hint

party record with a siren
i take your point and i can see the benefits of keeping things underground, however i do think rec shops are late in showing initiative. shifting records is a good thing afterall.

Not really about being "underground", quite the opposite in fact.

If anything, it means the records might sell less because they'd be moved a step away from similar records that aren't considered "UK Funky".

nochexxx

harco pronting
Not really about being "underground", quite the opposite in fact.

If anything, it means the records might sell less because they'd be moved a step away from similar records that aren't considered "UK Funky".

unfortunately the outcome of genrefication is inevitable and perhaps i'm jumping the gun somewhat.

but whilst i do understand and appreciate your stance i can't help but feel for those skimming the surface. without any pointers towards both uk funky and non uk funky sounding records,' i feel a lot of music inevitably gets buried, especially if you live outside the london bubble.

more indicators is a positive thing imo.

anyway isn't it the job of the dj or self appointed hipsters to recognise and plug records, which have the ability to cross over and eventually get seen in funky playlists.

hint

more indicators is a positive thing imo.

anyway isn't it the job of the dj or self appointed hipsters to recognise and plug records, which have the ability to cross over and eventually get seen in funky playlists.

If the only real defining characteristic of a UK Funky record seems to be that "Marcus / Mac10 / Footloose play it" you see how shaky the definition is to begin with. Besides, if you're waiting for the DJs to tell you which tracks to check, it doesn't matter what section they're in once you find out the names and can search for them.

To illustrate my point, in Juno:

Perempay & Dee - Buss It SOLD OUT
N.B. Funky - Riddim Box SOLD OUT
DJ Naughty - Quicktime EP SOLD OUT
Roska - Elevated Levels & Climate Change EPs SOLD OUT
and so on...

It's not like this stuff is sitting around, unsold and undiscovered through lack of signposts.

I think that these artists and labels will come out stronger if they're encouraged to be ambitious and "compete" in amongst other interesting House records from all around the world.

nochexxx

harco pronting
If the only real defining characteristic of a UK Funky record seems to be that "Marcus / Mac10 / Footloose play it" you see how shaky the definition is to begin with.

I think the socca / eski house elements characterises the sound enough to warrant it’s own plastic divider.

Besides, if you're waiting for the DJs to tell you which tracks to check, it doesn't matter what section they're in once you find out the names and can search for them.

Exactly, so why not have a funky section?

If I were a record store owner I’d be taking initative and singing it’s praises!

To illustrate my point, in Juno:

Perempay & Dee - Buss It SOLD OUT
N.B. Funky - Riddim Box SOLD OUT
DJ Naughty - Quicktime EP SOLD OUT
Roska - Elevated Levels & Climate Change EPs SOLD OUT
and so on...

It's not like this stuff is sitting around, unsold and undiscovered through lack of signposts.

Earlier in this thread I was complaining about quick records are selling out. But don’t you think this has more to do with how little is pressed rather than how of people are buying them? tbh i can’t claim to know but i’m assuming this is the case.

I guess what I’ve been trying to say is that I’d like to see uk funky open up beyond London, so when a record like apple's siegalizer hits the shop there's enough to go round elsewhere.

I think that these artists and labels will come out stronger if they're encouraged to be ambitious and "compete" in amongst other interesting House records from all around the world.

agreed

hint

I think the socca / eski house elements characterises the sound enough to warrant it’s own plastic divider.

I disagree here. I haven't heard much yet on any UK Funky tracks that hasn't already existed in House music. Most of them immediately make me think of older tracks that I already own. That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Just because it's good, doesn't mean it's different. I think sometimes people who follow these kinds of music are too eager to find something different rather than simply find something good.

Earlier in this thread I was complaining about quick records are selling out. But don’t you think this has more to do with how little is pressed rather than how of people are buying them? tbh i can’t claim to know but i’m assuming this is the case.

I can't say for sure either, but I think you can still buy most of those release from Uptown for example. So perhaps the amounts being pressed up aren't the problem.

I guess what I’ve been trying to say is that I’d like to see uk funky open up beyond London, so when a record like apple's siegalizer hits the shop there's enough to go round elsewhere.

Agreed, but I don't think that putting these tracks in their own section is the way to do this. I think it might even have the opposite effect.

boomnoise

♫
rsvp here to get on the concessions list!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=45846498177

also am thinking possible 'pregame' in cross kings pub on york way. it's very indie but there aren't really any other options (also i had my book launch there so have a soft spot for it)

i've been trying to sort out a place for a preslug link up and kings cross really is bereft of decent pubs so i'm happy to call it

we'll learn the indie kids with our subbass and snares.

what time you saying dan?

mos dan

fact music
i've been trying to sort out a place for a preslug link up and kings cross really is bereft of decent pubs so i'm happy to call it

we'll learn the indie kids with our subbass and snares.

what time you saying dan?

shall we say 9? all dissensus massive and cru? i would suggest earlier but knowing myself i'll take a while to get sorted and get over there.

zhao

there are no accidents
sorry to voice such a pedestrian concern here but anyone had problems with mp3s from ukfunky.com? i recently got some fucked up clipping audio and mono files from them and they dont answer myspace message?

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
kode 9 was great last night, was anyone there? he started off with some unbelievable sounding house tunes with these massive droney synths, no idea what they were but i'm thinking perhaps his own productions? he also played that dj gregory tune that's on the uptown bootleg again (can't remember the name of it), and i don't know what tune it was that he was mixing into lighter - skanker (which sounded really heavy on a loud system) but it was wicked. Digidesign into poison dart was the one though!
very young crowd too, i felt old, and i'm not even that old.

tom lea

12 til 3 was amazing- kode9, jackmaster, bk bk and lvis all smashed it. first half of kode's set was great- i wasn't in the room for most of the second half but it sounded a lot like his recent fwd one - digidesign, kaliko/aquafresh (i always mix them two up), poision dart, thuggish ruggish etc. amazing vibes on the floor.

i wasn't feeling d malice to be honest- dunno if i was just tired at that point, but he didn't do it for me. mac 10 was a lot better and harder, but i bailed half way thru cuz i was crashing. but still, where else do you get three plus hours as good and varied as that in london?

p.s. big up slackk- pleasure to meet you bruv. & everyone who came down etc.