1000 albums to hear before you die in The Guardian

henry s

Street Fighting Man
nice list, those Detroit songs...pretty amazing legacy...you'd be hard-pressed to pick another US city with as diverse a heritage as that...

the young Bob Seger looks uncannily like Ariel Pink!

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I'm a bit surprised by the number of compilations in this list, including the only Cabaret Voltaire CD I have; a collection of 12" singles from the mid-80s. :slanted:

Maybe it's not only a "1000 LPs to hear" list but a "1000 LPs to hear that you can actually go and buy right now" list :)

On the list itself: obviously there's lots of stuff that might be regarded as missing, lots of stuff that you'd never have thought of at all, lots of less-famous-LP-by-a-particular-artist, and that's all fine. The only thing that made me go "no!!!!" was when they picked the totally wrong LP by someone....

Gang of Four - Entertainment
And that while commending "Andy Gill's slashing guitar style". Yes, but Entertainment is over-produced and flat. They didn't get the sound down properly on vinyl until the second LP: Solid Gold.

Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns
Bah. The critics always gush about this one, but it's easily the most bland of her LPs. Any of the others would do really (discounting her post-Mingus garbage of course).

Joy Division - Closer
I mean, come on. Picking the less usual LP is all well and good, but not for Joy Division. Unknown Pleasures or stfu.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
"although their debut apparently didn't capture their monstrously powerful live sound" — so why pick it then? The Great Deceiver does the business.

The Sex Pistols - Spunk
Endless bullshitters over the years have claimed that Spunk as superior to the Bollocks, and with impunity since hardly anyone ever heard Spunk. Except that it's now been reissued and basically the Bollocks pisses all over it: much more power, more energy, massively constructed in the studio by Chris Thomas and Steve Jones. Spunk is utterly lame in comparison.

June Tabor - At the Wood's Heart
Not the worst of her recent LPs, but still much too recent: JT hams it up loads nowadays, which makes the music less — not more — emotionally powerful. Any of the LPs from 70s and 80s would have been better.

The only LP I was surprised to see omitted was Goldie's Timeless. I thought for sure that'd be in there.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"nice list, those Detroit songs...pretty amazing legacy...you'd be hard-pressed to pick another US city with as diverse a heritage as that..."
Any city in the world really I reckon. So incredibly important to two major scenes and then to have the stuff like the Stooges and George Clinton and Eminem and the like happening outside that - not to mention (possibly) my favourite song 96 Tears.

crackerjack

Gang of Four - Entertainment
And that while commending "Andy Gill's slashing guitar style". Yes, but Entertainment is over-produced and flat. They didn't get the sound down properly on vinyl until the second LP: Solid Gold.

You be mad. Entertainment is sparse, raw and hypnotic. There's never been a time in the last 25 years when I haven't loved it.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
You be mad. Entertainment is sparse, raw and hypnotic. There's never been a time in the last 25 years when I haven't loved it.

I think it's dreadfully thin and bears no relation to what they were like live. The earlier Damaged Goods EP was more raw — just compare the two versions of Love Like Anthrax — and Solid Gold was an awesome crangfest, with Jimmy Douglass at the controls and Andy Gill's guitar cranked right up over the funk.

:D

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think it's dreadfully thin and bears no relation to what they were like live. The earlier Damaged Goods EP was more raw — just compare the two versions of Love Like Anthrax
This is true. The earlier version of LLA is way betterer. Entertainment sounds pretty good but you can see what got lost.

Last edited: