Tim F

I do remember seeing Zed Bias play live in 2002 and thinking that some of his more broken beat stuff sounded amazing in that context (and again something of a precursor for funky), but the records themselves rarely moved me the same way.

Sadly that night he spent a lot of time playing tedious Jammin/DJ Hype breakbeat garage material.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
you were "never into the Horsepower Productions/Skream/Benga/Hatcha material from that time," dont rate zed's two albums or the dubstep allstars vol 1 CD. added to the fact you dont think there are any good records from the 04-06 dmz/loefah/9 era...

save yourself time and energy and face it tim you don't like dubstep!!!! hahaha ;)

anyway tbh going back to cooly g, half of the things you complain about are problems with the uk media institutions. yet despite this, personally i think you could channel your frustration into more positive channels: start a label, pitch the producers of your choice to pitchfork or OMM, blog more and regularly about the scenes key players...

gumdrops

i said id like them to version it as opposed to there just being an 'allstar' remix. not that rubi dan wasnt a 'proper' dancehall artist.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
And Landslide in truth were only really good for one track, which if I recall came out in 2000 as well.

post-5758-1225601204.gif

Tim F

Alright two tracks - "Hear My People" and the remix of "Round The Corner". But Drum & Bossa was not an exciting album.

But I think their relationship with garage was very tangential anyway, even more so than say Zinc or the Stanton Warriors (whose "Right Here" was probably a better version of the Landslide sound than any Landslide I've heard).

"half of the things you complain about are problems with the uk media institutions"

Yes, I've been at pains the entire time to say that this is what I'm complaining about. Not Cooly G herself at all. She's very good!

Tim F

Interestingly T-Power also did a pretty amazing vocal track in that vein in I think late 2000. I think it was called "Runnin".

At the time I expected a lot of former junglists to jump on that kind of sound.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Alright two tracks - "Hear My People" and the remix of "Round The Corner". But Drum & Bossa was not an exciting album.

Drum & Bossa predates any dubstep, it's his take on jungle, and i agree it's not that strong. but Incurable Voices and Its Not Over (4x4 Mix) are sick, the latter of which is like a speed garage anthem. Return of Forever remix and Betcha' Did (Landslide Dub) are pretty cool too.

i could see funky DJs playing something like Betcha' Did remix now you know, and you'd probably love it ;)

But I think their relationship with garage was very tangential anyway, even more so than say Zinc or the Stanton Warriors.

EZ - who ran this era - was playing Landslide and Zinc tracks, it *was* garage, whatever EZ played in 2000 was garage, be it Azzido da bass, zinc, todd edwards or so solid.