mos dan

fact music
Almost as charming/funny as the time at Eskimo Dance when the DJ asked "everyone who's got less than 5 GCSEs" to put their hands up in the air.

that should be "everyone who's got fewer than five GCSEs" ;) *rolls eyes at self*

don't think fwd @ pp sets are ever recorded mate, sorry!

4linehaiku

Repetitive
What do they do with the recordings then?
Archive them to cassette and then wallow in all the unspooled tape like VIP hamsters?

mos dan

fact music
FWD>> sets at PP are always recorded but never leaked.

by 'leaked' you mean 'shared'? just to throw in my own loaded terminology ;)

so sarah is building up a colossal archive of every set every played there... for any particular purpose? future release perhaps?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Possibly holding out for the Blu-ray pack.

Final thought: put them all online, but only allow them to be downloaded at 0.01kb/s. It's such a brilliant plan, I can't believe it hasn't occurred to them before...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that should be "everyone who's got fewer than five GCSEs" ;) *rolls eyes at self*

don't think fwd @ pp sets are ever recorded mate, sorry!

:p Shit, busted by the grammar police. It's the kind of thing I'd usually point out!

That's a pity, even more so in light of the revelations since.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i have no idea. i personally dont want our fwd sets online because it means you can play all your upfront dubs in fwd which is the point of the club, and also maintain some exclusivity for the live experience, rather than having them rinsed out online subsequently. i assume other djs feel the same, i know many who do.

online sets are a good way to promote music but it also ruins the element of surprise. it's great to see everyone wetting themself about seeing Marcus NASTY last night, and yeah i loved it and yeah it was great on that system, but dont you think the element of surprise was missing? it was like yellowtail - tick - lil silva - tick - pulse x refix - tick...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh, and for those who haven't seen the other thread on this - it may be old news now, but check Malice's remix of 'My Joy' if you have any interest at all in house music. It has been described elsewhere as "possibly the best house record ever made", and that's only slight hyperbole.

mos dan

fact music
online sets are a good way to promote music but it also ruins the element of surprise. it's great to see everyone wetting themself about seeing Marcus NASTY last night, and yeah i loved it and yeah it was great on that system, but dont you think the element of surprise was missing? it was like yellowtail - tick - lil silva - tick - pulse x refix - tick...

the only thing surprising last night was to go to fwd and for once hear only one set that i felt compelled to walk out on. the dj's name started with 'Skr', to give you a clue.

but yeah, agree about the sacrosanct nature of the live experience: the mala principle, you could call it.

viktorvaughn

Oh, and for those who haven't seen the other thread on this - it may be old news now, but check Malice's remix of 'My Joy' if you have any interest at all in house music. It has been described elsewhere as "possibly the best house record ever made", and that's only slight hyperbole.

Where is this mate?

Edit - found it.

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
i have no idea. i personally dont want our fwd sets online because it means you can play all your upfront dubs in fwd which is the point of the club, and also maintain some exclusivity for the live experience, rather than having them rinsed out online subsequently. i assume other djs feel the same, i know many who do.

Oh definitely, that's totally understandable, and exactly how club experiences should be really. Intangible, fleeting etc etc. The 'Mala principle' as Mos Dan nicely puts it.
I'm actually wondering why they record them, not why they don't release/leak them (depending on exactly which way you would like to load your phrasing). I guess it probably is as simple and pragmatic as CD packs, or at least the possibility thereof.

Blackdown re: lack of suprise in Marcus Nasty's set. Is there enough Funky about to play regular radio shows and then a set of surprises? I'm not sure about that one, and even if so would FWD be the place to unveil all your latest hottest dubs? It's not a funky night, most people don't really know the scene = anthem bash. Certainly a phenomenon I've experienced countless times attending nights outside the Dubstep heartlands. Just a thought.

viktorvaughn

One of the most exciting things for me in Funky is the prospect of Jammer getting into Funky. There is a Jammer track in the Marcus set from last Wednesday (I think - Rankin says 'sounds like Jammer...smells like Jammer' over it) which is really good - bit of a grower, doesn't grab you at first but has these wicked rolling martial drums in it.

He said he was making an album in that review in Fact mag I think it was.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That Lil Silva set off youtube is great. Any links to recent funky sets? I expect I can find them in here if there are...

I'd love to hear the Martyn set from February at FWD but actually now that the idea of keeping things special has been raised, I do wonder if hearing it again would ruin the magic of the memory of it for me.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Marcus was sick last night...definitely the highlight for me of a very strong line up. I was surprised by the lack of vocal tunes, but seeing as I think the vocal tunes in London funky are mostly not up to much (the US guys do it so much better), that was all for the better. He was just pure rollidge, love all the tuned percussion/bassline combos, proper forgemasters/LFO vibes, and his cut and paste DJ style is really appropriate and good fun.

I haven't heard many of his sets as have fallen off following rinse sets a little over the last few weeks, so most of it was really fresh for me...plus the impact of hearing it on any system, let alone PP, was massive.

Have to say the rolling sublow vibe in Marcus's set really threw the +6 aggyness of Skream in to poor relief, for me.

continuum

smugpolice

bit elitist though. Why is this music not released really? Brand development or something?
This music relies on 'leakers'. The whole thing started due to home taping. Lots of schizo behaviour with all this preciousness. All the big sellers in music have their music copied and spread. I love it when my mixes are spread by 'leakers'. More people get to hear it. I prefer people who have no money to listen to my music.

optimum

Poochie
Marcus Nasty killed it, I was actually looking fwd to hearing all the 'known' tunes and VIPs on the pp soundsystem. Was great to actually DANCE at fwd lol. Plus big up on his Ralph tank top ;)

I thought the first 20mins of Skream was really good...

Re:recorded sets, they used to put some of the sets on the podcast from what I remember...