twitter:

MCShantie Shant Man Lyric

The other day I left my door keys on the side table in the passage. @MARCUSNASTY stuck he's leg through my letterbox and toe grabed dem lol

rrrivero

No send though, but after this release I'd be happy never to hear that 'da-da-da' vocal sample used again
yes :D Was thinking the exact same thing. The remixes are nice but none of them have that hypnotic percussion that really does the trick for me in the original. Out of the remixes, I think Carnao's and Mista Bee's are my favourites.

Oh yeah and them spooky funky bits were great. Also thanks for the heads up on Mr. Tickle, bought that last night and have been thoroughly enjoying the first two tracks.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Madfingers sounding good right now on http://www.feelingmandy.fm/

could be a station to watch...

edit: Their thing seems to be using loads of reverb and delay FX on the mixer, not something you hear too often with this sort of stuff.

Last edited: