mms

sometimes
Is it this one? Its the best remix he has done recently.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yeah that is proper, few tunes at the moment seem to have that vibe of major lazer ' pon de floor' slippy slidy and punched in human sounding atonal lines.

Tim F

Also, yes, baltimore is the resemblance that was escaping me.

That particular beat does appear in UK Funky tunes actually but almost always buried under a latticework of percussion, what distinguishes Bok Bok and similar tunes is how the beat becomes the central rhythmic structure.

Simon78

yeah that is proper, few tunes at the moment seem to have that vibe of major lazer ' pon de floor' slippy slidy and punched in human sounding atonal lines.

Scratcha has played that the last few times I have seen him, it sounded really good at Chockablock the other week. He played that Night Hunter tune and the Roska remix as well, quality set actually.

This is from Night Slugs
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Elijah

Butterz
People say this about Grime all the time, but what are the good tunes in funky at the moment? I am confused, more time I dont even know if im listening to american/uk/europe old or new (not sure if this matters). Seems like Marcus Nasty is still the only nang DJ. Am I wrong? Hook me up with some mixes!

Tim F

whats the nightslugs/ hyperdub axis are nightslugs and hyperdub related and if so how?

Not really related except in the sense Luka notes - more specifically I'd say that the audience for the two appears to be the same or substantially the same i.e. the same people who enthuse about Bok Bok/Mosca/Greena/etc. to me also enthuse about Cooly G/Roska/Scratcha DVA/Kode9's funky tunes.

Julio Bashmore, Doc Daneeka, R1 Ryders and Dark Knight being the other liminal figures who get a lot of love from this audience - although it'd be wrong to simply conflate all of these artists into a single category - it's precisely a function of their liminality that they're mostly very different from one another.

My favourite funky tunes of the last few months are:

Devine Collective - People Keep Dancing, Tribal Day Dream
Funkystepz - For You (vocal mix of "Bounce")
Lethal B ft. Donae'o - Flap Your Wings
Major Notes - Friend of Mine
Bass Boy & Marcus Nasty - Let's Get Nasty
Princess Nyah - Hooligans
Ny - Sea Sick (DJ Naughty Remix)
Screama & Merkz - Kiss
Fuzzy Logick & La Cartier - Call Me (Roska Remix)
J Labels - Touch Me

Almost finished an epic summary on Devine Collective to put my incontinent stanning into some sort of context.

alex

Do not read this.
Didn’t want to make a thread in the events section, just thought I would let anyone who is interested know, on Friday me and Rick Turnout will be going back to back for his debut set.

93 Feet East // 2130-2300 // 27/01 // free entry // gallery bar // Un Bongo // It’s All About // Jacking & Tech House

mos dan

fact music
i wrote a little sumfink arguing that funky skanks represent a kick-back against privatisation and web 2.0, and reassert dancing as an integral part of human history http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cultural-capital/2010/01/dancing-ehrenreich-mark-watson

i'm fed up of people slagging off skank tunes and mcs in funky, especially marcus nasty. it's not the argument itself (they're badly produced, unsophisticated, etc), it's the vociferousness of it.. especially pathetic of marcus given that he said something like (i'm paraphrasing) 'are you gonna bang doe is crap but i'll play it because people want to hear it'.

way to have your cake and eat it you prick - you're either 'better than that' or you're not.

alex

Do not read this.
further more if I was funky d? (is it?) I wouldnt want him playing the tune if he is chatting like that about it.

mms

sometimes
Not really related except in the sense Luka notes - more specifically I'd say that the audience for the two appears to be the same or substantially the same i.e. the same people who enthuse about Bok Bok/Mosca/Greena/etc. to me also enthuse about Cooly G/Roska/Scratcha DVA/Kode9's funky tunes.

no i don't think it's as clear cut as that really.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i wrote a little sumfink arguing that funky skanks represent a kick-back against privatisation and web 2.0, and reassert dancing as an integral part of human history http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cultural-capital/2010/01/dancing-ehrenreich-mark-watson

i'm fed up of people slagging off skank tunes and mcs in funky, especially marcus nasty. it's not the argument itself (they're badly produced, unsophisticated, etc), it's the vociferousness of it.. especially pathetic of marcus given that he said something like (i'm paraphrasing) 'are you gonna bang doe is crap but i'll play it because people want to hear it'.

way to have your cake and eat it you prick - you're either 'better than that' or you're not.

While I completely agree with your article that dancing is a great thing, I still get where that man was coming from as it's something I constantly gripe about. It's not so much that all these TV shows are about dancing per se, it's that they could be about anything and people would still gather round their televisions and for that half hour give detailed criticisms and observations on a topic which, beyond being totally uninformed about, they didn't even really care about previously.

Here's my idea for a show: Eager contestants are encouraged to come from all over the country to audition for a televised competition. The ads are never actually clear on how they are competing - just that they will be. It will be broadcast nationally, and the winner will become very rich and famous. When they arrive, they walk out onto the stage and are presented with a skip full of timber logs and an axe. They are told to chop as much wood as possible in two minutes; they can also pick a song of their choosing to accompany the act if they want.

Afterwards, a panel consisting of a B-list celebrity, a previous winner from another reality TV show, and a man in a suit make evaluating comments on finesse, style, originality, quantity of wood chopped, etc. with varying degrees of empathy. Some people progress further in the competition, others are eliminated. The final contestant remaining wins, but ultimately everyone loses. The show is called something like "BRITAIN GETS THE CHOP"

I guarantee within a few episodes, half the country will be in their front rooms commenting on Victor's promising overhead swing and how "it is very graceful, but he needs to diversify and show what he is capable of if he really wants to win this thing."

OK back to funky. It's alright isn't it. The MCs are shit tho.

Last edited:

Tim F

Dan I liked your piece and agree with you about skank dances.

Pretty sure that Marcus Nasty's complaints are limited to untested MCs jumping on other producers' instrumental tracks without permission and doing half-hearted jobs of it. He plays a fair amount of skank tunes (e.g. Black Biscuit's "Who's Skanking The Hardest" - which actually is on Funkystepz' "Funky Sound" but I get the impression they got permission). I assume he gets inundated with a lot of tunes of this sort that he doesn't play. He doesn't make this clear though, I think he assumes everyone else knows what's going on.

i.e. the only criticism of skank tunes I really agree with is that it's easier for poor tracks to be disseminated because all you have to do is record a rudimentary vocal (e.g. "If you like me 079 me!") over the top of a readymade tune, and easier to bring to people's attention because they recognise and like the track underneath - whereas a weak funky production simply won't get played or, if it is, be rembered by the listener.

Here's my Devine Collective piece btw:

http://getphysical.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-not-trying-to-be-legislative-when-i.html

carmen

&#8195;
People say this about Grime all the time, but what are the good tunes in funky at the moment? I am confused, more time I dont even know if im listening to american/uk/europe old or new (not sure if this matters)

yeah i cant tell if its MoscaGreenaPangaeOrbison track either. the fact that its converged into an indiscernible replicon means the action is probably elsewhere

dannynative in vulive.co.uk/podcasts, and the Smuggler's Inn podcast ive bee digging recently

computer_rock

yeah i cant tell if its MoscaGreenaPangaeOrbison track either. the fact that its converged into an indiscernible replicon means the action is probably elsewhere

dannynative in vulive.co.uk/podcasts, and the Smuggler's Inn podcast ive bee digging recently

i can see where you're coming from but i think there are artists on that 'other' side of funky who stand out, stylistically i mean rather than anything else. i think joy orbison who you mentioned is one. ramadanman is certainly another.