alex

Do not read this.
who has heard Julio Bashmores mix of Mosca's "square #1". It's good, not better than the orig, but its a grower

alex

Do not read this.
Agreed :D 'Stormdrum' is great!

Stimming is always good for a little wonkiness, 'Funkworm' is a monster if dropped right & the remix of 'Keep On' is still a massive favourite of mine.

will have to check those, thanks! :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
He's difficult to link to - his myspace is useless and he seems only to have released "Liberty/The Sound" so far. I'll try to post a link to Maxwell D on "Liberty". "The Sound" is on Marcus Nasty's Rinse 10.

He has about 4 other tracks incl. "Dream" and some others whose names I don't know on THAT seminal Mak10/Shantie set.

"Dream" is the one that goes (surprise!) "DREAM!!!!" followed by massive bass stabs and what sounds like a drum machine having an epileptic fit. Generally speaking the sound is roughly in Lil' Silva territory but it's kinda like the (early) Dom & Roland to Lil' Silva's Ed Rush.

There's some uncertainty as to whether he alone is responsible for the productions or in cahoots with DJ Smoovie T - together they're called "Funk Factory". Their tracks usually start with a sample of a voice saying "Now Hear Dis (Hear Dis Hear Dis)" but it always sounds to me like "Whoiddit? (iddit? iddit?)".

Also there was an amazing Scotty D refix of Armand Van Helden's "Mother Earth" (female vocal "Destruction keeps happening!") on the Marcus vs Mak 10 Rinse set from last year. I've not heard it since, though I've heard a very similar track which just samples the "Keeps happening!" Not sure if this is them but it probably is.

chop the MP3s you have and up the audio to myspace?

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
who has heard Julio Bashmores mix of Mosca's "square #1". It's good, not better than the orig, but its a grower

Is it up on any sets yet? Well keen to hear this..
There's a very tidy JB remix of Buraka Som Sistema on the way too

Ach!

Turd on the Run
He's difficult to link to - his myspace is useless and he seems only to have released "Liberty/The Sound" so far. I'll try to post a link to Maxwell D on "Liberty". "The Sound" is on Marcus Nasty's Rinse 10.

He has about 4 other tracks incl. "Dream" and some others whose names I don't know on THAT seminal Mak10/Shantie set.

"Dream" is the one that goes (surprise!) "DREAM!!!!" followed by massive bass stabs and what sounds like a drum machine having an epileptic fit. Generally speaking the sound is roughly in Lil' Silva territory but it's kinda like the (early) Dom & Roland to Lil' Silva's Ed Rush.

There's some uncertainty as to whether he alone is responsible for the productions or in cahoots with DJ Smoovie T - together they're called "Funk Factory". Their tracks usually start with a sample of a voice saying "Now Hear Dis (Hear Dis Hear Dis)" but it always sounds to me like "Whoiddit? (iddit? iddit?)".

Also there was an amazing Scotty D refix of Armand Van Helden's "Mother Earth" (female vocal "Destruction keeps happening!") on the Marcus vs Mak 10 Rinse set from last year. I've not heard it since, though I've heard a very similar track which just samples the "Keeps happening!" Not sure if this is them but it probably is.

Scotty D is incredible. I think you might have missed this track Powerhouse which has been available for a good while on mp3. It's a bit short, and I had to use mp3gain to boost the volume up, but it's an exquisite little roller.

Tim F

I liked that piece sjc. A good cross-section of people to interview too.

Rankin worrying about MCs jumping on funky is self-interested but i'm sympathetic anyway: MCs like him occupy a curious precarious position in that they're most likely to prosper in an environment where the MC is considered secondary to the music, which makes them good candidates for seeing the music in perspective.

Listening to Rankin' I always get the impression that a) he likes the female vocal anthems more than anything, and b) the harder instrumental tracks he does like are ones that are a bit nuanced so he can frame his bars around the bits he enjoys. e.g. he always stops rapping when Madd.One's "Tribal Conga" plays in order to pay respect to the fragile little keyboard hook on it.

viktorvaughn

That 100% Roska thing recently is addictive. I keep putting it on when I get home. I think he has a nice radio voice too.

Fingaprint has the most relaxing radio dj voice going I think, very nice.

nomos

Administrator
"Question - What's your favourite club/party"

"Donaeo - I'm not really a rave person"

haha. gonna party hard...
"i like girls and i like raves, especially girls that like to go rave" - bounce

lol... we all get older though. after 30 i've had trouble staying awake until the end of my own sets nevermind someone else's :eek: