Chuck D and Flava Flav

elgato

I just dont know
i actually couldn't believe i was awake when i saw that show on MTV

speaking of the RZA there is a really good Invisible Jukebox feature with him in The Wire this month, its not online yet but if it gets put up its well worth a read

mos dan

fact music
I'd be more worried about Chuck D's support of a facist organisation (Nation of Islam)

is this something he addresses in that 'fight the power' book? i've always meant to read that. i wonder what he thinks about obama... hopefully we'll get a bit of commentary on the night.

viktorvaughn

is this something he addresses in that 'fight the power' book? i've always meant to read that. i wonder what he thinks about obama... hopefully we'll get a bit of commentary on the night.

He was in Guardian or Observer a few days ago and he was aked about Obama, I'm sure you can find it on the website somewhere?

elgato

I just dont know
from his website:

"BARACK TURNING DOWN HILLARY VP OFFER Although I've been encouraging that this Dream Team thing be at the end of this dog biting primary thing, the fact that BARACK OBAMA punched back and called out the fact that he was ahead- not behind - made me tip my black hat. Again I repeat I think the system is outdated and will require a team to get this place on beat with the world. I still think job wise that H. C. as prez and B. O. as VP can revolutionize the position, but H.C.'s ego done screwed her out. Its like I hear the N-word seeping out of the look on her face. Plus B. O. spanked the naysayers when it came to finally discussing race and his Pastor Reverend Wright. Again I'm not talking the campaign only here I'm talking the combination being able to handle a difficult leftover job these next four years not only in duty, world policy, but also in perception. CHANGE means revolution , I simply say GO O. And I have no expectations that allow me to be jaded no matter what happens, as with the past three elections- I will be prepared the day after Election Day no matter what."

:slanted: i can't believe he would even consider Hilary Clinton as president

from the observer:

"I ask him, in conclusion, the inevitable question: does he, as an avowed hater of governments, support Barack Obama? He falls uncharacteristically silent for a moment or two. 'I support him for all the right and all the wrong reasons,' he says. 'It's a moment, you know, it's definitely a moment, but let's not kid ourselves, it will be very hard for him to do the job. They'll make it hard for him, as hard as they can. To tell the truth, I believed in the dream ticket to begin with. I thought that he could be the greatest Vice President ever. I think, in a way, he'd have more power as Vice President.'"

seems like he's taking Obama being black as more or less the only relevant factor, hardly the ferocious critical eye i would have hoped for, he kind of assumes that Obama has the ideal intentions - "it will be very hard for him to do the job" - surely "what is the job and how would he do it?" is pretty important

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
He's not still affiliated with that lot though, is he? And it was Professor Griff who was the main Farrakhan follower, AFAIK...

To be honest I'm not up to date on what Chuck D thinks these days. Its a riposte that comes from a tired conversation with people of my age moaning that the relevance hip hop ended after the ‘conscious’ PE.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To be honest I'm not up to date on what Chuck D thinks these days. Its a riposte that comes from a tired conversation with people of my age moaning that the relevance hip hop ended after the ‘conscious’ PE.

Fair enough - I was going mainly on what I read in the Observer article mentioned above, anyway.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
anyone going to the 'nation of millions' show at brixton academy tomorrow? no? just me?

Will definitely be there tonight...saw a concert film of them performing recently, and while it was somewhat underwhelming, 'Don't Believe the Hype' and 'Rebel Without a Pause' were still astonishingly raw.

don_quixote

Trent End
shouldn't the question be - if flava flav knows public enemy despise what he is so much, then why doesn't he leave? as someone said public enemy are full of contradictions and griff was only ejected cos his position was untenable. fact is old ties are stronger that pe's ethics AND chuck d is open that contradictions will be present. what's the quote? "people are always trying to catch me in double-talk - i ain't a politician so why are people trying to make me one?" something like that.

mos dan

fact music
flav was actually an integral part of the show yesterday, laughing stock or not. and not just as a jester either, his contribution in both rapping and hyping the crowd was pretty impt.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Did anyone else who was at the show on Friday find Flav's closing 15-minute political speech a little bit forced? 'Fuck George Bush' seems a little bit negative and backward-looking, considering the very real possibility of the first black president being elected in November...

crackerjack

Did anyone else who was at the show on Friday find Flav's closing 15-minute political speech a little bit forced? 'Fuck George Bush' seems a little bit negative and backward-looking, considering the very real possibility of the first black president being elected in November...

Dunno about forced, it was just daft. I think the rest of them felt the show was done and Flav didn't want to get offstage.

for anyone that went, what was the show like? good? did it meet expectations?

Yes, exceeded them, although they visibly ran out of steam half way, i thought (Black Steel was terrible - they obv never do it live anymore, Chuck was reading the lyrics off paper and the girl behind me knew the first verse better than him), before clawing it back for the mini-greatest hits closing segment. i don't usually pay for gigs (it's a hard blag life), but I'm glad i did for this one.