This years The Books/Animal Collective/Junior Boys?

jwd

Meant nothing David D, beyond me feeling Matt might not be a Kompakt fan and might have some intriguing reasons for that. It's always interesting to know about these things, the how & why of people's tastes. Fascinates ME, anyway. Matt, what microhouse-&-beyond HAS grabbed you?

"Timecode" is fantastic isn't it.

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
Hey DavidD! :) What I like isn't of monumental consequence. Yeah I probably ought to look into Microhouse a bit more...I just tend to put a lot of energy into it (when I'm hunting) and come back with only a few things that tickle my fancy. It's a personal thing y'unnerstan.

we talked about this b4 and i know where you are coming from, I have liked some stuff around that kompakt axis tho but never really got into their own thing, I liked luciano, matthew dear, mathew jonson, some of the villalobos, fabrice lig, isolee and that minimise series by donnacha costello this year. also the jimmy edgar on war p

also liked the last radian cd alot, although there are alot of improv and electronic units about at the mo, alot of them are wick wick wack though but this lot have enough to pull it off.
load record too i've heard stuff i' ve enjoyed, stress and storm and the mighty lightning bolt.

xero

was minusone
Without wishing to get picky over genre-labels, I always thought microhouse referred to stuff like say Thomas Brinkmann or Akufen that uses the minutiae & ephemera of digital sound, like the clicks & cuts glitchtronica of mille plateaux but with a 4-4 or thereabouts beat. The cologne sound seems to be something altogether different - more of a straightforward development from deep house and techno but spliced with eighties synth pop & euro-disco as well as of course glam rock - its not a fetishisation of process like the micro-stuff. For me there's still tons of exciting dance records around at the moment, mostly coming from Germany, France & Italy, it could even be seen as similar to the situation in the early to mid eighties when the disco axis shifted from America to Europe.

Woebot

minusone said:
Without wishing to get picky over genre-labels, I always thought microhouse referred to stuff like say Thomas Brinkmann or Akufen that uses the minutiae & ephemera of digital sound, like the clicks & cuts glitchtronica of mille plateaux but with a 4-4 or thereabouts beat.
It's all rock'n'roll to me. :rolleyes:

Eppy

Hmm?

Isn't Annie this year's Junior Boys?

I feel like I'm missing something about the classification scheme here, but to throw out a few things: Meow Meow's album I very much like, the Phoenix album is great but maybe not so au current now, uh, half of the Dogs Die In Hot Cars album, the new Donna Summer album...eh, I've been pretty bored with electronic stuff this quarter, if that's what we're focusing on.

The Bloc Party EP is HORRIBLE.

Jim Daze

I was in Smallfish Records in Old street the other, desperate to buy a record, y'know, anything interesting.
Not a thing on the new release wall to excite even the ghost of techno past. So I ask the guy about something that I saw that looked intrigeing, a little mini cd. "Whats that mate ?", reply "Electronica", then nothing, it's like I know it's bleedin elctronica, is it any good, ...........

electronica as a genre suckss a massive one, it is such a dead end and smallfish need to get some decent records in..

bun-u

Trumpet Police
electronica as a genre suckss a massive one, it is such a dead end and smallfish need to get some decent records in..[/QUOTE]

I felt exactly the same way about that place…set up with a clear ethos/niche 5 or 6 years ago and now in a cul-de-sac. Last time I was in there I struggled through the stacks of colour dot denoted vinyl and eventually had a little listen to Wolf Eyes – my god is it me or isn’t sub pop doing the same ol thing over glitch/noise electronica just a little …obvious? On a good note though, smallfish have a downstairs café, which means they have a toilet, which means that I have an answer to my propensity to empty my bowels when flicking through vinyl….

kek-w

Circle! (For Finnish post-Kraut thrills.) But they've only been going for nearly 13 years...so, er, hardly new.

As for (eek) "electronica", well, Grime just makes most things sound a bit like the electronic equivalent of Dadrock.

mms

sometimes
i dunno there is alot of good electronic music out there but there is alot of that kinda melodic mid 90's stuff or sloshy almost new age coffee table stuff which is a bit old now.
s.a.b.l.a. music, ie sounds a bit like autechre/aphex .

the eternals ? well, I wanted to like them and the sleeve is great, the record has a few great tracks but I keep not wanting to listen to it again

the records that really moved me so far this year were the last Destroyer which is bound to become a classic, the Double's Palm Fronds which was so very weird and enchanting both before and after I changed my speakers, ariel pink of which I am awaiting the latest release on vinyl, lemme see
the futureheads, they rule
yup

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I love Circle, indeed played a gig with them the other day, only problem is their albums never seem to live up to live performances. The Scandinavian Acid Mother's Temple perhaps. Having dispensed with a guitarist, they're much less hard, much more trancey, indeed not quite so far from electric era Miles Davis (what with the Fender Rhodes action).

Sufjan Stevens I quite like, although he's so wet and weedy it's almost the exception that supports Matt's rule that all current indie pop is rubbish.

Richard Youngs, though, is indeed as good as JWD suggests. Nice to see Jon here.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Oh, and the Spektrum album is very good. Punk-funk crossed with avant noise, but generally better and more essential than you'd expect that description to suggest. It's quite like Mu or DNA- surreal, surprising, twisted. Even The Wire bigged that one up- indeed I think the Wire was choosing an avant-funk standard bearer that it genuinely hoped might have a modicum of real success.

Animal Collective

I love Animal Collective's sung tongs, but if you listen closely to Smiley Smile by The Beach Boys there are wonderful similarities in vocal and spirit, not as groundbreaking as some may believe....Panda Bear is a different matter.

Backjob

The Blood Brothers? I thought it was awful, but a lot of people seemed to like it...

Agree that the Black Dice thing is a tedious re-tread of a tedious re-tread of something that happened around about 1992. It's like seeing baggy trousers transition from gangs to rappers to ravers and finally end up on the trasheap of nu-metal a couple of years back.

My booshwah pick of the year would be /rupture vs Mutamassik's "Bidoun sessions" but I'm not sure that quite counts...

Melmoth

Bruxist
I heard the new Fennez on a decent rig last night for the first time and it was a revelation.
Great slabs of decaying noise, beautiful and true.

Woebot

hint said:
joanna newsom - everything I had been led to believe devendra banhart was :)
bloody hell you're not wrong about the joanne newsom. shes fantastic. i also checked out the banhart (FINALLY!) and my feeling was, er like so what. im afraid he strikes me as a complete flake/fake. when he hits that trex warble it's a pretty empty moment. the newsom on the other hand, she sounds like a profoundly disturbed eight year old, really relishes making her strange noises, hits notes with guileful clumsiness. too smart to be cloying, too bugwired to be mainstream. that harp is stunning too. still stuck on side one :) the parrallel with db is adroit and illuminating.

i do have a feeling jwd is gonna lambast her as the new cyndi lauper, but i can live with that. the tunes are beyond seductive (only bad thing about it thus far is the crap cover). not quite vashti (the benchmark innit) but damn nearly getting there.