Benny Bunter

Yep, those Ossie tracks are brilliant, I'm fired up to do a mix now with some of these.

You checked out Sony yet? Some great tunes of his on Uk Funky.com. This one's hard...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tim F

That's a very rude list of tracks Andy.

Enjoying the Ossie stuff too - the R&B stuff most of all though!

gumdrops

dont know about anyone else but what stations do you listen to for funky? most pirates in london just seem to be playing ukg with a couple of funky shows here and there. kinda odd.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
dont know about anyone else but what stations do you listen to for funky? most pirates in london just seem to be playing ukg with a couple of funky shows here and there. kinda odd.

Not an expert, but Deja seem to be pretty heavily on it right now. Was thinking of posting this anyway, for my own/others reference:

Mondays:
Weeksy and Bandit, 10 - 12
Thursdays:
Danny Native, 8 - 10 [plays other house styles alongside funky, pretty good though]
Smoove Kriminal, 12 - 2
Fridays:
Dubplate Malice, 8 - 10

They have lots of other funky DJs that I haven't checked yet too - Locksmith from Rudimental on Mondays 8 - 10 looks like it could be interesting. What the frick has happened to Mak 10's show though - have I missed something here?
Btw Elijah if you're still checking this, I'd say Weeksy and Smoove Kriminal are solid non-Marcus DJs that you might like (if a Rinse dj is allowed to listen to Deja, of course ;) ).

Will cross-refrence this post in the radio show thread in a bit...

mms

sometimes
there are livefm and truelive who play a mix of funky and garage etc, garage is an extension of funky to them it seems, what happened and is still happening with them is cobbling together records from all over to keep that garage / house vibe going while producers in the uk worked on tunes to fill the gap. Things aren't as stable and well formed as rinse or deja djs who play mostly uk stuff.

gumdrops

i can pick up deja sometimes on my radio but i hate listening to it on the site as it sounds like... internet radio.

TRU_G

I wonder if anyone can help me

I heard this one tune at Rinse vs FWD and even tho it was a tune i knew, ive been trying to work out what it is for long

Untold was playing it and it does sound like one of his tunes

It had a funky-ish bounce to it was it was basically percussion with a continous voice sample pitched up and down to make the melody

gumdrops

resist the fact/hyperdub/bok bok monopoly.

if i see a poster of any of their events, im gonna deface them like those david cameron posters.

they must never win.

Tim F

I actually rather like the original "Riverside", that Lil Silva remix is so weak though. Dude's remixes almost always have that zero-effort vibe to them though.

Funnily enough a fair amount of Sidney Samson productions already sound very UK Funky-ish.

There's a decent article to be written on how mersh dance music is converging around a kind of post-electrohouse/minimal psuedo-carribean hip-house feel (i.e big territorial overlap with UK funky), which I wouldn't have guessed only a few years ago - not just "Riverside", but Afrojack, "Pon De Floor" etc.

It's the Vato Gonzalez Great Unifier Effect maybe.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Funk Fight Funk Fight Funk Fight....

Nah, no need, Deadboy is great and imo (admitedly, based on the two tune I've heard by him, lol) fits into funky. Stylistically, anyway, obviously scene-wise slightly different people are playing him so far. Actually, I was listening to Omni Trio earlier and it occured to me that Deadboy's (musical) place in funky is similar to the place of early ambient stuff like that in jungle. There you go, first pointless comparison of the day. ;)

Oh and I have to say that I prefer that Riverside remix to the original. Don't get me wrong though, it's still far from fantastic...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
there are livefm and truelive who play a mix of funky and garage etc, garage is an extension of funky to them it seems, what happened and is still happening with them is cobbling together records from all over to keep that garage / house vibe going while producers in the uk worked on tunes to fill the gap. Things aren't as stable and well formed as rinse or deja djs who play mostly uk stuff.

Cool, truelive seem to have a stream so will check them out sometime.
I def don't have a problem at all with people mixing funky with garage etc, I just want to make sure I keep up on all the new UK producers.