You could say some of what LR Groove and (specially) Razzler Man are doing resembles a lot of early dubstep. edit: Dj Tazer also has a bit of that feel

Also,
If anyone makes a tune that’s obviously influenced by trad house then people (and I fully own up to being one of the worst offenders for this..) will say that the scene is destined to become too tasteful and tepid, that it’s going backwards and losing its sense of identity.
Sorry to keep insisting on this, and it might be my own bias, but I only seem to hear this kind of stuff when I come on here, or from outsiders in general. I don't think anyone into the scene (as in making, playing or promoting the music) has any kind of problem with that, house only seems to be a dirty word for people coming from a dubstep angle.

Last edited:
This is something a lot of people on this forum should love though: Ema Lou uploaded a recording of her show on Live FM with Mc's Jammin & Smilee Dan, full of bangin instrumentals and hard energy stuff that'll probably appeal people who was into Petchy's shows last year with Topsee, Shantie etc

rrrivero

Thanks, man, sounding good. Reminds me of how much I love Champion's 1994 (and pretty much everything else he's ever touched)

edit: baaangin set!

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Sorry to keep insisting on this, and it might be my own bias, but I only seem to hear this kind of stuff when I come on here, or from outsiders in general. I don't think anyone into the scene (as in making, playing or promoting the music) has any kind of problem with that, house only seems to be a dirty word for people coming from a dubstep angle.

Fair enough, I take your point, and part of what I was doing by posting that was critiquing my own position and admitting that I'd taken it too far in the past. House certainly isn't a dirty word for me. Currently I'm probably listening to and enjoying more house than I ever have before, especially the old stuff, and I've played stuff like Karizma and DJ Gregory on the PR show before.
Put it this way though - funky DJs don't hate house, but there are certainly house DJs (including ones on the pirates) for whom anything too funky or broken or grimey is off-limits. And I wouldn't want that approach to become the norm to the extent that people making or playing stuff that's less obviously related to the received image of house music get squeezed out. But as I said, I know think this is less likely than I did in the past.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Paul - what Rivero & David said. Also some Sunday Roast bits like Reel Free and SNM and tunes like Hard Cash by T Williams (though that one's a bit older). Can put up some links if you're interested, although my internet connection is being shite tonight. I've played most of these on the radio show before. If you listen to Illmana & Mikee Spice on Nasty FM they play a fair amount of these kind of tunes (although they also sometimes play stuff like Flux Pavillion...). Seb Chew on Rinse as well.
Corpsey - awww shucks, thanks mate. Did you catch David on Sub at the weekend? 'Twas a banger. :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound

maybe you don't hear it from the "scene" as half of urban london only discovered house existed 3 years ago. perhaps it's not dubstep people who find it a dirty word, just those to whom linear house isn't a novel idea?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Paul I've prob posted this before but here is Matt's EP if you're interested:
http://www.junodownload.com/products/from-bank-to-brick-lane/1799007-02/
Features Moodz and also Brick Lane which is imo an even better exploration of the same kinds of techniques/sounds. Then you have Shake and Bank which are top-notch uptempo bouncy things.
I can understand people feeling this stuff only has a tangential relation to funky as such and more in common with p-d-word things. The main reason why I tend to post it in this thread is that in Matt's case funky is where he has come through scene-wise (the UKFunky.net guys especially have been pushing his tune very hard). Also I feel even at its most drifty or hesitant his material retains a certain... conciseness maybe?, that I associate with funky. That's perhaps a bit subjective though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oh yeah and that DJ EmaLou set Dave posted is a lot, the remix of Bullacake near the start is a killer and then there's another 3 or so tunes in the middle I now really want to find out the names of. Jammin is on form and this Smiley Dan seems kinda charming as well.

rrrivero

This one could go in the post-dubstep thread, which is a good thing of course :)
Hah, well I already posted it there a few months ago

Oh yeah and that DJ EmaLou set Dave posted is a lot, the remix of Bullacake near the start is a killer and then there's another 3 or so tunes in the middle I now really want to find out the names of. Jammin is on form and this Smiley Dan seems kinda charming as well.
Yeah I really liked those MCs, wouldn't mind hearing more of them. Much like some other posters in this thread, I too am getting rather tired of Ranking and Shantie, and Mighty Moe et al can go a bit overboard imho.

Also I've been wondering, has anybody ever heard a funky set with female MCs? As a relative newcomer to the scene, I've yet to encounter a single instance, but there's bound to be some, and I'd simply love to hear it.

Last edited:

rrrivero

Murdz and Tama House on live fm right now. It's pretty much straight house right now but...it's looovely

Before this I was listening to Illmana and Mikee Spice on Nasty FM but idk, right now this just makes me a lot happier

Last edited:

old dad

the first funky girlband?

http://www.rdofficial.com/

i dont know why geeneus is embarassed to put his name to this - sounds just like katy b but with better vocals. i like got me burning. though i like to think theyre singing about STDs.

klamidia.png

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
oh shit that screen shot might be one of the funniest things i've ever seen but then again i might just be drunk